Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if they also replace the wheel hubs when they replace the knuckle on the pre 3/22 cars?

Asking coz I removed the oem studs and pressed in longer and stronger MPP/MSI wheel studs and would hate to go back to an oem stud hub.
IMG_2121.jpeg

Not that this track pack seems to be in my immediate future in any case given what the local service manager told me about not letting me install it elsewhere!

Last edited:
Anyone know if they also replace the wheel hubs when they replace the knuckle on the pre 3/22 cars?

Asking coz I removed the oem studs and pressed in longer and stronger MPP/MSI wheel studs and would hate to go back to an oem stud hub.View attachment 958290

Not that this track pack seems to be in my immediate future in any case given what the local service manager told me about not letting me install it elsewhere!
Simple answer. No hub replacement.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Yea, see BMW M. My SAI forged BMW wheel came out of balance brand new.

F fact: The legendary Porsche Carrera GT also has carbon parts... from China. Shock of the century.

My point isn't that every wheel from China/Taiwan aren't deserving of serious consideration. Generally speaking, I personally bias heavily toward spending my Benjamins on known brands. You also tend to get that money back on the resale transaction.

OEMs operate within the slimmest of margins. Every single cent they can shave off every nut and bolt (+wheel) can mean being a sales success or a total loss of billions of dollars. Money talks.

I'm guessing SAI supplies the Zero Gs? No idea.
Thats of course a personal choice to bias towards brands but I dont believe wheels fall particularly well in the resell arena. The reason is that wheels are like a pair of sneakers. People collect them but once they are worn, that value pretty much hits the toilet. LIke used cars, unless you know the history well, who knows what they've been subjected to and the actual condition. To your point, if a BMW wheel new can come out of balance, whats to guarantee to a consumer looking for used wheels what they are actually getting?
Last I checked, their flow formed budget wheels come from Enkei outta Japan. Their 6061 t6 supplier is Aluminum Precision outta SoCal.

Wouldn’t surprise me if pricing pressures rerouted the ship to the other island in East Asia for all things non-forged. 🤷🏻
Nope. half of all HRE flow form wheel designs are made in Taiwan....

Hello,
OK picked up car today with full track pack installed. Some questions I need to get cleared up with some help. From others out there.
After I got home with the old rotors in the original ST boxes I noticed the following. 3 boxes were labeled with bright red stickers indicating Major Large Cracks! Only one box had a green ”good”. Did I just get 3 bad rotors installed? Look at the pictures.

Attachments

• 20230721_150520.jpeg
    20230721_150520.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230721_150528.jpeg
    20230721_150528.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 90
Hello,
OK picked up car today with full track pack installed. Some questions I need to get cleared up with some help. From others out there.
After I got home with the old rotors in the original ST boxes I noticed the following. 3 boxes were labeled with bright red stickers indicating Major Large Cracks! Only one box had a green ”good”. Did I just get 3 bad rotors installed? Look at the pictures.
Ugh. Looks that way ! My boxes have none of those stickers.

Also notice your box that doesn’t have a sticker has hand written “Good” on it.

Last edited:
Hello,
Sounds like the SC has some splainin’ to do.

We don't know what that sticker means to ST/Tesla. We, also, don't know for sure that those are the boxes your new rotors came out of. (It likely is, but they could have just grabbed any empty box laying around to put your old rotors in.)

Hello all,
I also noticed the ride heights top of tire to fender edge were all different. Left front two fingers tire to fender, right front 2 fingers +5mm, left rear 3 fingers, and right rear almost 4 fingers. measured with ride hight set to medium. Does anyone know the correct spec and how to properly measure the 4 ride heights?
thanks. I will post some driving impressions soon.

