Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X optional with non Falcon-Wing-Doors

Should Tesla make "normal" doors optional on the Model X

• Yes

Votes: 98 37.4%
  • No

Votes: 164 62.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla would simply make mine & deliver it, I'd be more than happy to test it in any & all weather, and let them know just how it's working. Hey, I'll even pick it up at the factory & drive it home. Donner pass, AWD, hope it's snowing! We will have SuperChargers across I-80 by then, right? I know, different thread. ML

The Falcon door design is functionally elegant. There is, however, additional complication in the extra hinging to articulate the door, and large, heavy objects will be more difficult to mount on the roof. Execution of the design, so that it does not leak or rattle will determmine its success.

I do like the doors but wonder how cold snowy climates will take to it. It will be very interesting to see if the California centric engineering which likely led to some cold weather problems with the Model S will also affect the X? When those falcon doors open when its really cold outside the car's inside temperature will probably drop much more than a car with normal doors. The warm air is going to go up and out very quickly and the door will be open far longer than regular doors. (sliding or not) I hope Tesla has done some cold weather testing of this. And with both doors open brr:smile: Better have a good heater! That along with the snow may be more of a problem than Tesla realizes.

While initially there were some significant issues with the operation of the Sig Model S in cold weather in Canada, Tesla retrofitted the cars to provide adequate defrost and has made other changes as required, at no additional charge.

However, the concerns with snow on the roof seem more fundamental (as well as being less likely to be a top-of-mind concern in California than in this part of the world). I don't view hatchbacks as equivalent to the falcon wing doors in terms of the problems posed by snow. It is much easier to clear the snow off the relevant areas of a hatchback, than it will be to clear off the roof of a Model X. I too would also prefer to have the option of purchasing a Model X with conventional sliding or hinged doors, both to facilitate the use of roof racks and to avoid cold weather problems with snow.

IMO, you are asking to much from Tesla if you want door options. Designing a vehicle that could be ordered with 2 completely different rear door openings would be a massive task. I believe that if they feel the falcon doors were to complicated and going to be problematic they would not have designed that way from the get go. When you get to see a Model X in the showroom and feel after looking at it and seeing how the doors work and still have apprehension then maybe this is not the SUV for you.

IMO, you are asking to much from Tesla if you want door options. Designing a vehicle that could be ordered with 2 completely different rear door openings would be a massive task. I believe that if they feel the falcon doors were to complicated and going to be problematic they would not have designed that way from the get go. When you get to see a Model X in the showroom and feel after looking at it and seeing how the doors work and still have apprehension then maybe this is not the SUV for you.

Fair comment. I suspect that a number of us are getting grumpy at the duration of the wait for the Model X, believe that the doors are quite likely the source of the delay, and that the "feature" is one that we could quite happily live without (especially if it would substantially shorten the delivery wait). I am certainly looking forward to seeing the Model X in production and tens of thousands of them on the road.

Fair comment. I suspect that a number of us are getting grumpy at the duration of the wait for the Model X, believe that the doors are quite likely the source of the delay, and that the "feature" is one that we could quite happily live without (especially if it would substantially shorten the delivery wait). I am certainly looking forward to seeing the Model X in production and tens of thousands of them on the road.

Elon specifically said that the doors was not the reason for the delay during the Q3 meeting. If people want a Tesla without falcon doors, Model S is the car to order.

Update: Listen to the meeting by clicking on the webcast link from this page: http://ir.teslamotors.com/events.cfm

ModelX1.jpg

Did anyone notice that the "Image" in the Model X email has a "slot" in the roof. It appears to run down the center and the hinge points for the Falcon Wing Doors are above the slot on either side. This possible the answer for placing ski's on the roof without affecting the door opening.

As somebody said earlier, having normal doors all around as an option is a no brainer. I admit that I was drawn to the X because of the FWD. I thought they were cool and a step into the future, so I put down my deposit. But as time passed and more and more delays at the factory due to the doors, doubts set in as to their reliability over the long haul - five or ten years down the road. Will they be another Edsel? But then I thought about our life style. Very, very seldom do we have a car full of tall passengers. So getting in and out of the rear seats is not a big plus. However something that we as a family have been doing for many years, is to get a Christmas tree and put it on the roof of the car. How would we do that with the current X?

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
As somebody said earlier, having normal doors all around as an option is a no brainer. I admit that I was drawn to the X because of the FWD. I thought they were cool and a step into the future, so I put down my deposit. But as time passed and more and more delays at the factory due to the doors, doubts set in as to their reliability over the long haul - five or ten years down the road. Will they be another Edsel? But then I thought about our life style. Very, very seldom do we have a car full of tall passengers. So getting in and out of the rear seats is not a big plus. However something that we as a family have been doing for many years, is to get a Christmas tree and put it on the roof of the car. How would we do that with the current X?
The car without FWD would be a completely different car. Using the term no brainer doesn't justify your opinion as being a smart one. Elon is not trying to ruin your Christmas traditions. You can still tie the tree on your car if you want to, just open only one FWD or rent an SUV with four regular doors that you seem to love so much... to me, that would be the NO BRAINER idea for hauling stuff on top. ;)

I do think making normal door option is great. FWD should be a upgrade option. This brings two purposes:

1. People who do not want the FWD or people afraid the door might break on them should have an option to choose the basic door.
2. People who want FWD will pay more for it, and understands how FWD works, more tolerable if the door malfunctions.

I personally will not buy this car without the FWD, but that is just me. I want everything new and innovative, even they might present some kind of early problems. The Model X with the way it is now, it's all I can ask for at this stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: sukhi

2016 UPDATE: We had planned to get an X but got tired of the wait and got a second Model S (90D) instead. The Model S, with the 2 inch trailer hitch and roof rack, does everything that we wanted the Model X to do (four wheel drive, carrying bicycles on the hitch mounted bicycle rack, and a kayak and surf board on the roof rack). We will watch with interest to see what roof racks are developed for the Model X and to see how the falcon wing doors work next winter in snow country.