Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Track Package Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. You can buy the brakes only, but it's now $20K. The +wheel/tire pkg is not in stock.

Perhaps it’s a temp store glitch.
Harsh, it does say Style = Ceramic brakes 20k, Style = Track package 20k. You can't order the car with the ceramic brakes already installed I guess. Nor can you get aftermarket ceramic brakes certified for the 200mph firmware upgrade. Has anyone managed to run 200mph on aftermarket ceramic brakes/tires after already getting the firmware upgrade, or is there a Bluetooth Tesla equipment check?

Well, that's the deal I guess.

They update the firmware when they do the brakes.

Ingenext did defeat the speed limiter awhile ago and I think they ran 216. It wasn't in conjunction with any brake upgrades, just unlocking the top speed.

I’m going in. Wish me luck with this TSC. 🤞🏼

IMG_2898.jpeg

I don't know if I got a deal or not now by not buying the tires. ;) Looks like they are trying to unload some wheels and tires. How many extra are they going to have to send to compensate for the crappy packaging if they are arriving damaged?

I finally got my square 20's installed with my track pack brakes. Not the best photo but it will give an idea of the options to the factory wheels. If I had to pay 20k for the brakes whether I got the tires or not, I'd likely go with the factory wheels. I do like these Signature wheels better.

IMG_2009.jpg

Here’s an update to my initial saga. I was one of the ones (maybe only one) that SC would not install brakes because I have MPP rear camber arms. They said get them installed elsewhere and we are willing to finish config after it’s installed to reflect you have track package brakes installed.

I did get them installed by the same shop that did my MPP rear camber arms. Didn’t have any issues with installation and they also aligned the car. They told me after installing, the pedal felt a little soft but they bled them a couple of times and everything seemed fine after bleeding. I wasn’t too worried over that initially since I know some here mentioned that initial longer pedal travel. I drove it home from the shop but did not use the brakes because I wanted to bed them per ST website procedure that someone was helpful enough to post here.

The next day I put the car in track mode, turned down the regen as much as possible, drove the car out of city limits, and let her rip. I went through all the stops as outlined in the ST procedure. The 75 MPH medium stops got me in the red brake temperature zone along with corresponding warnings on the dash. I wasn’t too worried since the car did not know at that moment I had the CCBs and I’m sure was basing the warning on the much lower temperature limits for the stock brakes. I continued until completing the bedding procedure and then drove around to cool down the brakes below 100 C per the procedure.

All felt fine other than the softer than stock pedal but regardless, the car was really biting at full brake power. I made the SC appointment and they took the car in, gave me a loaner, updated the config and now the car shows it has CCBs and the app shows correct red brakes. After picking it up and after config change I noticed the pedal feel changed back to a lot firmer and immediate and for some reason the steering wheel feel changed a little bit.

So far I’m happy with the brakes and am happy with the SC being reasonable when it came to the aftermarket parts and at least giving me an option. As a bonus my cold start vibration that I’ve had since new, between 37-42 MPH during the first drive after sitting for a couple of hours, mysteriously went away with the brake install so the car is vibration-free now (miracles do happen!).

A few days before I took my Plaid for this SC config change appointment, my M3P was making that old school bus braking noise mostly when cold. A mobile tech came to see it and told me when they build up dust, especially on the cars with Brembos or bigger brakes, they make that noise. He looked at them on my driveway and burnished them and the noise did go away on my M3P.

Similarly, before the SC Plaid appointment, I noticed about a week after I bedded the CCBs it started making this same noise as my M3P, the loud braking noise which supposedly is dust according to the mobile tech’s explanation. I didn’t really want to tell SC when I took in the Plaid since they probably would wash their hands of it since they didn’t install them. Is anyone else running into this issue? I’m new to CCBs but is noise a thing with these?

Reactions: bkcyk
Here’s an update to my initial saga. I was one of the ones (maybe only one) that SC would not install brakes because I have MPP rear camber arms. They said get them installed elsewhere and we are willing to finish config after it’s installed to reflect you have track package brakes installed.

