Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022+ Model X Refresh front bumper retrofit on 2016+ Legacy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am opening a similar thread which is in Model S forum for Model X forum here Refresh 2021 front bumper facelift on 2016+?

Some members like @Rockwell @AndreX @majgi have successfully bought a used (and slightly damaged) 2021/2022 facelift bumper from sites like eBay and retrofitted on their 2016+ cars, which shows that it's possible to do it if one is willing to make some amends to the bumper.

Now I have been talking to a Chinese vendor who is willing to produce these in mass if enough demand is shown by 2016-2020 car owners. Why get it from China instead of Tesla? Well because Tesla won't sell you these parts over-the-counter. They will want VIN from 2021/2022 car to order this and they won't give you the part, they will ask you to bring in the 2021/2022 car in SC to install it themselves, which makes it impossible for us 2016-2020 car owners to get the facelifted bumper direct from Tesla.

So please, if you are interested in retrofiiting Refresh Model X bumper on your 2016-2020 car, show your interested in the thread below so that these Chinese factories start producing these for us legacy X owners. The more interest is shown here, the higher chance we get this produced soon!

I am opening a similar thread which is in Model S forum for Model X forum here Refresh 2021 front bumper facelift on 2016+?

Some members like @Rockwell @AndreX @majgi have successfully bought a used (and slightly damaged) 2021/2022 facelift bumper from sites like eBay and retrofitted on their 2016+ cars, which shows that it's possible to do it if one is willing to make some amends to the bumper.

Now I have been talking to a Chinese vendor who is willing to produce these in mass if enough demand is shown by 2016-2020 car owners. Why get it from China instead of Tesla? Well because Tesla won't sell you these parts over-the-counter. They will want VIN from 2021/2022 car to order this and they won't give you the part, they will ask you to bring in the 2021/2022 car in SC to install it themselves, which makes it impossible for us 2016-2020 car owners to get the facelifted bumper direct from Tesla.

So please, if you are interested in retrofiiting Refresh Model X bumper on your 2016-2020 car, show your interested in the thread below so that these Chinese factories start producing these for us legacy X owners. The more interest is shown here, the higher chance we get this produced soon!
Is there really no one with legacy Model X interested in this?

FRONT RETROFIT PARTS: 1. Use your old parking sensor and brackets. 2. Refresh valance and old undertray aeroshield need to be modified. 3. Old bumper slotted clip holes, end holes and center screw mount along the upper grille chrome need to be cut from old and swapped to the refresh. (Use plastic weld/jb weld and bondo)

Front bumper refresh: 1588184-S0-A
Foglight brackets left: 1588186-00-C, 1588188-01-A, 1588188-02-A
Foglight brackets right: 1588187-00-C, 1588189-02-A, 1588189-01-A
Foglight left: 1621194-00-C
Foglight right: 1621195-00-C
Front grille fascia: 1588197-00-E
Front valance: 1850081-00-A

REAR RETROFIT PARTS: Refresh diffuser and old undertray aeroshield need to be modified

Rear bumper: (use your old one)
Bumper lower fascia: 1609582-00-A
Tow cover: 1609584-00-A
Diffuser: 1711840-00-B

"I attached plastic weld to buy from amazon. Also, Im still needed to confirm the front grille fascia placement to the old active grille assembly to see if it fit or need to modify"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_215839_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_215839_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 170

No need to ask China to make a modified refresh bumper to sell it. Beside the clip holes along the chrome grill, any handy person or shop can do it.

But thanks for looking out!

What we need is how to get both foglights to work without any modification. Without it, this refresh is useless. But I got an idea, hope it work!

Reactions: taimurasad
FRONT RETROFIT PARTS: 1. Use your old parking sensor and brackets. 2. Refresh valance and old undertray aeroshield need to be modified. 3. Old bumper slotted clip holes, end holes and center screw mount along the upper grille chrome need to be cut from old and swapped to the refresh. (Use plastic weld/jb weld and bondo)

REAR RETROFIT PARTS: Refresh diffuser and old undertray aeroshield need to be modified

"I attached plastic weld to buy from amazon. Also, Im still needed to confirm the front grille fascia placement to the old active grille assembly to see if it fit or need to modify"
this is great ty man just a question like next to the fog brackets u have a few part numbers are those just different variations of each part and we can use any of the 3 numbers?

