Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone recommend a good set of mats for the refresh? Also, any other accessory that you have liked so far.
Thanks in advance. 👍
I would love to know this as well. WeatherTech and Tesla's own aren't out yet. The pre-refresh mats looks like they would pretty much fit but there are differences. Model S refresh mats are out so hopefully something comes soon.

I checked in the app a couple weeks ago and it said my delivery was expected in February! But then on Monday they called and said I could pick it up the next day. :)
Upon pick-up, you have to review and agree to several documents and two of them reported 80 miles on the car. But you can't open the car to check the mileage until after you agree that the car has 80 miles on it. So you just have to take their word.
Problems... There is a 2 inch sticky white strip of plastic hanging from the FWD hinge between the door side and the roof.
There was a loose screw sticking out between the back row seat the the side of the car. It fell into an unreachable void when I tried to pick it up.
I noticed that the rubber panel between the fronk hood and the car body near the windshield was loose and misaligned near the windshield. The same rubber panel was completely missing on the other side.
On the driver's side top corner where the window meets the car frame, the rubber seal is loose. It's firmly in place on the passenger side.
In the fronk, there is a package with what I think is a jack, but the foam insert has holes shaped for other tools that I think are missing. Anybody know what exactly is supposed to be in that big square bag?
The third row of seats make quite a groaning sound when you press the button and they don't always want to go down until you press the button again. Also, they don't quite line up when upright.
These are all the problem's I've noticed so far. Overall it's a sweet ride, but these things need to be fixed. The earliest service appointment is over a month away!

so I took delivery last Wednesday. So far I love the car.
Some cosmetic issues with the chairs , scratch on the rim , squicking noise from second raw chairs. Driver window side doesn’t valise and open with one touch.

I do have questions for you :
- can’t reach the sentry mode on the main screen.
- when press on Dashcam, I get a notice that this is unavailable. When going to the control / security , it seems like i need to erase the usb in order to get it to work but I didn’t touch it as there is a warning coming that this will erase all data …. I’m confused

Thanks and hope you all enjoy your X

Reactions: Hebert and EV_LIFE
Here are my thoughts on the car from the first full day

Starting with the good:
1. The car drives amazing and the tech is out of this world.

2. Autopilot really has improved since the last time I drove a Tesla.

3. Acceleration feels like a P90DL but the handling and comfort is sooooo much better than previous Model X's

There are so many good things to say but I can't put them all here.

The Bad:
4. LOT of bugs, the passenger side falcon wing door started glitching today, it won't go down because it thinks there is an optical so we have to manual override that to make it close. we are hoping a software update will fix that.

5. The software is glitchy at times, it will sometimes play ice-cream music when im looking at sentry mode from my phone. In addition the voice commands sometimes will not respond at all.

There are further things I will elaborate later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kfirusa
I do have questions for you :
- can’t reach the sentry mode on the main screen.
- when press on Dashcam, I get a notice that this is unavailable. When going to the control / security , it seems like i need to erase the usb in order to get it to work but I didn’t touch it as there is a warning coming that this will erase all data …. I’m confused
I used the Format USB button in the control/security and then it worked fine for me. When you take delivery, there shouldn't be any data on the USB anyway so don't worry about losing data. I viewed a couple days of sentry mode incidents and dashcam footage but the next day all I could see was a frozen image. I got a 2TB USB thumb drive and tried the "Format" button but it isn't working. I put the original 156GB drive back in and dashcam and sentry mode work again. I think the 2TB drive I got is not compatible.

Reactions: Kfirusa
I used the Format USB button in the control/security and then it worked fine for me. When you take delivery, there shouldn't be any data on the USB anyway so don't worry about losing data. I viewed a couple days of sentry mode incidents and dashcam footage but the next day all I could see was a frozen image. I got a 2TB USB thumb drive and tried the "Format" button but it isn't working. I put the original 156GB drive back in and dashcam and sentry mode work again. I think the 2TB drive I got is not compatible.
Thank you. I tried that and it worked.
Also - there was an update couple days ago about enabling the camera over the front mirror. Do you know how to active that one ?

Delivered 12/03/2021
MXLR Blue/Black/20”/6 Seater/No FSD

1. Missing trunk tray.
2. Stains on chairs and panels.
3. Driver side window stops going up as if gets stuck.
4. Passenger side FWD doesn’t close. Thinks something is in the way. I can see the red sensor flashing on the display like something is outside the door.
5 looks like clear coat drops on the driver side rear window.
6. Panel carpet in rear truck not assembled correctly. Completely missed the holes.
7. Clunk sound from front and rear passenger side suspension on uneven surfaces.
8. Driver side FWD panel rubbing paint off body of car.
9. Wipers leaving streaks of I wiped rain.
10. Creaking sounds on uneven surfaces. Probably the FWD and the body.
11. Probably more that is not known…

It’s brand new!!! Needless to say, disappointed and would not recommend Tesla to anyone. Seems like they are taking advantage of buyers with touchless pick up.
Well, I had a 2021 Model YLR that I thought was perfect that I sold to buy an X BUT that's off the table now. Twice the $$$ should equal "perfection"!

Well, I had a 2021 Model YLR that I thought was perfect that I sold to buy an X BUT that's off the table now. Twice the $$$ should equal "perfection"!
These are some of the very first Xs off the line, so I’m sure the QC issues will be resolved over time. Also, I think it highly depends upon your delivery center.

