Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x headlight issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 model X and on the way home tonight realized my drivers side headlight wasn’t working. I’m trying to find out what kind of lights mine has. I’m not really sure. I’m guessing the vehicle doesn’t have headlight bulbs and I’m assuming they are LED’s but I don’t know the difference with Tesla lights. I’m guessing a module has gone.
Perhaps someone with more technical experience can shed some light on it for me. No pun intended. LOL
I have attached 2 pictures of my lights. As you can see pass side is working but drivers is not. Perhaps someone can help.
Sorry it’s pitch black here right now so kind of hard to tell.

Attachments

• B9C87404-1EC8-4063-8AA8-FB9FEEF85FC4.jpeg
    B9C87404-1EC8-4063-8AA8-FB9FEEF85FC4.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 228
  • E08B379F-7E7F-4E25-96CD-34B884C9AD82.jpeg
    E08B379F-7E7F-4E25-96CD-34B884C9AD82.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 116
I went out and looked at my headlight with a flashlight and it looks like this generic picture I found online if this helps anyone.
I’m assuming the issue is the module on the bottom of the light itself.

Attachments

• FC31D8E0-28C5-4EFB-A044-2C817B39FA4E.png
    FC31D8E0-28C5-4EFB-A044-2C817B39FA4E.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: Solidred
Yes they're LED n u can't replace individual LEDs on them. Could be module, could be LEDs themselves. All 2016-2021 should be the same headlight.
Pretty sure they're very pricey from Tesla.
U can grab one off eBay but will need to take off bumper to replace n redeploy software to code them to your car.
YouTube has few videos on teardowns if u curious to see what's inside...

Yes they're LED n u can't replace individual LEDs on them. Could be module, could be LEDs themselves. All 2016-2021 should be the same headlight.
Pretty sure they're very pricey from Tesla.
U can grab one off eBay but will need to take off bumper to replace n redeploy software to code them to your car.
YouTube has few videos on teardowns if u curious to see what's inside...
That’s what I figured. Ok thanks. I’m going to start with the module on the bottom of the light first. Thanks.

Reactions: brainhouston
That’s what I figured. Ok thanks. I’m going to start with the module on the bottom of the light first. Thanks.
You can open a repair ticket through the app. Tesla will provide a detailed quote which you have to approve (or not) before engaging. At the very least you will see the parts required. It might provide some useful information.

You can open a repair ticket through the app. Tesla will provide a detailed quote which you have to approve (or not) before engaging. At the very least you will see the parts required. It might provide some useful information.
All Tesla will do is send me a quote to replace the entire headlight assembly. They don’t actually repair anything, just replace parts assemblies. I will start with the module first. I’m sure that’s what it is.

Reactions: brainhouston
All Tesla will do is send me a quote to replace the entire headlight assembly. They don’t actually repair anything, just replace parts assemblies. I will start with the module first. I’m sure that’s what it is.
That is very likely correct. I was not necessarily suggesting you USE them for the repair, but just use their quote as a reference point.

This response is probably irrelevant … I had two headlamps (sealed beams) on my MX burn out over a period of 24 months.

One was replaced free of charge on my extended warranty. The other cost me $3700CAD. Why? I can’t explain. Hopefully Tesla will have a clear answer for the judge.

A Youtuber by the name BigClive did a tear down of the unit in question trying to figure out what went wrong. Guess what? Water infiltrated the electronics module causing corrosion and a short circuit. Wear s as be tear? Hardly. Faulty design. I guarentee this is not a rare occurrence.

I just replaced the module and it fixed my issue. I purchased a pair of 2 modules but only ended up needing one of them.
Was anything else required past simply replacing the module? I obtained a module and did the swap but it did not resolve the issue. Very well could still be bad LEDs as well but did not know if a software update/push was required to get yours working.