Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P100D vs Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yerEVan

Dec 29, 2018
Near Philly
I purchased a model 3 stealth Perf last September. Its acceleration is outstanding. We recently purchased a March 2018 X P100D and it has ludicrous for now, may disappear after a month or two (trial)

The Sport mode feels more like an AWD model 3 "Standard" mode. It definitely feels nothing like my P3D- in Sport mode.

The ludicrous mode on X "does" feel on par with my P3D- in Sport mode.

So I'm wondering if anyone else out there has this combo of vehicles and agrees with my assessment and should I mention something to the SC?

I think I read somewhere that the X P100D does 0-60 in 3.4 in Sport mode, which is about the same as the 3 but my X definitely doesn't feel like that at all. Much slower off the line.

I purchased a model 3 stealth Perf last September. Its acceleration is outstanding. We recently purchased a March 2018 X P100D and it has ludicrous for now, may disappear after a month or two (trial)

The Sport mode feels more like an AWD model 3 "Standard" mode. It definitely feels nothing like my P3D- in Sport mode.

So I'm wondering if anyone else out there has this combo of vehicles and agrees with my assessment and should I mention something to the SC?

I think I read somewhere that the X P100D does 0-60 in 3.4 in Sport mode, which is about the same as the 3 but my X definitely doesn't feel like that at all. Much slower off the line.

Yes I have the same vehicles, P3D- and X Performance with Ludicrous. Sport mode is definitely slower than the P3D-, it's about on par with my old X75D. P100D (Now just Performance) with Ludicrous on the Ludicrous setting feels very similar to the P3D-, but in my opinion it's just a bit faster.

Once your Ludicrous goes away, though, you're not left with Sport mode. Your Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ buttons will be replaced with Insane and Insane+ buttons. I haven't driven an X Performance without Ludicrous, but I would expect that these insane and insane+ are going to be just a touch slower than your P3D-

But yeah, Sport on a P100D isn't going to be anywhere nearly as fast as Sport on a P3D-. It's Ludicrous and Insane modes which you're looking for there.

Yes I have the same vehicles, P3D- and X Performance with Ludicrous. Sport mode is definitely slower than the P3D-, it's about on par with my old X75D. P100D (Now just Performance) with Ludicrous on the Ludicrous setting feels very similar to the P3D-, but in my opinion it's just a bit faster.

Once your Ludicrous goes away, though, you're not left with Sport mode. Your Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ buttons will be replaced with Insane and Insane+ buttons. I haven't driven an X Performance without Ludicrous, but I would expect that these insane and insane+ are going to be just a touch slower than your P3D-

But yeah, Sport on a P100D isn't going to be anywhere nearly as fast as Sport on a P3D-. It's Ludicrous and Insane modes which you're looking for there.
Ok. Good info. Thanks. Didn’t know it gives insane mode. Is that small-ish incremental change from Insane to L worth 20k?

Ok. Good info. Thanks. Didn’t know it gives insane mode. Is that small-ish incremental change from Insane to L worth 20k?

Not to me, especially since I've already got a 3 Performance as a fast car. I picked it up because it was free for previous X or S owners which was nice. If someone offered me $20k to take Ludicrous off my car I'd probably take it, but everyone's different so that one's totally up to you

My 3 did not qualify as a previous owner to get free ludicrous. I was bummed. Kinda like “you’re not privileged enough to get it, only having a 3”.
And now it looks like Ludicrous is available for free with new X performance purchase.

After owning a MS since 2015 I purchased a new MS and took delivery a few weeks ago after tesla convinced me to get a new one with the 20k ludicrous option at no charge. I love the car.

It has ludicrous and ludicrous+. With the price change from today looks like the ludicrous option is no longer available. Did tesla dupe me and now they are giving it as part of the performance option or are they no longer selling the ludicrous+ option? I was hoping I had a 120k car for 100k and it would be a bit until it depreciated down to the 100k I paid :-( anyone have any more info on this. I have asked my sales guy so if I hear anything will post it here.

They raised the price of the Performance models but now include Ludicrous in that price. Still, it was a $4-5K "deal" for anyone who received the loyalty discount. The free Ludicrous promotion would have devalued Ludicrous cars anyway, so in a way, this is likely a net positive move - unless you had the misfortune to have recently paid the full $20K ($27K in Canada!) for Ludicrous.

In Canada, Performance Ludicrous was around $169K which, after the loyalty credit, netted around $142K. Same car is now around $149K.

After owning a MS since 2015 I purchased a new MS and took delivery a few weeks ago after tesla convinced me to get a new one with the 20k ludicrous option at no charge. I love the car.

It has ludicrous and ludicrous+. With the price change from today looks like the ludicrous option is no longer available. Did tesla dupe me and now they are giving it as part of the performance option or are they no longer selling the ludicrous+ option? I was hoping I had a 120k car for 100k and it would be a bit until it depreciated down to the 100k I paid :-( anyone have any more info on this. I have asked my sales guy so if I hear anything will post it here.

ludicrous option is now standard

Maybe I'll have a good argument now to keep ludicrous on the X I just received last month. So if it disappears, I'll write a note saying if they could put it back on.

