Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I am scheduled for that tweak on the 8th. However still waiting on the potential 3 bad rotors…….
Wow, 3 badly cracked rotors that they actually put on the car and ride height difference of 15mm+ at each corner. That's quality work, Tesla. Are you sure you want to drive that car between now and then? It sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'd have it towed in and demand an immediate fix. Even if it wasn't $20K, that's completely unacceptable.

Oh. Well those do look like cracks on the rotors. I have no experience with that to say what is acceptable but since they were labeled as cracked by Tesla, somebody seems to question them. Odd if they didn't actually discuss it with you. Hope you get some answers soon.

IMG_1491.png
IMG_1489.png
IMG_1488.png
Screenshot_20230723_101100_Gallery.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, 3 badly cracked rotors that they actually put on the car and ride height difference of 15mm+ at each corner. That's quality work, Tesla. Are you sure you want to drive that car between now and then? It sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'd have it towed in and demand an immediate fix. Even if it wasn't $20K, that's completely unacceptable.
Hello,
Im still trying to find out what the red Cracked stickers on the rotor boxes are all about, and the ride height issue is a bummer, but can easily be fixed. I had BMW do a Dinan suspension upgrade on my X6M, and also had to return to fix out of spec ride heights. Im not angry with Tesla service yet, however it would help if someone would pick up the phone at the SC when trying to call them for answers to my questions. Ive scheduled a new appointment, and will keep updating.
cheers

Hello,
Im still trying to find out what the red Cracked stickers on the rotor boxes are all about, and the ride height issue is a bummer, but can easily be fixed. I had BMW do a Dinan suspension upgrade on my X6M, and also had to return to fix out of spec ride heights. Im not angry with Tesla service yet, however it would help if someone would pick up the phone at the SC when trying to call them for answers to my questions. Ive scheduled a new appointment, and will keep updating.
cheers
I did find this document from Audi on CCB and "normal" cracks. Hope it helps a bit, but you probably need a second opinion or two.

Reactions: bkcyk
Hello,
cheers
OK good luck. It seems pretty dangerous. I don't think a "major crack" is a feature you want unless your name is Hunter. And yes ride height can easily be fixed, but can cause some serious problems in the mean time. Driving it like that for over 2 weeks sounds pretty risky to me.

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
Oh. Well those do look like cracks on the rotors. I have no experience with that to say what is acceptable but since they were labeled as cracked by Tesla, somebody seems to question them. Odd if they didn't actually discuss it with you. Hope you get some answers soon.

View attachment 958878View attachment 958879View attachment 958881View attachment 958882
I did find this document from Audi on CCB and "normal" cracks. Hope it helps a bit, but you probably need a second opinion or two.

Thanks Dan,
Clearly some cracking is normal. I will eventually get to talk to someone at Tesla and get to the bottom of the red “Major Cracks” stickers.
Can some else post some close up pictures of their rotors? Comparisons will help.
Cheers

That looks concerning (pic below). Would love to see pics of others who have the rotors installed to see what a normal one looks like.

I’m getting mine installed soon and planning to do a half mile run a few days after the install and there is no way I would even think to try that if my rotors looked like this.

My service center is 2 miles away so I’m planning to stop by to inspect everything before the install.

Thank you for posting about this and good luck, please keep us updated.

B4A52010-95AE-46F0-A739-0AA95BA59C89.jpeg

That looks concerning (pic below). Would love to see pics of others who have the rotors installed to see what a normal one looks like.

I’m getting mine installed soon and planning to do a half mile run a few days after the install and there is no way I would even think to try that if my rotors looked like this.

My service center is 2 miles away so I’m planning to stop by to inspect everything before the install.

Thank you for posting about this and good luck, please keep us updated.

View attachment 958884
Pretty sure most of these cracks are now what is to be expected. There are some types of cracks that are not good though . However I had three of my rotor boxes with red stickers on them stating ”Major! Shows Major Cracks!” One box had no red sticker, just a “good” marking. I will find out what these mean, and who put them on.

Attachments

• 20230721_150520.jpeg
    20230721_150520.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230721_150528.jpeg
    20230721_150528.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: bkcyk and OCS300
Wow, very similar. Some of my cracks look opened up a bit more, but seems these cracks are expected. Are these bedded in? I will be reaching out to the rotor manufacturer Surface Transformations in the UK, and see if they can provide any additional information.
That is what I would do along with photos. I believe this “cracking” is normal and part of the ceramic coating that is baked on to each rotor.

Reactions: 1100MCM
Wow, very similar. Some of my cracks look opened up a bit more, but seems these cracks are expected. Are these bedded in? I will be reaching out to the rotor manufacturer Surface Transformations in the UK, and see if they can provide any additional information.
Mine have had the factory bedding-in process completed. I've also had at least 5 hard braking events from mid triple digit speeds in Mexico. I did the 5 in fairly quick succession as the ox carts on the highway would allow. I slowed down to about local traffic speed of 70 mph and blasted back up when clear and braked again.

Reactions: 1100MCM
Mine have had the factory bedding-in process completed. I've also had at least 5 hard braking events from mid triple digit speeds in Mexico. I did the 5 in fairly quick succession as the ox carts on the highway would allow. I slowed down to about local traffic speed of 70 mph and blasted back up when clear and braked again.

Any idea (anyone) what TSC does, if anything, to bed in the brakes per ST instructions? I'm still unclear as to what TSC does and what the owner is expected to do upon pick up to ensure maximal life and performance out of the brakes. Danke.

I think I posted this somewhere but glad to repeat. According to my local TSC, they made 30 stops, 60-0, back to back to back. The guy I said this was the first time the tech was about ready to barf from driving a Plaid. About 20 stops in he had had enough but kept on. Basically, he was doing hard acceleration runs up to 60, brake to 0, rinse and repeat for 30 times.

According to the SC, nothing additional on my end should be done after they bedded them. My suspicion is there might be something new show up in the owner's manual at some point regarding them and any future maintenance.

Any idea (anyone) what TSC does, if anything, to bed in the brakes per ST instructions? I'm still unclear as to what TSC does and what the owner is expected to do upon pick up to ensure maximal life and performance out of the brakes. Danke.
The SC is supposed to go into service mode and follow the burnishing procedure as provided. I am not sure if telsa programmed the procedure based on ST guidelines but I would think they would have.

The SC is supposed to go into service mode and follow the burnishing procedure as provided. I am not sure if telsa origrammed they procedure based on ST guidelines but I would think they would have.
So is this "burnishing procedure" any different than bedding in the brakes per the ST instructions? I recall some owners saying TSC piled on a not so insignificant amount of miles on their MSPs as part of the install. The idea of a tech driving my MSP with their grubby hands almost makes me not want to upgrade. lol

So is burnishing any different than bedding in the brakes per the ST instructions? I recall some owners saying TSC piled on a not so insignificant amount of miles on their MSPs as part of the install. The idea of a tech driving my MSP with their grubby hands almost makes me not want to upgrade. lol
Burnishing and bedding are the same process. Two different words.

Chad in Utah said it took 30 stops to bed his in. He was lucky enough to be present for the entire install and burnishing.

They put 10 miles on my car.