Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and Kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the weekend I picked up a Model 3. My father joined me in the delivery to look more closely at a Model X. He currently has a Chevy Tahoe. The problem he and my mom are trying to solve is comfortably seating and accessing 4 grand kids (new born through aged 6). He is looking at a new Tahoe with captains seats, a Honda Odyssey and the X. Taking price out of the equation can anyone shed some light for him on the following:

1. 3 or 4 young children in the X. How does access with the 6 seat model compare to a van?
2. How do you entertain children? The Tahoe has a DVD system which the driver or passenger can control. In a X how do you retain the control?
3. How is the battery life in winter?

I am not going down the safety path because overall I believe the X to be a very safe vehicle (probably the safest), the difficulty in choice really revolves around getting the car seats in, getting access to the kids and their entertainment.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Over the weekend I picked up a Model 3. My father joined me in the delivery to look more closely at a Model X. He currently has a Chevy Tahoe. The problem he and my mom are trying to solve is comfortably seating and accessing 4 grand kids (new born through aged 6). He is looking at a new Tahoe with captains seats, a Honda Odyssey and the X. Taking price out of the equation can anyone shed some light for him on the following:

1. 3 or 4 young children in the X. How does access with the 6 seat model compare to a van?
2. How do you entertain children? The Tahoe has a DVD system which the driver or passenger can control. In a X how do you retain the control?

I am not going down the safety path because overall I believe the X to be a very safe vehicle (probably the safest), the difficulty in choice really revolves around getting the car seats in, getting access to the kids and their entertainment.

Well we have the X and far has entertament goes, the iPad is a much cheaper solution, kids like them better, and they can each download what they each want to see. My grandkids come equipped with own devices. We have had DVDs in other cars, never used them. We have the 7 passenger and the young ones love to be tucked back there in row 3 with ear buds and devices.

We have a 6-seater X100D with twin girls (under 2), and one more soon on the way. We love the Model X for our kids, and that's with all of them in child seats (and rear-facing ones at the moment). Accessing the back row is pretty simple with the falcon wing doors and the seats moved forward, more so IMO than hunched over in a minivan. I've been experimenting with the seating while I still have time before #3 arrives. No doubt there's more overall space in a minivan (which we did look at prior to the X), but the extra storage in the frunk and trunk are more than enough space for us when traveling. I'm sure once the girls are old enough, it will either be iPads or other devices as well.

At the end of the day, none of the minivans are remotely close to the experience of a Model X. And like Darmie mentioned, all kids love the falcon wing doors. :)

• Love
I disabled passenger control of the FWD before my Model X left the delivery center.

I wonder why not 7 seats? Not as sexy as 6 but cheaper and gives more mission flexibility with both rows folding down.

I got rid of our Odyssey as part of the reasoning to get the X.

Odyssey is roomier for 7, has useable roof with racks. You don’t stand out in an Odyssey (that’s a pro to me).

The X wins everywhere else IMO.

• Love
Doubtful you will be driving fast with 4 kids, but the thought of seeing one of these in the garage every day o_O

Attachments

• 01ADABA0-39B8-4837-8DF8-F28B8C641324.jpeg
    01ADABA0-39B8-4837-8DF8-F28B8C641324.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 151
  • Funny
Reactions: l4sythe and P85_DA
We have a 7yo, 3yo, and 10mo and they fit great in our 6 seater without middle row console. It’s very easy to load the kids (compared to a minivan where you can hurt your back trying to help buckle younger kids in the 3rd row). Mom sits in the middle row too so she can tend to the kids. Diaper bag and box for snacks fit great in the open space between the middle row seats. iPads for entertainment. Nano sized folding strollers (GB Pockit) fit perfectly in the trunk, frunk, or even inside the cabin.

• Informative
Falcon Wing Doors work great with kids, a lot more room to get them in/out in tight spaces.

Same way kids were entertained before TVs in cars was a thing, or just give them an iPad.

In cold weather, battery life is 30% less. If you dont drive that much, it's not a big deal.

• Love
I have a 7 seaters and 3 kids from newborn to 5yo.

- All sit in middle row with their car seats / infant carrier. Can't be easier than that. If there was a 4th (nephew 12yo) he just climbs from the trunk to the 3rd row (1 folded down)
- My kids don't get to play iPads. They entertain themselves by talking or listening to children songs/stories. They will never play iPad in the car or watch videos in the car.
- Never ran into an issue in winter driving. Granted we are in CA and it doesn't get that cold.

Sorry can't be a better help as everyone's needs are different and every kid is different.

We drive the 7-seater. Three kids 7 and under. All in the middle row. Middle car seat is still rear-facing. Rear-facing seat on left or right might be tough. Bring the car seats to your test drive and try them in different configurations. For us, when guests ride with, two kids go in the third row. Lots of space in the X with the flat floor, frunk, and trunk, but minivan wins in that category. We rent minivans several times per year on vacations and do enjoy the utility. Minivans also win on price. The Tesla wins in all other categories by a mile.

Bottom line: Our X is by far the best car we’ve ever owned.

1. Access to all rows is very simple, optimum on the 6-seater without centre console as they can climb in the 2nd row and use the centre aisle to get into the rear. Also child seats in the second row seats do not need to be removed for 3rd row access as the whole seat folds forward from the base. Basically an awesome kid carrier!

2. I very much doubt our kids even know what a DVD is! Any built-in entertainment system would be obsolete in days. Trust me, Grandkids will bring their own personal entertainment in the form of iPads, Nintendo Switch, 3DS, etc, etc. You might want to look at aftermarket universal iPad/tablet holders for safety and convenience, but that's about all.

3. That's a big question. Short answer, you lose a fair bit of range, say 25-30% typically. Depends a lot on where you live and drive. Better to search the forum for more detailed answers.

The X is an awesome family car and a lot of fun to drive. No regrets here!

1. Access to all rows is very simple, optimum on the 6-seater without centre console as they can climb in the 2nd row and use the centre aisle to get into the rear.

The X is an awesome family car and a lot of fun to drive. No regrets here!
Our order was with the console mainly for the second row passenger having more luxury. Now I'm wondering about the challenge of getting to the 3rd row seating.

Our order was with the console mainly for the second row passenger having more luxury. Now I'm wondering about the challenge of getting to the 3rd row seating.

Tough call. Console makes the 2nd row truly "captains chairs", but takes away an easy ingress/egress pathway, and takes away the spillover legroom for any tall teens or adults that might sit in the 3rd row.

With the Model X, you will need to watch out if any of the kids is prone to motion sickness. May have to put the car in chill mode if needed.
We have a children's Dramamine supply that we use for our boys to solve this problem. They get pre-emptive "barf pills" if the nav shows "twisty roads" ahead. Seems to solve the motion sickness issue. Girls have stronger stomachs and don't need it ;)