Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Yoke Horn Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Can’t believe we’re waiting on an update to enable something that should be standard. But at least it is confirmed. Sort of…

The “November” language could mean starting November 1st or Starting November 30th.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) Tweeted:
@GerberKawasaki @ICannot_Enough @Model3Owners All cars made since November also have push center for horn – just waiting on firmware update. If you mash right side of yoke with your palm, horn will trigger.

Anyone with a December/January 2022 build try to push their yoke airbag and does it depress at all?

I tried pressing on the yoke airbag on my November 2021 build (took delivery Dec 8 so likely made mid Nov), solid as a rock. Don't think it depresses like a normal horn, unless there is some software controlling a switch forcing the thing to not depress currently.

Reactions: jebinc
Anyone with a December/January 2022 build try to push their yoke airbag and does it depress at all?

I tried pressing on the yoke airbag on my November 2021 build (took delivery Dec 8 so likely made mid Nov), solid as a rock. Don't think it depresses like a normal horn, unless there is some software controlling a switch forcing the thing to not depress currently.
They all have that solid feel.

I pressed the right side of mine this morning and it honked! Build date 2/3.

Video or it didn’t happen. The airbag horn is not enabled for anyone.
The way I read Elon's tweet was that right side works now, but center-push requires software. Maybe I accidentally hit the button when I hit the right side -- I'll try it again after work:

"All cars made since November also have push center for horn – just waiting on firmware update. If you mash right side of yoke with your palm, horn will trigger."

The way I read Elon's tweet was that right side works now, but center-push requires software. Maybe I accidentally hit the button when I hit the right side -- I'll try it again after work:

"All cars made since November also have push center for horn – just waiting on firmware update. If you mash right side of yoke with your palm, horn will trigger."
That’s not what his tweet means. If you cover the right-hand section of the yoke with all the buttons (not the airbag) with your palm, it is supposed to activate the horn.

This feature was outlined in the user manual from day 1.

So it seems dubious that you are able to activate the horn with any section of your airbag currently.

Mashing all the icons on the right side of the airbag will trigger the horn and all refreshed model S has that. everyone is waiting for the middle airbag to turn into a horn, like every other production car out there

Reactions: nilesborg
Mashing all the icons on the right side of the airbag will trigger the horn and all refreshed model S has that. everyone is waiting for the middle airbag to turn into a horn, like every other production car out there
They actually disabled that functionality.

I can report that my earlier report of a functioning airbag horn were incorrect. I must have accidentally hit the button. Covering up all the icons also does not trigger the horn.

They actually disabled that functionality.

I can report that my earlier report of a functioning airbag horn were incorrect. I must have accidentally hit the button. Covering up all the icons also does not trigger the horn.
Didn't Elon tweet yesterday that mashing, not covering, the icons honks the horn. I always thought of course it does because when you mash that side you invariable hit the button too

Didn't Elon tweet yesterday that mashing, not covering, the icons honks the horn. I always thought of course it does because when you mash that side you invariable hit the button too
That’s pretty much correct.

Covering all the buttons does nothing. If you mash the entire side of the yoke, you inevitably hit the horn button.

I’ve never seen the “cover” option work as described.

It’s absurd that 1) the roaming haptic horn ‘button’ exists, 2) the ridiculous ‘workaround’ that Tesla introduced was to cover the entire spoke zone with one’s hand (try doing that in a turn, when it’s critical, e.g.: when someone is about to back into you in a parking lot), 3) That the hardware to restore horn actuation to its only appropriate place in an automobile has existed for months but is still waiting on a software update to enable.

The entire stalkless / haptic bullshit is an outrageous example of smart people designing stupid systems. But now we’ll (soon) get back one of the many functionalities we lost to haptics that no one wanted…cool.