Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid - Walk Away Lock Inconsistent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 50% of the time when using my iPhone as a key my refresh Model S does not lock. It happens at work or when out running errands. It's almost as if the car thinks I'm still inside since the heat is running and it won't lock. I have to constantly check the app to see if it locked, then press lock remotely and turn off the HVAC. Even more annoying when getting back into the car the HVAC is off.

This works flawlessly on the MYP we have.

Reactions: McQ14
About 50% of the time when using my iPhone as a key my refresh Model S does not lock. It happens at work or when out running errands. It's almost as if the car thinks I'm still inside since the heat is running and it won't lock. I have to constantly check the app to see if it locked, then press lock remotely and turn off the HVAC. Even more annoying when getting back into the car the HVAC is off.

This works flawlessly on the MYP we have.
Yep. Happens to me, too. Probably less than 50% of the time for me, but it happens. I always use my app to make sure it's locked after I walk away now.

They pushed my appointment out to January 20th. One of the advisors via the service section of the app suggested that the phone was having trouble connecting. I have an iPhone 13 Pro on the latest iOS version. Seems weird because if it was having trouble connecting then why would it stay unlocked? I would have expected if my phone was disconnected that it should lock the car. I am assuming that's the logic behind walk-away lock at least. While it's in for service, I'm having them look at why the charge handle button doesn't open the door consistently. It almost always fails as well.

While it's in for service, I'm having them look at why the charge handle button doesn't open the door consistently. It almost always fails as well.

And there's the other issue I'm having: the charging handle button doesn't open my charging port door a lot of the time. Five, six, seven...ten presses, and then finally it might open. Usually, I just give up and press the charging port door so it pops open. But we shouldn't have to do that. I have a short list of things that don't work quite right that I'd like them to look at.

And there's the other issue I'm having: the charging handle button doesn't open my charging port door a lot of the time. Five, six, seven...ten presses, and then finally it might open. Usually, I just give up and press the charging port door so it pops open. But we shouldn't have to do that. I have a short list of things that don't work quite right that I'd like them to look at.
Check this out ... Can’t open charge port with wall charger

• Informative
I walk away slowly until I hear the horn beep
Like this? 🙃

laughing-funny.gif

Hi all,
not to hijack the the thread, i think my handles lock fine about 20 to 30 seconds after I'm away from the car. My issues when unocking. I would say it consistently will unlock with my phone as key and present the handles if i touch one, but otherwise, it takes maybe 30 seconds from when i'm standing by the car (looking like a thief, sentry mode yelling at me) until the car unlocks and the handles present.
Galaxy S10 + Phone.
any idea? I do have service coming today, but for an unrelated issue.
thanks!

I would have them check the seat sensor. There were several reports of people getting their drivers side seat sensor replaced due to the car turning back on once they exit the car and shut the door. Wonder if yours is faulty. They should be able to pull the logs and identify that - just write down the timestamps of when it locks properly and when it does not.

• Informative
Reactions: Xeux and IamGaryGnu
I would have them check the seat sensor. There were several reports of people getting their drivers side seat sensor replaced due to the car turning back on once they exit the car and shut the door. Wonder if yours is faulty. They should be able to pull the logs and identify that - just write down the timestamps of when it locks properly and when it does not.
thanks, i never would have imagined that!
although in retrospect, if the doors are closed and one one is inside, the streaming music turns off; if i'm sitting inside, it stays on, so I'm guessing the seat sensor is working properly.
I will however make a list - it didn't seem that intuitive to add to the current service request.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja
ranger was completely useless. car is going to have to go into the SC to take care of the 4 issues I have - 1) console light inverted action 2) passenger door touch to latch 3) handles not consistently presenting and 4) dashcam seems to be corrupting the USB sticks.
for the dashcam, i followed some of what i've seen on the forums, so it may work, or maybe not.
I will say, first experience with ranger - very please with how quickly they scheduled - i requested wednesday night (when i got the car) and they came today - that was in my mind very fast. However, the "kid" couldn't leave fast enough and didn't seem to care or want to resolve the issue - THAT p'd me off.

ranger was completely useless. car is going to have to go into the SC to take care of the 4 issues I have - 1) console light inverted action 2) passenger door touch to latch 3) handles not consistently presenting and 4) dashcam seems to be corrupting the USB sticks.
for the dashcam, i followed some of what i've seen on the forums, so it may work, or maybe not.
I will say, first experience with ranger - very please with how quickly they scheduled - i requested wednesday night (when i got the car) and they came today - that was in my mind very fast. However, the "kid" couldn't leave fast enough and didn't seem to care or want to resolve the issue - THAT p'd me off.
That's a shame. The young man who has come out to my place on a couple of occasions was really good and thorough. I hope you give them feedback on your experience. I hope you can get all four issues resolved at the SC.

This is dead on. They found that my sensors were malfunctioning.