Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 60D Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a very subjective question. It varies person to person (road trip? Towing? Work commute?)

The 60 is perfect for our needs but your needs are not going to be same as mine. I have not gotten below 40% yet.

I've had my X60D about a month now and here are my personal observations.
1)Autopilot does a fantastic job at delivering better than expected range up to 70 MPH. I can get 5% to 10% over rated range at 70 MPH using autopilot.
2)Driving like a maniac will drop the range from 202 to about 130 miles. By this I mean flooring it at all green lights, but staying under 70 MPH.
3)Using the regen braking really helps with city driving range as compared to low regen setting.
4)Driving at 100 MPH drops range to 55 miles.

holy smokes: how did you get up to 100 mph? i havent tried that on any car. cant imagine where i could do that.

also to all fellow mx60 owners, do you guys like the acceleration? how many of you are charging 100%?

holy smokes: how did you get up to 100 mph? i havent tried that on any car. cant imagine where i could do that.

also to all fellow mx60 owners, do you guys like the acceleration? how many of you are charging 100%?
The acceleration is insane! Not as crazy as a P100D but still very fast. We did take it 101MPH on our way back from Fremont to LA. As a result, range was not so great. You will love yours!

It's really not that difficult to take it up to 100mph actually. Of course that's just momentary and not for a long period of time to avoid troubles.

The acceleration is pretty good. The instant torque is real unlike my V8 BMW M3 where it needs to shift down, revs up (very loudly and car is not moving at that moment), then accelerate. By then my 60D is already miles ahead (not really but you get the idea).

After 2000 miles I've only ran into 1 situation where I was made it back home with 10miles left and was forced to stay under 60mph on a 25mile trip back home.

But poor planning on my part which I could have avoided if I had charged to 100% vs 90%.

Besides that never had any range anxiety with my 60.

Reactions: Ramisanders
I tried to skip the Las Vegas, Nevada supercharger from the St. George, Utah supercharger. I almost made it...
WP_20161002_18_44_22_Rich.jpg

I stopped at a Shell gas station just outside of Las Vegas and they let me plug in for about an hour before someone came out and said that the manager was worried about electrical problems. I drove on the shoulder at 25MPH and crept into the Primm, Nevada supercharger with 0 miles left.

Other than that we have had no issues with the range. I charge it to 98% as we live on a hill and I want to make sure I have regenerative braking. Our home system charges at 28 miles per hour, so we always plug in at home. The vehicle is great for daily driving locally.

I am planning on purchasing the 75D upgrade after I have recovered financially from the sacrifices we made to even be able to own one of these amazing vehicles.

Brent

Reactions: jbumps and vandacca
I tried to skip the Las Vegas, Nevada supercharger from the St. George, Utah supercharger. I almost made it...
View attachment 200342

I stopped at a Shell gas station just outside of Las Vegas and they let me plug in for about an hour before someone came out and said that the manager was worried about electrical problems. I drove on the shoulder at 25MPH and crept into the Primm, Nevada supercharger with 0 miles left.

Other than that we have had no issues with the range. I charge it to 98% as we live on a hill and I want to make sure I have regenerative braking. Our home system charges at 28 miles per hour, so we always plug in at home. The vehicle is great for daily driving locally.

I am planning on purchasing the 75D upgrade after I have recovered financially from the sacrifices we made to even be able to own one of these amazing vehicles.

Brent
It shows St. George to Primm to only be 160 miles. Why do you think you had trouble making that trip without stopping? I am planning a trip with a 173 mile stretch and now you have me worried.

I think we ran into a very strong headwind. I also travelled around 70 MPH - I should have kept it at 65 MPH tops. I actually made it from Primm, Nevada to St. George, Utah on the trip there, so I thought I would be able to do it again on the way home - I was very, very wrong.

Winds, speed, up hill travelling and fast starts will all play a role in decreasing your range.

Brent

Reactions: randy1077
we're taking the kid to disneyland from norcal next month and I'm not at all worried about range except for the final stretch. I'm hoping santa nella opens by then so I can just charge at santa nella and buttonwillow. final stretch is buttonwillow to anaheim (150 miles), really would like to skip burbank given all the negative feedback about that charger, but then again, there is grapevine in between. maybe i'll have to stop by newly opened buena park but would like to avoid that and just go straight to the hotel (which has destination charging!).

View attachment 200342

Brent
That is really amazing! It reminds me of that seinfeld episode where kramer tries to run down the test drive car engine to 0 fuel right before he gets back. I think i would have a mini panic attack several times before getting to super charger. I also wondering how accurate the battery range monitor is. If zero is zero, you wouldn't have power.

Great thread, I get my X60D at the end of Nov, plan on taking it on some ski trips north from Boston this winter, so we'll see how much the cold effects range, but the two super chargers I care about are 75 miles apart, so not too worried...

Also planning a spring drive from Boston to South Carolina, but taking 2-3 days to get down there and site see along the way.

Hoping I don't have to upgrade to 75 battery too

We're routinely charging to 100% and see 201-202 miles at completion. Range has been more than sufficient for our needs, averaging a now slightly increased (probably from the colder weather) 324 wh/mi over nearly 3,000 miles in the just under a month we've had it.

I have mixed views about our 60D. We recently took a road trip to the mountains, where superchargers are few and far between, which greatly limited our choices of destinations. The extra 40 mile range of the 75D would have opened up many new destinations. On the other hand, for daily commuting and road trips along urban routes,the 60D has been perfect for us.

If I could do it over again, I would pick the 75D and eliminate the high fidelity sound, sub zero package, red paint, and white seats. What good are those amenities if you have to rent a minivan just to make a trip to the mountains?

I have mixed views about our 60D. We recently took a road trip to the mountains, where superchargers are few and far between, which greatly limited our choices of destinations. The extra 40 mile range of the 75D would have opened up many new destinations. On the other hand, for daily commuting and road trips along urban routes,the 60D has been perfect for us.

If I could do it over again, I would pick the 75D and eliminate the high fidelity sound, sub zero package, red paint, and white seats. What good are those amenities if you have to rent a minivan just to make a trip to the mountains?

Luckily for me the superchargers are on the highway to the mountains where we'll ski...

In your situation why not unlock the 75D, it's only software limited...