Thank you so much for detailing this. I am in the process of ordering parts. if I have any question, I will ask you!

this is great ty man just a question like next to the fog brackets u have a few part numbers are those just different variations of each part and we can use any of the 3 numbers?
Those are exactly the part number for all those bracket. I copy exactly from Tesla model X refresh.
Sometime when you buy used refresh bumoer, it doesn't come complete. I know the large one around $45 and the 2 small one cost $25 each from Tesla.

Reactions: lit af
Thank you so much for detailing this. I am in the process of ordering parts. if I have any question, I will ask you!
Remember you need to cut the old bumper reinforcement end to fit the foglight and bottom for air duct. Also Tesla will not sell you the parts unless you know a way. Once you included the refresh part number, they will automatically cancel the request.

No need to ask China to make a modified refresh bumper to sell it. Beside the clip holes along the chrome grill, any handy person or shop can do it.

But thanks for looking out!

What we need is how to get both foglights to work without any modification. Without it, this refresh is useless. But I got an idea, hope it work!

What were you thinking? Another member I was chatting with was going to try swapping the legacy X fog light internals into the new fog lights but that sounds like a lot of work. I was going to try to inspect the CAN traffic the next time I have a foglight out but it's pretty low on my list of things to do.

What were you thinking? Another member I was chatting with was going to try swapping the legacy X fog light internals into the new fog lights but that sounds like a lot of work. I was going to try to inspect the CAN traffic the next time I have a foglight out but it's pretty low on my list of things to do.
looking at the 2 the old housing is so much bigger than the new one might be a hard swap

looking at the 2 the old housing is so much bigger than the new one might be a hard swap
I was contemplating over and over about the two fogs. It look like the refresh fog have no room to mount the old board, but I might be wrong.

Another way we can make it work is mount the old fog into a weather seal box and buy the 6 pins connectors male and female with wiring harness so its looks more professional (part of the car).

That only hard part is verifying and rewire the refresh fog to all leds.

taimurasad, if you can have the chinese work on that, that would be very helpful.

Reactions: Rockwell
I was contemplating over and over about the two fogs. It look like the refresh fog have no room to mount the old board, but I might be wrong.

Another way we can make it work is mount the old fog into a weather seal box and buy the 6 pins connectors male and female with wiring harness so its looks more professional (part of the car).

taimurasad, if you can have the chinese work on that, that would be very helpful.
I meant mount the old fog internal board into a seal box.

I tried to talking to Chinese about it but they won’t bulge at anything unless there’s significant demand for it.

Can you please tell me where can I find this? Front valance: 1850081-00-A

Looked all over and couldn’t find anyone selling it. Where did you source this part from @AndreX ?

Also, can you please confirm if it will look like this?

IMG_3620.jpeg

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Can you please tell me where can I find this? Front valance: 1850081-00-A

Looked all over and couldn’t find anyone selling it. Where did you source this part from @AndreX ?

Also, can you please confirm if it will look like this?

View attachment 971075

Thanks for your help.
I saw one just now for $299 with $80 shipping from ebay. Unless you have no other choice I wouldn't buy it. I know from Tesla SC you probably get them half the price or less. I saw one guy bought 2 pieces for the rear and he dont have the refresh model. I wonder how he does it.

I saw one just now for $299 with $80 shipping from ebay. Unless you have no other choice I wouldn't buy it. I know from Tesla SC you probably get them half the price or less. I saw one guy bought 2 pieces for the rear and he dont have the refresh model. I wonder how he does it.
Thanks for the reply as always. So we have to use Valance from Refresh version? Old one can’t be modified to work with Refresh bumper?

Also can you please confirm if it looks like the one I shared in my previous post?