Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X charging slowly after trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2020 Model X for a trip this weekend and charged it various super chargers along the way. I got the car back at 8% battery level and plugged it into the Nema outlet I have at home. (I do not have a Tesla Wall Connector). Home charging has always given me about a 35-40 KM / H range while charging and about a 32-40 kW charge. Right now and all of overnight the car has been charging at 2 KW with only 8/8A. I have reset the circuit breaker, diconnected and reconnected the charging cable but still no avail.
Please advise if someone has a solution.

We're really missing a lot of information to go on. Specifically, WHAT are you plugged into?

plugged it into the Nema outlet I have at home.
ALL outlets are NEMA outlets. It's like the word "metric". NEMA is the system of naming for all outlets in the United States. 5-15, 5-20, 10-30, 14-30, 14-50, 6-50, etc. are all NEMA outlets. So you need to tell what kind of outlet you're using to let us know the voltage and current of your outlet type.

Home charging has always given me about a 35-40 KM / H range while charging and about a 32-40 kW charge.
You don't get anywhere near 32kW from a home connection, so I think something is wrong with your units somewhere. The car only has an 11 kW charger in it, so it can't take any more than that from a home connection.

Right now and all of overnight the car has been charging at 2 KW with only 8/8A.
OK, that is not a normal condition, so it is doing something odd there. That is how many amps it is using out of how many the charging equipment is announcing are available. But that wouldn't be any outlet type that should be advertising only 8A as the available capacity, so it has lowered it for some reason. There weren't any messages on the car's screen warning about something?

Upvote 0
It sounds like there is a poor connection and therefore overheating. Most likely between the wall outlet and Tesla plug, but could be the car receptacle itself.

If your house has a cheap NEMA 14-50 (stove outlet) that was from a big box store, they are crap. They wear out quickly, and overheat, which causes the car to reduce the charging power. Replace the outlet with a quality outlet, such as Hubbel. Usually cost over $50. Avoid Levitron or anything else that cost less than $20. Beware of buying a fake on Amazon, so go to a real electric supplier (for electricians, not home owners)

I’m assuming you meant to say you charge at 32 AMPS, not 32 kW.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Upvote 0