Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Subsite Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charge calculator

upload_2016-5-20_7-25-42.png

Not much flexibility in that calculator. I'd be nice if you could modify the COUNTRY_PARAM (without a debugger) which defines the assumptions. However, it is interesting to see the detailed parameters for each type of charger:

Code:
    var CHARGERS = {
        48: {
            efficiency:     0.87,
            chargeRate:     10.03,      // kWh per hr
            image:          IMAGES[MODEL]["wall"]
        },
        72: {
            efficiency:     0.87,
            chargeRate:     15.11,      // kWh per hr
            image:          IMAGES[MODEL]["wall"]
        },
        super: {
            efficiency:     0.93,
            chargeRate1:    114.1,
            chargeRate2:    50.4,
            dropoff:        150,        // dropoff distance in miles
            image:          IMAGES[MODEL]["super"]
        }
    };
    var COUNTRY_PARAMS = {
        us: {
            cost:           0.12,                       // average $ per kwh
            gas:            2.90,                       // average $ per gallon
            efficiency:     20,                         // average gas vehicle efficiency
            commute:        COMMUTE["imp"],             // imperial units max commute
            consumption:    CONSUMPTION[MODEL]["imp"],  // energy consumption
        }
    };

• Informative
Reactions: ModelS8794
This also shows 100% efficiency in the charger. I'm assuming there is some loss to heat and other factors.
Energy Cost divided by $.12 is almost exactly equal to the Voltage multiplied by Amps multiplied by the Time of charge
The code posted above suggests they are showing 87% efficiency for wall charging and 93% efficiency for Supercharging. If the math doesn't work out that way, maybe they forgot to multiply by that factor.

This also shows 100% efficiency in the charger. I'm assuming there is some loss to heat and other factors.
Energy Cost divided by $.12 is almost exactly equal to the Voltage multiplied by Amps multiplied by the Time of charge

Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't the power the charger consumes equal to the Voltage times the Amperage times the Time?

Efficiency would come out of the other end - how many usable kWh the car got from that charging time - or as the EPA does it, how many miles the car could drive on that many kWh of wall power.

Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't the power the charger consumes equal to the Voltage times the Amperage times the Time?

Efficiency would come out of the other end - how many usable kWh the car got from that charging time - or as the EPA does it, how many miles the car could drive on that many kWh of wall power.
Nope, you are correct. This is why the Wh/Mile at 100% efficiency comes out to about 385 instead of 340.