Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S wheel studs replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wratran

Model S and X
Feb 17, 2019
Dallas
I have a couple of wheel studs that are strip at the front half.

I can still torque it to spec but only w 5 revolutions.

Is this enough to secure the wheels?
If I need to replace it...is the MS similar To ice car?

I replaced wheels studs on my Silverado before using a ball joint press.

F47B8F38-A991-4264-919A-CC0FF26826EC.jpeg
Yes, very similar to ICE. Pressed into hub. Not sure if there’s enough room to get them out with the hub assembly on the car. Might work...

Attached a photo from a used hub on eBay. The ad said it fit 2012-2016.

I've done some more research on this, with a lot of the info coming from the Model 3 members.
This is info regarding both stock replacement and longer studs for spacers:

Tesla studs have a knurl diameter of 15.7mm. However, ARP studs have a knurl diameter of 15.8mm.
Firehuntah made contact with ARP and they advised the stud holes should be reamed to prevent possible damage with their 15.8mm dimension.
The stock wheel studs appear to have an under head length of 44.5mm to 46mm with no additional tip.
- this may vary between US and Euro markets, with some US M3 owners even stating their fronts and rears were different.

Dorman makes studs with a 15.7mm knurl diameter.
Dorman 610-428 are zinc coated with an under head length of 58mm that includes an extended smooth tip.
- Per XNTRX, these should work as a stock replacement, though the length from head to thread end of the 428 looks roughly 50mm.
Dorman 610-490 are non-coated with an under head length of 69.75mm with a short tip.
The 490 is preferred when adding spacers. Reason being, the additional thread length will allow most users to cut them down to the desired length.

The Lisle 22800 tool may assist with stud removal/install with hub still on the car, as it has a bearing to eliminate friction from the lug nut...
- I've seen this tool work on Model 3 cars (there's a small hole behind the hub that allows the studs to pass), but haven't seen this on the Model S.
Best advice is plan to remove the hub entirely and use a press for stud removal and install.
Thread a M14x1.50 re-threading hex die onto the newly installed stud before cutting the studs to length.

Last edited:
Just did longest stud 2.5inchs swap off camaro 10-17 to fit 1inch apacers front.
View attachment 893398
Just out of curiosity, how much longer were they? I got some new wheels for my Model S and need 10mm spacers, so hoping I can get a slightly longer stud to replace the factory one. Will these be too long for that do you think? I found some wheel studs that are about 5mm longer, but wasn't sure if that would be enough with a 10mm spacer.

Just out of curiosity, how much longer were they? I got some new wheels for my Model S and need 10mm spacers, so hoping I can get a slightly longer stud to replace the factory one. Will these be too long for that do you think? I found some wheel studs that are about 5mm longer, but wasn't sure if that would be enough with a 10mm spacer.
You need run these Dorman 610-490 M14-1.5 Serrated Wheel Stud - 15.7mm Knurl, 69.75mm Length Compatible with Select Ford Models, 10 Pack https://a.co/d/d9pfVY6

Attachments

• inbound9102211514610667475.jpg
    inbound9102211514610667475.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 52
Just had to replace a few. In case anyone else needs it.

Dorman 610-428 available in a 10 pack for 10-15 dollars (or 2-3 individually).

View attachment 879829
Length [mm]64
External thread [mm]M14 x 1.5
Screw thread length [mm]27
Quality grade10.9
Shank length [mm]14
MaterialSteel
SurfaceZinc lamellar
Screw length under head [mm]58
Knurled head diameter [mm]15.7
Bolt head Ø [mm]21
Those numbers are incorrect, I got these studs and they will not fit properly. My car is a -21 plaid and the knurled head diameter is to wide. It is more than 15.8mm but no where close to the 15.7mm speced above. The wider part just before the knurls will not fit through the hub, the shop didn't dare to try and press these through so I ended up ordering the mountain pass studs even though they are a bit to long.