Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S sleeps even "Energy saving OFF" and "Always connect ON"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Issue is clear. My Model S still sleeps sometimes at park even i did disable "energy saving" and enable "always connect"

So why it is still sleeping sometimes? Shouldn't be awake 7/24 even it's not charging?
Normal behavior. Mine does this occasionally,especially if it isn’t used for a day or two. They can sleep even with always connected enabled and energy saving disabled. It isn’t as deep.

The car is always in energy saving mode at night. That can't be turned off. The more likely reason you couldn't connect to the car is that it was in a location where it didn't have AT&T cellular access. That or the server in CA went down.

Tesla has had problems with "resume from sleep" since sleep was first introduced in 2013.

One of the continuing problems (still present today) is with the media player app - it often forgets the currently playing media after resuming from sleep, which essentially kills anyone trying to use USB to listen to audiobooks - since you'll periodically lose the current position in a USB file - and even the currently playing USB file or media selection.

For a long time, it was possibly to completely disable sleep mode - and keep the processor running all of the time, and that eliminated the sleep mode-related issues, but caused the car to use more power. We would only enable sleep mode when parking our car for extended periods (airport), to reduce battery drain when not plugged in; and the rest of the time, sleep mode would be disabled.

In one of the major releases (7.0?), Tesla decided to change the sleep mode settings - and now the two settings are "ON" (sleep mode enabled all of the time) or "OFF" (sleep mode enabled ONLY overnight). This means all cars are now forced into sleep mode overnight, and there doesn't appear to be any way to disable that. And because of that, there isn't any workaround to the media player problems caused when the software resumes from sleep.

Sleep mode is a tricky problem to solve - since all software must save current state prior to entering sleep mode and then restore the saved state upon resuming from sleep mode. Since this wasn't present in the original version of the software, it appears Tesla added this later - and because of that, they still haven't found all of the places that need to be properly managing the sleep/resume data storage.

I'd prefer they have 3 sleep mode settings - ALWAYS ON, OVERNIGHT ONLY, and ALWAYS OFF - and let the customers decide if/when they want sleep mode running.