Attachments

• 20230721_151211.jpeg
    20230721_151211.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230721_151105.jpeg
    20230721_151105.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230721_151046.jpeg
    20230721_151046.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 63
Hello all,
I also noticed the ride heights top of tire to fender edge were all different. Left front two fingers tire to fender, right front 2 fingers +5mm, left rear 3 fingers, and right rear almost 4 fingers. measured with ride hight set to medium. Does anyone know the correct spec and how to properly measure the 4 ride heights?
thanks. I will post some driving impressions soon.
When on the alignment rack Tesla uses a tool to measure four points. One point at each corner in a specific location for the service manual these points must not deviate plus or -5 mm or a height optimization must be performed in toolbox 3.

After the car has been jacked up in Jack mode it takes a bit of driving to resettle all four corners. Normally all four corners will be off in that +5 to -5 mm region minimally. Rarely are they all exactly equal measurements left to right.

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 68
When on the alignment rack Tesla uses a tool to measure four points. One point at each corner in a specific location for the service manual these points must not deviate plus or -5 mm or a height optimization must be performed in toolbox 3.

After the car has been jacked up in Jack mode it takes a bit of driving to resettle all four corners. Normally all four corners will be off in that +5 to -5 mm region minimally. Rarely are they all exactly equal measurements left to right.
Thanks, great info. I drove my car 32 miles, so it should have settled. My deviation is +-15mm easy. Will try and talk with SC, but that seems to be almost impossible.

Thanks, great info. I drove my car 32 miles, so it should have settled. My deviation is +-15mm easy. Will try and talk with SC, but that seems to be almost impossible.
They may have to put it on the rack and preform a height optimization.

Did they align your car at all as part of the install? Did you need new knuckles ? If so an alignment should have been stacked onto the service order.

OK here is some feedback for the full track package with knuckles wheels, tires. Driving no track mode yet, ride heigh medium. Comparison to Arachnids 21” with Pilot S4.
Pros:
1. Tires are really quiet. Really. Goodyear 3R.
2. Ride is maybe a little smoother, especially over bumps.
3. Handling is much improved. Makes you push hard into turns. Almost like the new software also affects non track mode suspension reactions.
4. You can feel the car seems more nimble. Maybe lighter sprung weight for sure.
5. Car seems to stop faster without ABS kicking in. No more OMG feeling when braking hard when coming up on someone.
I know, Im not offering stopping distance data here, but after driving my friends GT3, I know what good brakes can do, and now this plaid is much better.

Cons:
1. Brake pedal has more travel before you feel the grab, but easy to get used to.
2. Tires are soft and sticky so they kick up small road debris and stones. Also will suck in the rain, so be careful. When they wear out I might go back to Pilot S4.
3. My early adopter issues. But hey, hopefully someone can learn and have a better upgrade experience.

Am I glad Imdid the upgrade? Yes, I agree with some others who say this is the way it should have been originally.
cheers

• Informative
Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Just a heads up on these tires. My last performance car was a C7 Z06 with the Z07 track package. It came with Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires which have a very similar compound. I would not run these on the street. Yeah, they'll be bad in the rain but it isn't about that. These tires have a very limited number of heat cycles before they turn into garbage. If you run them on the street you'll find they become useless even while they still have all their limited tread. It will be a slow change so you might not notice it but once you change tires to something else, such as a PS4S, you'll be blown away how much better the "non race" tires are. If you daily the car these tires will die quickly. If you're not getting on the track with them I'd highly suggest swapping them out and selling them to a track rat. Enjoy!

Also, if anyone is in the NH, VT, ME, Boston area I'd really really appreciate getting a feel for your car. I'm this close to pulling the trigger on a red Plaid S and getting rid of my MP3 with MPP sport suspension.

OK here is some feedback for the full track package with knuckles wheels, tires. Driving no track mode yet, ride heigh medium. Comparison to Arachnids 21” with Pilot S4.
Pros:
1. Tires are really quiet. Really. Goodyear 3R.
to.
2. Tires are soft and sticky so they kick up small road debris and stones. Also will suck in the rain, so be careful. When they wear out I might go back to Pilot S4.
Are you planning on using the Goodyear 3R for street? The 3R compound has a life cycle of 20-25 heat cycles, after which the compound becomes hard and slippery.

Reactions: phantasms