Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S P90DL or P100D vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with either a Model S P90DL or P100D driven a Model 3 yet? I would love to hear first hand accounts on how does the driving compare? Full launch from stop, cornering, etc. Can you live without the sub 3.0sec 0-60 launch? Does Model 3 feel slow?

I've read plenty of posts from other Model S owners who have driven Model 3, but not anything from the fastest Model S owners. Would love to get this perspective.

I have an early MX P90D with Ludicrous (2 years old) and received my M3 in January. Having fun alternating between the two. The MX has far more room, rides substantially higher and I love all the automation. The MX is definitely faster in all respects. However, I am pleasantly surprised by how fast the M3 is off the line and how quick it is for most driving scenarios. The 0-60 times are meaningless unless you hit the track. The M3 handles really well and is very fast with a comfortable ride. A sportscar like feel with a smaller steering wheel and very low ride. Definitely not slow feeling. Cornering is tight and the car hugs the road. For the price, I am very impressed and happy. Still love the X, though.

P85DL myself running 21” stagger summer, 21” straight winters, Model 3 is my wife’s running on 18” stock.

It’s an unfair comparison overall, particularly vs Ludicrous. The 3’s significantly less aggressive 0-30, gives a reasonable effort 30-60, though again is way out-classed 60-90+
Another way to compare: the 3 feels like P85DL in “Chill” 0-30, “Sport“ 30-60 and “Chill” 65+
The traction control, imo, is better than old p85+ (RWD) though not as good as AWD (and that’s with current sottozero winter tires on)

The 3 steering in standard is similar to P85DL sport mode, the majority reason being the smaller wheel on the 3.
The driver feedback is surprisingly good in the 3, and remains predictable though maybe more nannying, eg pushing hard on exit you can get the back end loose though car will fight you ;)

Suspension is surprisingly good, though I can completely understand why some are already going for dual-rate springs:Model 3's Ride Quality. We have newer factory springs and they’re decent, though could be better through corners

Range is significantly better on 3.

AP 2.5 is almost as good as AP 1.0 and I do see more significant improvements now on 3. I don’t exp3ct any significant updates to P85DL now.

The navigation is actually good on the 3. I much prefer it, though desperately miss my teslawaze on the browser ;)

Ok, let’s get to the root of your questions:
I drive my P85DL daily, or as often as I can. I drive it in Ludicrous all the time and moderate with right foot. I would miss this, though the 3 is lighter and more efficient. I strongly suspect Tesla is holding a lot back on its 0-30 potential.

I drove a few hundred miles in my P85DL yesterday, and a hundred+ in my wife’s 3 today. They are both fun. I wouldn’t exchange my car for hers today, though it could become very interesting when pxxd Model 3 occurs as that could be a very fun car

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
P85DL myself running 21” stagger summer, 21” straight winters, Model 3 is my wife’s running on 18” stock.

It’s an unfair comparison overall, particularly vs Ludicrous. The 3’s significantly less aggressive 0-30, gives a reasonable effort 30-60, though again is way out-classed 60-90+
Another way to compare: the 3 feels like P85DL in “Chill” 0-30, “Sport“ 30-60 and “Chill” 65+
The traction control, imo, is better than old p85+ (RWD) though not as good as AWD (and that’s with current sottozero winter tires on)

The 3 steering in standard is similar to P85DL sport mode, the majority reason being the smaller wheel on the 3.
The driver feedback is surprisingly good in the 3, and remains predictable though maybe more nannying, eg pushing hard on exit you can get the back end loose though car will fight you ;)

Suspension is surprisingly good, though I can completely understand why some are already going for dual-rate springs:Model 3's Ride Quality. We have newer factory springs and they’re decent, though could be better through corners

Range is significantly better on 3.

AP 2.5 is almost as good as AP 1.0 and I do see more significant improvements now on 3. I don’t exp3ct any significant updates to P85DL now.

The navigation is actually good on the 3. I much prefer it, though desperately miss my teslawaze on the browser ;)

Ok, let’s get to the root of your questions:
I drive my P85DL daily, or as often as I can. I drive it in Ludicrous all the time and moderate with right foot. I would miss this, though the 3 is lighter and more efficient. I strongly suspect Tesla is holding a lot back on its 0-30 potential.

I drove a few hundred miles in my P85DL yesterday, and a hundred+ in my wife’s 3 today. They are both fun. I wouldn’t exchange my car for hers today, though it could become very interesting when pxxd Model 3 occurs as that could be a very fun car

Thanks Mike. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Yea I’ve been thinking about downgrading from P90DL to 3 but I think I would miss the acceleration too much.

Reactions: MikeBur