Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid : 137F battery temperature after supercharging ????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

First time leaving on a long trip with the Plaid.
I have Scan My Tesla on my phone.
I notice the car is running the battery hot all the time in summer while normal driving (no active cooling before 104F and maintains this temperature, sport mode or Plaid mode does not change anything).
While supercharging I could see with horror that the battery was maintaining 137F !!! (58C)

Can other Plaid user tell me if this is normal, a scanmytesla bug reporting battery temperatures ?

This kind of temperatures on Li-Ion batteries would be extremely bad...

Waiting on feedback from you guys....

Thanks

This kind of temperatures on Li-Ion batteries would be extremely bad...
Everything is a trade-off.

Prolonged storage or operation at high temperatures is bad from a degradation perspective. On the contrary, DC fast charging is overall better for the cells at a toasty warm temperature to minimize lithium plating so the BMS allows (and even encourages) much higher pack temperatures temporarily.

Continuous active cooling results in an efficiency hit and as we all know, range is king and the #1 concern for most EV buyers.

What is the overall best compromise in your opinion? The batteries would probably prefer that we always keep them at a comfortable 65 Fahrenheit and of course only charge and discharge them very slowly - but that would make for a pretty crappy EV.

I checked Bjorn Nyland vids on YT during his 1000km challenge with the Plaid and battery was at 56.5C with 1C outside temp (winter) on 10-50% charges, so it looks like this is normal for a Plaid...
Super hot but I guess okay for Supercharging... I only supercharge a handfull of times each year so not so concerning I guess....