If you buy now, it will be 2023 before you get it, so there will be plenty of time for the teething issues to resolve 😄

Reactions: YBLee
These are some of the very first Xs off the line, so I’m sure the QC issues will be resolved over time. Also, I think it highly depends upon your delivery center.

If you buy now, it will be 2023 before you get it, so there will be plenty of time for the teething issues to resolve 😄
Sounds like a plan. Worse care if I get in the Q and it arrives with similar quality issues, I can refuse it, no real loss. Thx for the feedback.

Going to order both the X and a YLR on January 2nd. I assume I'll take delivery of the YLR first, probably July. When the X arrives late 2022 early 2023, I'll decide which to keep. I'll at least have a T to drive for a while and maybe one with 4680's!?!

Delivered 12/03/2021
MXLR Blue/Black/20”/6 Seater/No FSD

1. Missing trunk tray.
2. Stains on chairs and panels.
3. Driver side window stops going up as if gets stuck.
4. Passenger side FWD doesn’t close. Thinks something is in the way. I can see the red sensor flashing on the display like something is outside the door.
5 looks like clear coat drops on the driver side rear window.
6. Panel carpet in rear truck not assembled correctly. Completely missed the holes.
7. Clunk sound from front and rear passenger side suspension on uneven surfaces.
8. Driver side FWD panel rubbing paint off body of car.
9. Wipers leaving streaks of I wiped rain.
10. Creaking sounds on uneven surfaces. Probably the FWD and the body.
11. Probably more that is not known…

It’s brand new!!! Needless to say, disappointed and would not recommend Tesla to anyone. Seems like they are taking advantage of buyers with touchless pick up.
Adding more issues
11. 2 fender flares have gap/alignment issues
12. Rear bumper gap/alignment to body issues.
13. Left turn signal stopped working for 1-2 minutes.

That was the first week of ownership. Waiting to get it back from service. Results TBD.

Adding more issues
11. 2 fender flares have gap/alignment issues
12. Rear bumper gap/alignment to body issues.
13. Left turn signal stopped working for 1-2 minutes.

That was the first week of ownership. Waiting to get it back from service. Results TBD.
Sorry to hear about all of the problems… I took delivery yesterday and already put about 450 miles on it for a family holiday.

I have not experienced any of the above issues you are seeing, yet. There were two minor cosmetic paint issues and a different (~2mm) gap difference between each FWD and the respective front doors.

The SC in which I took delivery took an extra week to delivery my car… While Fremont had passed inspections for it, the SC found problems they had to fix before handing it off to me. While that further tried my patience, I‘m not grateful I waited on the other side.

I did notice two other minor things:
1. The Tesla app had a few initial glitches: a) it thought my car was a Y, but after killing and re-opening, it was an X; b) the phone key kept asking to set the App’s location privacy setting to “Always”, but “Location” wasn’t available for the app. I’ve seen this with other apps during iOS development. Eventually it randomly decided to show up (presumably after moving around a bit) and I was able to pick always
2. The back screen has some frame rate refresh issues. The audio is fine, but video stutters a little.

Overall, I’ve been very impressed with the quality and experience in my first 24 hours, with ~8 of those on highways with the car.

Reactions: Zygote1975
So today I called Tesla support and over the phone they were able to recalibrate the passenger side falcon wing door and fix the issue.

Another problem I'm having is that summon won't go forward it only goes backward when I trie, smart summon will back out of a spot but won't stop reversing and appears like it going to ram into another car. Talked with Tesla about this and they said there is noting they can do remotely, so they said to just wait for the next software update and if that doesn't fix it I can make a service appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: Fulkth
I discovered that I am having problems with my middle row seats not folding up completely. They seem to stop pre-maturely and don’t tilt forward.

I do have kids car seats attached, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Anyone else seeing similar?

I discovered that I am having problems with my middle row seats not folding up completely. They seem to stop pre-maturely and don’t tilt forward.

I do have kids car seats attached, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? Anyone else seeing similar?
Are your seats anchored in? Mine are booster style due to height and weight using the belt normal style. I can anchor mine in quick and give it a try if that's how yours are.

Took delivery in NY on Sunday and so far, it is perfect. All carpets there, speakers perfect (I think), no panel gaps or stains or anything. I actually had two small trunk cover boards so I might have the one that's missing in another vehicle. The only thing I can't get to work is actually the two key fobs. They pair with the car, but the car is totally unresponsive to the buttons on the fob.
@jamishmo

we had the same issues with our PLAID S- the fob cell battery is toast. Guess they were standing around for too long.
IMPORTANT- these batteries are different from the old ones, bigger diameter (what a silly decision) and even the service center doesn´t know about them, so You have to get them from the web.

Reactions: Fulkth and jamishmo
So today I called Tesla support and over the phone they were able to recalibrate the passenger side falcon wing door and fix the issue.

Another problem I'm having is that summon won't go forward it only goes backward when I trie, smart summon will back out of a spot but won't stop reversing and appears like it going to ram into another car. Talked with Tesla about this and they said there is noting they can do remotely, so they said to just wait for the next software update and if that doesn't fix it I can make a service appointment.
Yeah, this stuff makes me way too nervous to actually use it. I mean, how close do you let it get?

hi friend, tell me, is the summon can only be operated with FSD ?