Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 22inch vs 20inch range impact ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am loving the look of the new 22inch dark wheels. However I am concerned about the range impact they might have. I am currently driving a Models S with 19inch wheels and I read that going to 20inch wheels does have a range impact. So going to 22inch might have an even worse impact. Are there numbers out there ?

I am loving the look of the new 22inch dark wheels. However I am concerned about the range impact they might have. I am currently driving a Models S with 19inch wheels and I read that going to 20inch wheels does have a range impact. So going to 22inch might have an even worse impact. Are there numbers out there ?
The energy impact of the larger wheels is very significant, at least 30% more energy consumed. I had a set on my X for about six months (back in 2018, you could get a set for free if you made enough customer referrals).

It is not really the wheels though, it is because the low profile Pirelli tires that come them, are high performance tires and are very “sticky.” The 20 inch wheels come with low rolling resistance tires, designed to be energy efficient. Now it might be possible to find a 22 inch tire that is more energy efficient, but generally when you are looking for very short profile tires, you are well in to performance tires.

I took a few pix of my X with 22s on board, sure did look cool! But I took them off and sold them. I wanted to get my mileage back.