Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S steering wheel locked - here is the invoice to correct it $1000 — is that right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
13BD909E-BBD1-4A08-9585-514919977A3A.jpeg
98BD7F73-EC1C-4015-BACA-8FA7632935A9.jpeg

Attachments

• 86737D05-9208-4608-9438-480A65310AD6.jpeg
    86737D05-9208-4608-9438-480A65310AD6.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 26D7D207-9FF8-4022-BF0F-684CCEC08B0E.png
    26D7D207-9FF8-4022-BF0F-684CCEC08B0E.png
    708.5 KB · Views: 100
Interesting. I was in Walmart parking lot and when I started backing up I turned the wheel but it locked up randomly. I could only turn the steering wheel 45 degrees in either direction. I rebooted the car and it started working again. This has happed twice to me.
Thank yoy! We rebooted the car but did not reset. They said they need to rewire electrical hence the charge :( Did you get the error messages on the screen like the one I have posted?

Upvote 0
I see you're near the bay area......I'd strongly suggest you seek out an independent Tesla repair shop.

Tesla, like most OEMs, only replaces assemblies, and does not repair individual parts. So, it is possible your issue is just a loose connection or bad ground.....but they only replace the whole dang thing.

An independent shop may be able to better diagnose what's going on and fix it for a couple hundred bucks. Just something to think about.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I need to find good Tesla repair shop. Because we towed it to Tesla shop because we did not know the issue. They fixed it apparently for $1085. Abd I have had drive unit issue on the car and first they said they won’t replace it now although last year they said the noise was because of drive unit and they will replace it once the parts become avail. Today I got a call that they will replace the drive unit but after I pay the $1085 — isn’t it strange? Shouldn’t I confirm the repair and it works as expected before paying?
Thank you for taking the time.

I might have a bad representative. But very frustrated with the Tesla service.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately if you're out of warranty, you'd be responsible for anything that breaks. They should/need to give you an estimate prior to beginning service, you would then approve the estimate for them to start work. They can't just begin service and give you the bill afterwards.
Did you approve the estimate for them to fix the steering issue? If so, you'd be responsible for paying the bill. If not, you have a good case that the work was done without your approval and you shouldn't be responsible for paying.

Upvote 0
Thank yoy! We rebooted the car but did not reset. They said they need to rewire electrical hence the charge :( Did you get the error messages on the screen like the one I have posted?

I get that error message all the time when the ultrasonic sensors are just covered in snow, which is quite common in winter where I live. if I just brush the snow off they come back on. If a wiring harness is somehow unable to provide connection to one or more of these it makes sense the same error would display.

I have never had a locked steering wheel though, and it is the first time I have read of this happening in the 4 years I have been on this forum. That is weird, because I can drive just fine when I get that error message.

As far as the repair goes, yes $140 part and 3 hours labour equates to a $1000 repair at any dealership these days. As someone else said you might have saved some money if you went to a 3rd party mechanic, and if you are really handy and don't want to pay any labour, you troubleshoot the problem, buy the part and fix it yourself. If it makes you feel better I found one on ebay for more than what Tesla charges! Genuine Front Bumper Wiring Harness 1004420-04-T for 2016-2018 Tesla Model S | eBay

And of course the roadside assistance is contracted out and Tesla has nothing to do with this, so don't take it out on Tesla service.

Pay the money and get a warrantied drive unit and be ahead of many who have had to replace that off warranty for $6000-8000 and be happy. ;)

Reactions: Indunavar
Upvote 0