Although the discount I received for it being a demo model is ludicrous in itself in a good way.

My wife and I were recently next to each other at a stoplight, both at around 60% charge. Her P100D X beat me off the line in my 3PD+. She was in sport mode.

The whole thing was pretty disappointing for a variety of reasons :)

My wife and I were recently next to each other at a stoplight, both at around 60% charge. Her P100D X beat me off the line in my 3PD+. She was in sport mode.

The whole thing was pretty disappointing for a variety of reasons :)
I tried to find a site to show 0-60 times for each model/year/mode, but i couldn't find it, but i'll have to try that out with my wife. But from basically driving both in sport mode, there is no way that the X in sport mode is faster than 3 in sport mode. it feels way more sluggish than my 3.

Maybe your wife slipped it into Insane+ mode without you knowing?

Data from 2018, but the 2019 Raven X's are faster than the 2017 X's (The Performance Ludicrous S is 2.2 0-60). Nothing I could find in "Sport" mode.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 5.07.44 PM.png

Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster, Model 3, Model S, Model X, Model U, Model Y & more Electric Car 0 to 60 stats!

Data from 2018, but the 2019 Raven X's are faster than the 2017 X's (The Performance Ludicrous S is 2.2 0-60). Nothing I could find in "Sport" mode.

View attachment 430352

Tesla 0-60 Times & Tesla Quarter Mile Times | Tesla Roadster, Model 3, Model S, Model X, Model U, Model Y & more Electric Car 0 to 60 stats!
Thank you. I did see this but yeah doesn't have the 2018 nor just sport mode. I thought Tesla would have it documented as they advertise it on the new cars online. Oh well.

I tried to find a site to show 0-60 times for each model/year/mode, but i couldn't find it, but i'll have to try that out with my wife. But from basically driving both in sport mode, there is no way that the X in sport mode is faster than 3 in sport mode. it feels way more sluggish than my 3.

Maybe your wife slipped it into Insane+ mode without you knowing?
She has a habit of switching to Ludicrous mode...all the time.

My 3 did not qualify as a previous owner to get free ludicrous. I was bummed. Kinda like “you’re not privileged enough to get it, only having a 3”.
And now it looks like Ludicrous is available for free with new X performance purchase.

Same here. I listened to Elon and the Earnings Call in April, and he said "And we also introduced a loyalty program, where if somebody has an -- is an existing Tesla owner and they buy a performance Model S or X, they get the ludicrous upgrade for free. So this is -- yeah, as a thank you and an appreciation to existing Tesla customers." Nothing about having to be a Model S or X owner only. I am an existing Tesla M3 Performance owner (Paid $75K about the same as a Model S standard then), so I ordered my wife a Model X Performance with Ludicrous online. Called to make sure the $20k would be taken off, then found out I didn't qualify. Canceled the order and the called and said build it without. I was a birthday present for her. I hoped that it would be resolved before delivery. Took the delivery end of June and now it's free 2 weeks later. I should have returned it and reordered because she wanted a different color, but I convinced her to keep. My bad. Maybe if we all ban together. I was told to send an email to [email protected] and if enough people complained, something might happen. Like the $5K rebate for the M3 Performance Wheel package that became free in October.

Same here. I listened to Elon and the Earnings Call in April, and he said "And we also introduced a loyalty program, where if somebody has an -- is an existing Tesla owner and they buy a performance Model S or X, they get the ludicrous upgrade for free. So this is -- yeah, as a thank you and an appreciation to existing Tesla customers." Nothing about having to be a Model S or X owner only. I am an existing Tesla M3 Performance owner (Paid $75K about the same as a Model S standard then), so I ordered my wife a Model X Performance with Ludicrous online. Called to make sure the $20k would be taken off, then found out I didn't qualify. Canceled the order and the called and said build it without. I was a birthday present for her. I hoped that it would be resolved before delivery. Took the delivery end of June and now it's free 2 weeks later. I should have returned it and reordered because she wanted a different color, but I convinced her to keep. My bad. Maybe if we all ban together. I was told to send an email to [email protected] and if enough people complained, something might happen. Like the $5K rebate for the M3 Performance Wheel package that became free in October.
After 6 weeks it’s still on car so I don’t want to alert them. So I can’t write to them unless it falls off.

i traded my P3D- for an X P90DL (rather, I sold the former to buy the latter) and also felt like the 3 is faster. Estimated 0-60 times are 3.5 for the 3 (at the time I had it), and 3.0 for the X. I have recorded run times on my dragy and the fastest I got was 3.53 for the 3 and 3.63 for the X in Ludicrous Plus mode so not only does it feel slower, it actually is. It's a shame that I have to spend 30 minutes "warming" up the battery when the power on the 3 is instant and always available.

• Funny
Reactions: ytwytw