Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Passenger Side Repeater Camera not flush

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite the fact that I love my new Model S Refresh LR I have been extremely unlucky. First issue was the HV Battery, replaced after 3-4 weeks and all good. Next was to fix the top of the center console and today was what I was hoping to be the last remaining item to fix. The passenger side repeater camera isn’t flush to the car, there is a gap. When the car was in last for the center console they said no big deal, we just need to order a new repeater camera and will use mobile maintenance for the install. Today was the day, the mobile technician showed up and got to work. 45 minutes later he tells me the new camera has the same issue and I need to bring the car in for this to be fixed. He basically said the camera doesn’t lay flush to the body of the car. Anyone else with this issue?

Not sure as you didn't post a picture, but on MY's and M3's they don't sit flush anymore either by design, The top of the unit sits away from the body slightly. I was told this was to assist with drainage and every MY I've seen is like that so the new S could be the same.

Mine aren’t flush either. I’ve always been concerned that they can snag on a cleaning cloth and get yanked out.
973AFE7E-B28C-4ED2-8229-100D968AFFF7.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E55F02C-C1C8-4442-8D8F-397635CD1ED6.jpeg
    0E55F02C-C1C8-4442-8D8F-397635CD1ED6.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 82
Mine has the same issue. The cameras are not secured correctly. After driving in windy conditions or going through a car wash (touchless!) they pop out slightly. My guess is that Tesla will just use double sided mounting tape to secure them so may just do it myself…so many little issues with the car I wish I would have waited to take delivery. I have creaks in the front dash pad, wind whistle driving on the freeway, and that subtle vibration felt between 30-50 MPH when accelerating. I had to shell out $4K for full PPF because the paint sucks and the wide tires launch debris and gave me 5 paints chips within the first couple weeks of ownership. Tesla Service is also a joke at least here in Ohio…most recently took the car in for the wind whistle and it took them 2 weeks to diagnose and “correct” the issue which isnt even corrected. I love the interior and technology upgrades but I truly miss my 2019 raven’s ride quality and overall quality…

I have the same problem, Nov 21 MS LR Refresh. Driver side is super tight and flush. Passenger side was loose, you could see the foam backing from the side. After a wash this weekend I noticed it was super loose, and upon closer inspection the plastic clips were broken off. I’m going to the service center for 2 other issues (windshield wipers hitting my hood and black smudge in rear white arm rest from lowering and lifting) and they said they’ll replace the camera during that same visit.
49668534-C2DA-4699-B131-E728B96907CE.jpeg

My Plaid was delivered with absolutely no issues other than the driver side repeater camera was a little bit un-flush. Service came out twice to replace and each time they broke the tab and clip when trying to replace it. Then they said I have to remove the PPF from around the area and then bring it in. Hah, PPF causing the issue. I ended up getting a used one on eBay and it went on perfectly. I truly believe that the design of the repeater camera is faulty and it should be redesigned in the future.

Here's how mine looks on my 2022 Refresh S. The sharp pointy part does stick out a bit and will get caught when wiping over it with cloth. However service told me that that's how it supposed to be. I checked other MS Refresh on the lot and they were the same. It bothers me a bit. However they function just fine. Anyone here think the covers they sell on Amazon would help or make it look worse?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220720-224038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220720-224038_Gallery.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 71
Here's how mine looks on my 2022 Refresh S. The sharp pointy part does stick out a bit and will get caught when wiping over it with cloth. However service told me that that's how it supposed to be. I checked other MS Refresh on the lot and they were the same. It bothers me a bit. However they function just fine. Anyone here think the covers they sell on Amazon would help or make it look worse?
That doesn’t look normal. Mine are flush on both sides. Of course I had the passenger side camera replaced already because of a broken clip and they didn’t cover it under warranty so it cost me $150. Luckily I checked before I left the SC because they didn’t even install it correctly and would have fallen out on the way home.

$150 for your broken clip? And they didn't fix it under warranty? You must have an older model. I rather leave mine as is then pay $150 out of pocket. As stated before, I looked at several 2022 MS refresh and they all looked the same. I may try another SC and get a second opinion though.

$150 for your broken clip? And they didn't fix it under warranty? You must have an older model. I rather leave mine as is then pay $150 out of pocket. As stated before, I looked at several 2022 MS refresh and they all looked the same. I may try another SC and get a second opinion though.
Nope I have a 22 plaid. $150 covers the entire camera and labor. The clip in the front broke and once that breaks you can’t fix it without replacing the whole thing unless I just rigged it with double sided tape or something and I didn’t want to do that.

These dang side cameras. Mine pop out all the time. And once again the drivers side clip has broken. The first camera was replaced under warranty. Anyone on this thread figured out anything better than double sided tape? I have it wrapped and not sure if tape would stick well.

I'm thinking about figuring a 3d printed bracket to fix this one. This one is a terrible design.