Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs IKEA KIVIK Sofa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife wanted this huge KIVIK sofa from IKEA, and naturally she didn't want to pay for delivery. We grabbed a tape measure, crunched the numbers, and decided we could fit it in our Model S. Probably. On the appointed day, we bought it, took it down to the loading area, ripped open the boxes, and got to work playing sofa Tetris. Korobeiniki was playing in my head the whole time. It worked! We were so impressed with the result that we made a quick video of the unpacking process:

What a great car.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler and bmah
Did you accidentally activate summon?

My previous daily driver car was a coupe and I remember making a trip out to IKEA in the bay area before we had one close to where I live. So naturally you want to get as many items as possible since you're not out there frequently. Big mistake. I was able to fit everything in the car including a passenger but it just looked ridiculous inside the car. Good thing I only had to travel that way for half the trip as I unloaded some of the items visiting someone else on the way back.

Looking back, I'm sure all those items would fit easily in the Model S. It was such a hassle to drop the backseats in the coupe and the first time I did it in the S I was surprised how easy it was.

My wife wanted this huge KIVIK sofa from IKEA, and naturally she didn't want to pay for delivery. We grabbed a tape measure, crunched the numbers, and decided we could fit it in our Model S. Probably. On the appointed day, we bought it, took it down to the loading area, ripped open the boxes, and got to work playing sofa Tetris. Korobeiniki was playing in my head the whole time. It worked! We were so impressed with the result that we made a quick video of the unpacking process:

What a great car.
Very impressive packing skills! Here's my version of
IKEA Tetris in a model S:
Trip to Home Depot

Excellent! Now with the kid in the car too? :)

I think we could find a spot for her, but it would be pretty illegal!

Did you accidentally activate summon?

I didn't, the lights just came on when I activated the frunk. The camera makes it look like they're blinking, but they actually weren't.

However I have to say that I'm not impressed with the KIVIK sofa. The "memory foam" cushion tends to develop a permanent memory after a couple of years and doesn't provide as much support as when it was new.

That's unfortunate. I guess we'll see how ours goes. It's actually more stiff than I'd like, but the wife overruled me (and she uses it a lot more anyway).

From the instant I saw the thread title, there was never a doubt in my mind. But what would be amusing is a second video showing sofa assembly.

Too embarrassing for me, too boring for the viewer! And what's the deal with their fasteners? Sometimes they use a nut and bolt, sometimes there's a threaded hole on the furniture. Sometimes the bolt has a hex head, sometimes it has a hex socket. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, and uses which are essentially identical will have totally different fasteners. Do they just roll dice over there in Sweden to decide what they'll use?