Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x headlight issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had an adventure with my headlights but learned a lot....

So the module replacement didn't fix it for either of my lights.

Both of my lights have had on/off issues but the drivers side was worse, 90% off. Passenger side was 95% of the time on. Pass side only went off after I moved the light, first time was after that corner of the car was jacked up, 2nd time after I used it to test new modules but quickly came back on and stayed on each time.

So assuming I had the same problem as others I ordered 3 eBay modules and first went to work on the drivers side. Replaced modules and reprogram the canbus and full software a few times and nothing. I know now you don't need to reprogram anything for new headlights and or modules, don't waste the significant time waiting for that. Tried modules on both lights and no DRL or low beams.

So I ordered an eBay passenger side sae(dot) up level light listed as new. Got it and first plugged it into the drivers side, everything worked perfectly no need to reprogram anything. Tried that brand new module in my original light, no low beam. Everything else worked. Tried the 3 eBay modules in the brand new light everything worked but DRL (consistent with those modules in my light no DRL was the module fault, no low beam was my headlights fault). So that means my stock light has an issue within the light not the module. Tried my old module in the new light everything works so it's not my module.

For a replacement for the drivers side I decided to go cheap, mostly because of the lack of a new up level sae on eBay right now. Pass side I got for $500cdn all in. I don't want to go used for $600-700 knowing how many people are having issues (I have started to pay attention and seen many X's driving around with one out, my neighborhood has another x that I saw out then a few days later saw it on). There was a new ece base light on eBay for $600 after all shipping but didn't want to spend that much on a part that wasn't 100% match.

From what I read in the S forums the only difference from base and up level on that car are the cornering lights which isn't really a big deal to me. I also read about ECE vs dot difference and it sounds really small. I'll blind people less with an ece light and might get a little less light out far but that should be less important as the dot on the passenger side will illuminate the shoulder. So I went with an Ali xpress new ECE base (almost guaranteed to be aftermarket even though the pics look like original tesla) for $400 cdn shipped $300usd. I figured as long as it lasts 3-4 years vs the 6 that OEM did (and more importantly doesn't blow at the same time as the other one) I can replace it twice for the same cost.

I'll update with how it works out after I get it and maybe I'll crack open the old one and see if I can find an obvious loose connection inside.