I did get them installed by the same shop that did my MPP rear camber arms. Didn’t have any issues with installation and they also aligned the car. They told me after installing, the pedal felt a little soft but they bled them a couple of times and everything seemed fine after bleeding. I wasn’t too worried over that initially since I know some here mentioned that initial longer pedal travel. I drove it home from the shop but did not use the brakes because I wanted to bed them per ST website procedure that someone was helpful enough to post here.

The next day I put the car in track mode, turned down the regen as much as possible, drove the car out of city limits, and let her rip. I went through all the stops as outlined in the ST procedure. The 75 MPH medium stops got me in the red brake temperature zone along with corresponding warnings on the dash. I wasn’t too worried since the car did not know at that moment I had the CCBs and I’m sure was basing the warning on the much lower temperature limits for the stock brakes. I continued until completing the bedding procedure and then drove around to cool down the brakes below 100 C per the procedure.

All felt fine other than the softer than stock pedal but regardless, the car was really biting at full brake power. I made the SC appointment and they took the car in, gave me a loaner, updated the config and now the car shows it has CCBs and the app shows correct red brakes. After picking it up and after config change I noticed the pedal feel changed back to a lot firmer and immediate and for some reason the steering wheel feel changed a little bit.

So far I’m happy with the brakes and am happy with the SC being reasonable when it came to the aftermarket parts and at least giving me an option. As a bonus my cold start vibration that I’ve had since new, between 37-42 MPH during the first drive after sitting for a couple of hours, mysteriously went away with the brake install so the car is vibration-free now (miracles do happen!).

A few days before I took my Plaid for this SC config change appointment, my M3P was making that old school bus braking noise mostly when cold. A mobile tech came to see it and told me when they build up dust, especially on the cars with Brembos or bigger brakes, they make that noise. He looked at them on my driveway and burnished them and the noise did go away on my M3P.

Similarly, before the SC Plaid appointment, I noticed about a week after I bedded the CCBs it started making this same noise as my M3P, the loud braking noise which supposedly is dust according to the mobile tech’s explanation. I didn’t really want to tell SC when I took in the Plaid since they probably would wash their hands of it since they didn’t install them. Is anyone else running into this issue? I’m new to CCBs but is noise a thing with these?
I posted the same thing about the ~ 40 mph vibration after my CCB install. I am glad I am not the only one experiencing the positive change.

Reactions: 1100MCM
For those that had the track package installed on a 2021, was a specific part number listed for the knuckles? I don't see anything mentioned on the estimate, and just wanted to confirm they will have the part when I show up for the install.

Screenshot_20230908_162826_Samsung Notes.jpg

For those that had the track package installed on a 2021, was a specific part number listed for the knuckles? I don't see anything mentioned on the estimate, and just wanted to confirm they will have the part when I show up for the install.

View attachment 972172
Current knuckle part numbers are:

Front right - 1420316-00-J
Front left - 1420311-00-J
Rear right - 1420426-00-J
Rear left - 1420415-00-J

Dropped off 9/5, I just picked up my 1.5K miles young, June '23 build from Alhambra TSC. Communication with the service rep, Danny, was solid. They put on a few surface scratches on two of the wheels which they'll remediate or replace (bummer), but everything else visually checks out. They tell me I'm their 2nd install.

Initial observations (limited) pretty much mirror what other fastidious owners have already shared, thank you:
  • Initial bite is not there like the steelies, but just a little more pressure and the stopping power is tremendous even with little to no heat in them. There simply is no comparison to the factory steel brakes. It's like hitting a wall.
  • Looks wise, I already had the red factory brakes, but these are markedly more aggressive looking, especially the shiny drilled rotors. For those who know, they'll know it's a special set of big reds.
  • I'll probably not be able to discern whether the weight savings translates to better driving dynamics as the MSP is really a daily type vehicle for me
  • I'm debating whether I further bed in the brakes myself as the tech put 26 miles on the car as part of the install procedure
  • Ask for Ricardo (service mgr who had his lead tech assigned for my install)
Time will tell if the CCBs are trouble-free. This was a must-have upgrade for me. It's THE reason why I bought the MSP. I want a 200mph+ EV rocket. That I have.

