Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2020 First Supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first post and it’s a question. I just attempted my first supercharge. No problems hooking up, etc. At first I’m amazed. I have 100 miles remaining, am charging to 80% and the car app says 30 minutes to go. Impressive and I’m happy. Next the charge starts to fluctuate; anywhere from 0 kW to 125 kW. Time goes between 30 minutes and several hours. So, I decide to leave it plugged in for 30 minutes to see what I actually get. Results - 42 miles. Is this normal? Is it due to first charge? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks. BTW the X is a long range not a performance.

Results - 42 miles. Is this normal? Is it due to first charge? Any insight is appreciated.
Congrats on the new car. No, 42 miles in 30 min would not be normal and there’s no hit because it is the first time supercharging. Fluctuations from 0 to 125 kW are not normal. Some superchargers can sometimes have issues, at which point I just try a different stall. But the issues I see are usually a very low kW from the start, not fluctuations of that magnitude. I would definitely suggest that you do another supercharging session. If you see this behavior again, and at multiple SC stalls, then I would schedule a service appointment to have your car checked.

Reactions: byeLT4
Congrats on the new car. No, 42 miles in 30 min would not be normal and there’s no hit because it is the first time supercharging. Fluctuations from 0 to 125 kW are not normal. Some superchargers can sometimes have issues, at which point I just try a different stall. But the issues I see are usually a very low kW from the start, not fluctuations of that magnitude. I would definitely suggest that you do another supercharging session. If you see this behavior again, and at multiple SC stalls, then I would schedule a service appointment to have your car checked.

Certainly good advice. Many thanks.

Normally you would start off with around what the SC is capable of giving, depending on your state of charge. As your state of charge increases the rate of charge decreases. Definitely try another charger and/or station. The station with 18 stalls in Austin are urban chargers and max out at 72kW, the 8 stall station south of that one is a 150kW. The 150 will be shared if there are multiple cars there and you connect to a charger set that is being used by another. They are marked with something like 1A with 2A, 1B with 2B etc., so if you go to that one or one like it, try and plug in to an empty set, for the other cars charging sake and yours LOL! Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Normally you would start off with around what the SC is capable of giving, depending on your state of charge. As your state of charge increases the rate of charge decreases. Definitely try another charger and/or station. The station with 18 stalls in Austin are urban chargers and max out at 72kW, the 8 stall station south of that one is a 150kW. The 150 will be shared if there are multiple cars there and you connect to a charger set that is being used by another. They are marked with something like 1A with 2A, 1B with 2B etc., so if you go to that one or one like it, try and plug in to an empty set, for the other cars charging sake and yours LOL! Good luck!

thank you! I did use the 150 kW and I was the only one there. I did use a B vice A at the first slot. I have a home charger and get 33 mile per hour each and every time so I am guessing that it’s not the car. Again - thank you.

Reactions: P85_DA and byeLT4