Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X dashboard User Interface safety issue

Do you agree with this as an easy safety improvement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all know there have been multiple S and X crashes where the driver thought they
were in auto steer mode but were likely not. That may unfortunately be true in many cases.
It turns out that when cruising at speed the preferred driving position puts the steering wheel
adjustment down low so you have a relaxing hold on it with your hands supported by your
upper legs. BTW that has been the safest driving hand position ever since airbags were introduced.
Well, in that steering wheel position and many others the two circular safety icons on the dash
placed at the very top of the dash display - the worst location as they are blocked by the upper
steering wheel.
How this occurred is a mystery as there is ample room to place them at the
bottom of the dash display - where they can be seen from every imaginable
combination of seat and steering wheel positions.
This is an easy fix - with the likelihood of someday saving some lives.
Any thoughts?

We all know there have been multiple S and X crashes where the driver thought they
were in auto steer mode but were likely not
Really? Never heard of one.
That may unfortunately be true in many cases
No, it's not
the two circular safety icons on the dash
placed at the very top of the dash display - the worst location as they are blocked by the upper
steering wheel.
Then, adjust your steering wheel or the seat properly. Problem solved, thank me later for all saved lives.

Really? Never heard of one.

No, it's not

Then, adjust your steering wheel or the seat properly. Problem solved, thank me later for all saved lives.
You did not fully comprehend the post. " in that steering wheel position and many others ....are blocked"
The point is it is smarter for Tesla to alter the dash display than it is for thousands of customers to sit uncomfortably
because of a Tesla oversight.

You did not fully comprehend the post. " in that steering wheel position and many others ....are blocked"
The point is it is smarter for Tesla to alter the dash display than it is for thousands of customers to sit uncomfortably
because of a Tesla oversight.
yeah, thousands of customers, I see complains flooding this thread.

ADJUST THE STEERING WHEEL TO YOUR LIKING

So they move the icons to a different location... then others who are taller/shorter or upright/gangster-lean seat position drivers or, or, or... complain that the icons are now blocked for them.
Bottom line, take some responsibility. If you are going to use AP and have a tendency to forget what mode you’re in, make darn sure you can see the icons from your preferred driving position.
Now if you had suggested they add HUD, that’ll solve the problem.

Reactions: Yoona
I have no issues with the current setup, my steering wheel is adjusted to a comfortable position and I can see those icons just fine. The icons, along with the blue lane tracking lines on the center area, makes it very clear that auto steer is engaged.

Would rather want Tesla to focus their efforts on other areas.

These responses are so misguided. Like Tesla can do no wrong and it is the customers who should adapt.
To the contrary. There are plenty of items/areas where I think Tesla should improve upon. Subjective items like where icons are positioned in the dash cluster are not one of them. Too many variables to cover per my response.
My current seating and wheel position provides ample/clear view to the entire cluster and I do drive with my hands positioned as you mentioned on longer stretches of freeway. The wheel bottom would have to literally be touching my leg for the top to obscure the AP icons.
YMMV... but that again is exactly my point.

These responses are so misguided. Like Tesla can do no wrong and it is the customers who should adapt.

I am constantly amazed at all the thought that goes into every aspect of Tesla. And more than that, if they find they've put out a mistake, it can usually be fixed over the air.

That said, many of us don't agree that all icons should be moved to the bottom of the dash display. They belong where they are. Customers always have to adjust (adapt?) the car to their individual needs and abilities. It is expected that drivers should move the seats, the steering, etc. etc. so they can drive safely. This is true with every car. If you can't see what you need, yes, you need to adapt. Let's be realistic.

Reactions: bmah
As a new driver to Tesla I do not find the autosteer notifications intuitive at all. I think when autosteer disengages is one of the most important notifications in the car and I find I miss the notification half the time.

There was a recent comparison of the autopilot system VS Cadillac Supercruise system and it was one area where Tesla was behind.