Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s exactly what I was talking about. My simple question is why wasn’t that done at this location. Most likely would have prevented this accident. Poor environmental highway design.

I agree - they should have a row of those to make the lane separation much more apparent. It is almost like they are encouraging people to cut back across at the last moment.

I find my dashcam video clip from 3/15/2018, which is 1 week ago, and made a possible explanation about this crush. I've been driving with both autopilot 1 and autopilot 2.5 on this part of 101 for nearly 2 years, 99% of time it works like charm with low/medium speed, I can only remember once or twice it fooled by tricky light/shadow of the bridge and pingpong around false lane markings.

But considering the crush is happening in the morning and in high speed, I suspect the following clip might provide an possible explanation of this accident, as far as I know Autopilot 1 is very dump against static object on the road.

btw, the bumper is look like this two weeks ago:
2018_0315_165717_457_MOV-2.jpg 2018_0315_165717_457_MOV.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
You know @privater, looking at this frame from your 2-week old footage it looks to me like the barrier was compressed back then, maybe never repaired before this accident. Sort of looks like you can see the metal track exposed that it is suppose to slide on on impact. What do you think?

View attachment 288756

Oh wow. That is bad. If that was still like that (and I have no reason to believe it'd be fixed already), that would make a huge difference to anything that hit that. Again, wow.

Reactions: Ulmo
If you look at the first photo on the KTVU link ( Tesla crashes, catches fire on Hwy 101 in Mountain View ) you can see a silver canister in the foreground. I'm wondering if it wasn't for the white foam that was sprayed.

Looks like a back pack, an orangish snorkel mouthpiece and a compressed gas cylinder. Can't find a link for that type of cylinder though. Might also be a two piece case for something else. Doubt it is part of the X, but may have come from it in terms of luggage. Or it is an EMS crash kit with O2 and mask (round bottom cylinder is not as common, but many have only top painted green).

At first I thought it might be a SCUBA tank (to go with the swim mask seen nearby), but later realized it is a compressed air tank that goes with the "smart air suspension" in the X.

Last edited:
You know @privater, looking at this frame from your 2-week old footage it looks to me like the barrier was compressed back then, maybe never repaired before this accident. Sort of looks like you can see the metal track exposed that it is suppose to slide on on impact. What do you think?
View attachment 288756
Compare to TEG's posts about the barrier:

Oh wow, yes... That could have made a huge difference if they hadn't "reset" that barrier since the last accident there.

Reactions: Swift and lemketron

Yes, I do think it make much difference, also I noticed my video clip is exactly 1 week ago, I don't think they fixed that within 1 week.

• Helpful
Reactions: Swift
Last edited:
Reactions: GatorGuy
I remember when they changed that. The theory, I think, was that putting the soft (lined) gore point farther back would make it less likely that people would change lanes at the last minute. Unfortunately, they didn't move the sign back, which was really the most important part, so people still see the sign too late and change lanes too late.
Also, I'm pretty sure there were yellow water barrels before they redid it. That probably would have saved this guy's life, and there's even more space for them now than before. I really don't get why there aren't any at that spot.

my immediate thought when I saw the photo of the impact barrier at the crash location was -- seems like a good spot for a bunch of those yellow impact barrels like they use a lot around here (Fitch barriers, I believe they're called - and filled with increasing volumes of sand, not water). Are those not commonly used in California?

Note, they do have the "water/sand barrels" on the far right where the Shoreline onramp can split to either 101 or 85:
barrel1.png

The accident site is on the other side of the freeway in the distance on this picture. So they used water/sand-barrels on one side, and that deformable metal box on the far side.

Last edited:
Yes, I do think it make much difference, also I noticed my video clip is exactly 1 week ago, I don't think they fixed that within 1 week.

Yes, didn't really think about the exact dates but yes only 8 days expired between the two. BTW I added a photo from the KTVU Fox livestream in my above post from today in case you haven't looked back in the thread. How would you compare the lengths of the two metal parts and then the track?

