Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X keyfob misbehaves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model X
These days some door randomly opens, most likely it's caused by the keyfob

Car is out of warranty now. Anyone has done out of warranty keyfob replacement before?
The fob Battery may be going dead soon , normally you will get a warning on the dash that key fob battery replacement. The fob battery is a consumable so it is not covered by warranty, but you can buy the battery and replace it yourself, or the service center can do it . I got mine replaced while I was travelling - cost me ~ $13 for replacing the batteries in both the fobs at a service center in Cathedral City, CA.

I think @Rice&Curry is on the right track. Replace the battery and see how it goes. The SC can do it, but you can also do it. It is quick and easy. Just open the fob up with a small screwdriver and swap the battery.

One complication of DIY is the battery looks like a CR 2032 you can find at a grocery store but is not. The battery you need for a model X is a CR 2354. You will need to get that off Amazon or other sites, or perhaps a Battery Plus store. Because they are hard to find, I replaced mine once a year or so.

Also, if the doors are randomly open, make sure you are not accidentally putting pressure on the buttons on the side of the fob which open the door, frunk, and liftgate. Many owners put their fobs in some sort of key fob case to make the bottom harder to press. I had mine go off just from change in my pocket, or in my wife's case junk in her purse. You can buy these guard cases on Amazon or other online stores.

Last edited:
More than one door? I have passive entry disabled, so I have to unlock with the fob, which triggers the driver door to open. For the last few updates, I sometimes see the passenger door open when the driver door does, but if your FWDs are also opening, that'd be something different than me for sure.

More than one door? I have passive entry disabled, so I have to unlock with the fob, which triggers the driver door to open. For the last few updates, I sometimes see the passenger door open when the driver door does, but if your FWDs are also opening, that'd be something different than me for sure.
FWD are the most frequently undesired openings for me. The buttons on the side of the fob are the most likely to offer undesired clicks. Happens frequently. While driving the doors do not open, of course, but you get three loud beeps, from whichever side of the fob you sat on.

My keyfobs croak in weird, intermittent ways twice. Opened doors randomly. Folded mirrors randomly. Neither time was the batteries: only a new keyfob fixed the problem. Still under warranty both times so I can't help with your question: time to contact service. I have purchased items out of warranty (from Tesla service) and was pretty convenient: mobile technician dropped it off on his way to another job.

Reactions: keytalker
TThanks for the suggestions. I used to get the keyfob low battery warning. After battery replacement, the ghost opening starts happening more frequently. I guess the keyfob now feels it's being supercharged.
I also might suggest taking your older key fob apart and cleaning the dirt and gunk from inside, around microswitches and the spaces between the body and the press pieces. They could be sticking in the switch pressed position.

My 2017 fob was pretty dirty. After "rebuilding" it, I bought a nice leather jacket on Amazon for it. Has been great for 3 months now.