Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current list state now:

1. @Bull
  2. @derichio02
  3. @gbailey
  4. @Laddcruzer
  5. @shadowmike
  6. @StiTChEs37
  7. @Spyderman09
  8. @jm404
  9. @alb
  10. @MFrunkerOG
  11. @deadwynter
  12. @GroovaEV
  13. @chrisdh79
  14. @Buddha2345
  15. @properly1
  16. @planetary
  17. @bhzmark
  18. @jebinc
  19. @Mgbjr16
  20. @Bkguy

Original orders #1-#10 shipped. Materials for new #1-10 will be ordered shortly. (@Bull and @jebinc i haven't forgotten about either of you)

(New users to list are noted in order they're received on here and in DM's, but not listed yet.)
Could I get added to the list too? Thank you!

Reactions: M4H4X
@derichio02
@gbailey
@shadowmike
@StiTChEs37
@Spyderman09
@jm404
@alb
@MFrunkerOG
@deadwynter
@GroovaEV

Just ordered supplies for your flaps.

@Bull yours will be coming a bit early as I have some spare supplies from the last batch.

Also -- I'm working on a quick tool that will allow users to submit their own flap orders and track the fufillment process. More on that soon.
Also -- the next batch of flaps will be produced by a mill and then thermoformed by hand. Should be quicker/more consistent.

I forgot to mention a few things:

The first batch of 10 sets were painstakingly produced by hand.

Steps to produce:
1) Rough Cut with Scroll saw
2) Precision cuts for straight lines with Scoring Blade
3) Curve cuts with scroll saw, results varied but were close enough. No 2 flaps were the same but since there is only one per wheel well the tolerances were close enough that you would never notice.
4) Drill holes precisely using the wooden jig/tool for each flap so they will all mount correctly.
4) Random orbital sander for all of the edges to remove scoring marks and give a smooth finish.
5) Thermoforming all clips with MAP Torch and hand tools.
6) Thermoforming all contours with heat gun.

This second batch of 10 sets is going to be produced in a mill that will eliminate most of the steps, and allow me to ramp up production speed.

New steps will be:
1) Mill flap
2) Thermoform clip using a new clip jig (no more hand tools
3) Thermoform curve with heat gun.

Thats it.

This should cut production time significantly and allow a ramp up.

A set of 4 flaps took roughly 3.5hrs to produce by hand for the first batch, this new method will take roughly 10 to 15 minutes.

If sucessful, ill start ordering materials to manufacture in bulk.

As a side note -- I still have no intention of making this a business, I'm just having fun. I've made a career out of solving problems and this is an interesting one to explore.

Just waiting on the supplies at this point to make the next batch.

More updates later.

Small update to the current active list, #4 dropped out and everyone below shifted up -- and one name added.

1. @Bull
2. @derichio02
3. @gbailey
4. @shadowmike
5. @StiTChEs37
6. @Spyderman09
7. @jm404
8. @alb
9. @MFrunkerOG
10. @deadwynter
11. @GroovaEV
12. @chrisdh79
13. @Buddha2345
14. @properly1
15. @planetary
16. @bhzmark
17. @jebinc
18. @Mgbjr16
19. @Bkguy
20. @dub1ous

All - these are just the next 20 on his list. It isn’t a complete list of requests (to be added to).

Plastic for next batch will be here mid next week. Hardware will arrive by end of week.

My mill has arrived, building it and running initial tests tomorrow.

Built a stand for it this evening.

Nothing special but boy it feels nice to have an excuse to work with wood again.
PXL_20220109_050120523.jpg

Edit: for reference I'm 6'2" and this table is mid chest high, 30x30x42.