Reactions: privater
I agree with @TEG. The part on 101 y-split to 85 is very confusing especially using GPS, either navigation system or Google map will tell you to exit on the right if you want to go 85, or to stay at ‘left’ if you want to continue 101, the problem is, those app didnt tell you that most left lane is actually a carpool lane to 85.
I suspect the driver might want to contine 101, stay at left most lane with ap and suddenly relized it will lead to 85, so he interupt the ap and hit middle bumps.
That 101 and 85 junction underwent massive construction when I used to work near there between 04 and 09.

IIRC, the nav system on my 06 Prius (still using my original map DVD so the maps were finished sometime in 05 or earlier) has the wrong directions on which side to stay on due to the changes from that construction. I've learned to ignore its directions over there.

Last edited:
Reactions: privater
The new 85/101 interchange has always been confusing to me. I drove on them occasionally, maybe 4-5 times a year but still have to rely on navigation, and would make a mistake 1 in 3 times. The freaky thing is that I come down from Shoreline ramp intending to get on 101 south bound but ended up on 85 instead, all the while watching the smoke and firetrucks this (Friday) morning.

So far, potential of causes summarized by forum members are:

1. A corridor lined with solid white confused Autopilot and mistaken for a driving lane
2. Driver last minute jerky move attempting to swirl back to 101

Reasons accident is fatal:

1. High speed driving and thus high speed impact
2. Crumple barrier were previously compressed but not restored

Be careful out there, although Teslas are the safest cars money can buy, doesn't mean us drivers are invincible in them...

In one news report they said the CHP I think said speed wasn't a factor. Maybe they meant excess speed.

Relying on Nav systems can be dangerous if you realize as you are driving they made a mistake and you catch it midstream. I think even the Nav in our car doesn't pick up the HOV left lane On Ramp when you are on 101 NB connecting to 85 NB south of San Jose. That whole interchange was redone a while ago. We usually take the left carpool lane instead of hanging to the right in slower traffic and taking that right On Ramp. Always expecting the system to complain we are going the wrong way. There are areas of San Jose and Campbell that I tend to get lost in and have to rely on the Nav otherwise. You kind of follow blindly if you haven't been in the area and know it well enough.

Yes, didn't really think about the exact dates but yes only 8 days expired between the two. BTW I added a photo from the KTVU Fox livestream in my above post from today in case you haven't looked back in the thread. How would you compare the lengths of the two metal parts and then the track?

The Dash-Cam footage absolutely looks like it was already compacted on 3/15. The track wouldn't be showing like that if it was reset.
What we don't know (right now) is if someone (Caltrans?) reset/rebuilt it in the last week and the Model X just squished it again, or if the Model X ran into an already used up safety barrier.

The Dash-Cam footage absolutely looks like it was already compacted on 3/15. The track wouldn't be showing like that if it was reset.
What we don't know (right now) is if someone (Caltrans?) reset/rebuilt it in the last week and the Model X just squished it again, or if the Model X ran into an already used up safety barrier.
There's a satellite view on google maps that shows it in the original condition. In addition, it looks like there used to be some plastic warning sticks in front of that, because of the series of dots; possible glue residue or bases still in place.
Tesla crash site.png

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold and Ulmo

Any incident that compresses that barrier would likely result in a report by the CHP, so reviewing recent CHP reports would likely give you the last time a crash occurred here. (Are those all online?)

Not sure what information CALTRANS makes public, but I would assume they'd have records when the barrier was last reset/repaired as well. (Is this information available online?)

I hope one of the local news stations is investigating this. Would be tragic if that attenuation barrier hadn't been reset before the accident.

Recent forum posts and links to news stories note that the driver did survive the accident and was removed from the vehicle by good samaritan(s) when they noticed a fire starting (likely with the batteries), although he was unconscious at the time.