Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X buying - Massive Price Misquote - No Help - Angry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X buying journey goes like this. A few years ago when Tesla was still offering big incentives, my rep calls me and says they have a P100D with an insanely huge markdown, but I have to take delivery before the end of the year (which was in one day). While I'm figuring it out, the car is sold. I could never match the really great monthly lease price so I combed the lease trading sites until I found a decent deal and got my Model X, though I had to pay for it to be sent across the country. Now, my lease is ending and I'm ready for a new one, this time a long range. I talk to my rep and he quotes me a great price on an inventory model with a bit of a price markdown. I pull the trigger and pay the $100 deposit, then go to Tesla.com to find that the price doesn't add up when I'm applying for the new lease. The price on the online calculator is about $200/month more than I was quoted. I call the rep who tells me it was a "rookie mistake" and he misquoted the price of the car by $7000. I talk to Tesla and ask if there is anything they can do as that price puts me over the limit I can pay. Rep says no. His manager says they can throw in some floor mats. Not much of a consolation. I call finance. No help. I speak with Tesla's customer loyalty team who, I'm told by finance, has a lot more leeway to make deals. No help. No deal.

My question is this. Should Tesla honor a quote made officially by one of their reps, or find some way to make it right, or am I just out of luck and should expect nothing else? I'm not unrealistic and I should note here that I am a huge Tesla supporter and stock holder, and I have touted the greatness of these cars to anyone who will listen. But I'm angry and disappointed that they wouldn't do anything (and I don't consider some floor mats something). A change in the loan money factor to lower the monthly payments, an equivalent upgrade (like FSD), or anything to make right what was wrong would appease me, but it looks like I'm going to have to go back to lease swapping again and save the 7k there. I'd rather support the company and buy a new car, as swapping a lease isn't a new sale for them, but it seems like they don't really care about that. The whole thing is disappointing. Thoughts?

Sure is disappointing.

Yet stories like this in car sales are very common. Not giving Tesla a free pass, but this stuff happens all the time in every brand.

Bought a used Suburban from a GM dealership out of state. Wired 5k deposit. Got a call next day saying I am sorry there was a mistake.
Had the emails. Wiring instructions provided to me. Had a friend call about the same Suburban. They said it was sold. He inquired about the price for reference. It was sold for 2k more than I had agreed on. I called GM. Along the lines of A deal is a deal. I got the Suburban.

You are not getting the 7k off. As sucky as it is. The call from the SA should always warrant more caution than finding it on your own. Which is downright sad.