Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X charging problems on/off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Need some insights pls.

Since I have had the car, I have had issues with the charge that goes on and off regularly. It tries to charge, fails, starts again and then stops. Sometimes it does that for hours. It goes into infinite loops of starts and stops. This happens mostly at night (temperatures have been dropping during the past few days, but nothing that we cannot expect in France). I looked at my charging logs and I can see the voltage being ok but amps limited to a few (4, 5), ramping up in spikes. My charger is set-up at 25 amps. Then the car stops trying and I have a red light on the charging dock of the car. In the afternoons, it seems to charge ok - can I assume this is battery temp related? I have seen several posts which seems to be relating the same issues - and they refer to a soft upgrade.
Of course then my schedule charge/departure options are not working properly. I turned both of them off. It seems the car is not waking up...
Any advice?

You could try a different charger (non-Fast DC) and see if the problem persists. If the problem persists it leans toward something in the car.

If the problem is not duplicated on another charger, it could be a loose connection in your charger that gets worse as the weather gets colder. Some people have had issues because the mains connections were not properly torqued down.

Hello. Need some insights pls.

Since I have had the car, I have had issues with the charge that goes on and off regularly. It tries to charge, fails, starts again and then stops. Sometimes it does that for hours. It goes into infinite loops of starts and stops. This happens mostly at night (temperatures have been dropping during the past few days, but nothing that we cannot expect in France). I looked at my charging logs and I can see the voltage being ok but amps limited to a few (4, 5), ramping up in spikes. My charger is set-up at 25 amps. Then the car stops trying and I have a red light on the charging dock of the car. In the afternoons, it seems to charge ok - can I assume this is battery temp related? I have seen several posts which seems to be relating the same issues - and they refer to a soft upgrade.
Of course then my schedule charge/departure options are not working properly. I turned both of them off. It seems the car is not waking up...
Any advice?
We have been experiencing similar issues on 2019 X - car is at Tesla right now as the last round of issues happened this Sunday. Car would not charge and tried 2 supercharge locations and about 9 stalls (where others could charge). Car went down to 12 miles and my wife hobbled to Fremont service center. I had to drive over an hour to rescue her and two 5 year olds - not a pleasant experience. Tesla just got back to me saying they can’t replicate the issue and can’t find anything in the logs to show charging issues. BTW, this is the second time the car is in the shop for this issue - same challenge last Oct with a twist…electric discharge from chrome window and door strips (nasty shock) as well as erratic charge behavior at super charger…again a figment of my imagination as Tesla can’t replicate. At this point, car has 23K miles and I am seriously considering dumping the car.