Thanks y'all!

71590859797__A0EA61F4-592B-4475-BD0A-C4FBC0E3458F.jpeg

IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2940.jpeg

Initial bite is not there like the steelies, but just a little more pressure and the stopping power is tremendous even with little to no heat in them. There simply is no comparison to the factory steel brakes. It's like hitting a wall.

“stopping power” is tremendous?

Since the stock brakes have no problem getting wheels to lock up and engage ABS, (unless overheated after repeated braking beyond the brake warning light) and thus bring the car’s stopping power to the limit of the tires, I wonder how the carbon brakes can generate even MORE stopping power?

Perhaps those with the track tires can sense the tires are better, but you seem to be using the stock wheels and tires so if the stock brakes bring the car to the ABS limits, and the carbon brakes bring the car to the same ABS limit as well with the same tires, I wonder how you are sensing more “stopping power”.

The main effect of the track pack brakes should be:
1. during normal use the car brakes engage the ABS as it normally does: the ABS keeps the car at the limit of the tires/road
2. during repeated hard braking, past what would normally trigger the brake light, the brakes do NOT have brake fade like the stock brakes do.
3. Like all track brakes, they may be noisier, dustier, worse cold performance, and require more frequent fluid change.

But stopping power is just a function of the tires and the road carbon brakes aren’t going to generate more stopping power under regular driving conditions. But they should be more resistant to extreme brake heat.

The information here might help combat any epidemic of placebo effect

(the last one speculating that Tesla engineers, like C8 Corvette engineers, may have dialed in less rear braking force so as to avoid oversteer when braking hard).

“stopping power” is tremendous?

Since the stock brakes have no problem getting wheels to lock up and engage ABS, (unless overheated after repeated braking beyond the brake warning light) and thus bring the car’s stopping power to the limit of the tires, I wonder how the carbon brakes can generate even MORE stopping power?

Perhaps those with the track tires can sense the tires are better, but you seem to be using the stock wheels and tires so if the stock brakes bring the car to the ABS limits, and the carbon brakes bring the car to the same ABS limit as well with the same tires, I wonder how you are sensing more “stopping power”.

The main effect of the track pack brakes should be:
1. during normal use the car brakes engage the ABS as it normally does: the ABS keeps the car at the limit of the tires/road
2. during repeated hard braking, past what would normally trigger the brake light, the brakes do NOT have brake fade like the stock brakes do.
3. Like all track brakes, they may be noisier, dustier, worse cold performance, and require more frequent fluid change.

But stopping power is just a function of the tires and the road carbon brakes aren’t going to generate more stopping power under regular driving conditions. But they should be more resistant to extreme brake heat.

The information here might help combat any epidemic of placebo effect

(the last one speculating that Tesla engineers, like C8 Corvette engineers, may have dialed in less rear braking force so as to avoid oversteer when braking hard).
Do you have the track pack brakes?

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
So to be clear for 20gs you get Track mode, 200MPH, new suspension calibration and CCB installed correct? I have one other question I see videos that are over 1 year old with track mode (no CCB) where you can select drift mode and top speed is raised but not to the 200 MPH mark? (Need the CCB) Is there a software upgrade with out the brakes you can purchase?
Thanks

So to be clear for 20gs you get Track mode, 200MPH, new suspension calibration and CCB installed correct? I have one other question I see videos that are over 1 year old with track mode (no CCB) where you can select drift mode and top speed is raised but not to the 200 MPH mark? (Need the CCB) Is there a software upgrade with out the brakes you can purchase?
Thanks
Correct and no you can’t get telsa to unlock the 200mph without the CCB upgrade.

As of right now you get the wheels and tires included in that 20k too.