Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Towing a Boat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds rather high for a boat of that size, and looking at the way it's sitting on the trailer I'd expect it to be much less than that. I have a 23 footer and can easily lift the tongue up, though admittedly mine should have more tongue weight than it does.

Actually, I'd consider 450# approaching dangerously light for a 4850# trailer. It should be 10-15% of the total trailer weight. Too light, and the trailer is prone to sway.

I don't believe Tesla publishes a tongue-weight limit, but remember that the tongue weight you do have comes out of the GVWR as payload (on any car).

I never subscribed to the 10-15% of total weight figure, especially with multi axle trailers, (and I've worked in the recreational marine industry for over 25 years). It depends on the specific vehicle/trailer/load combination but with most setups I've found you can tow just fine with closer to 5% of total weight.

Here is the Trailer Weight and Tongue Weight ratings for the X:

2015-12-26 11.15.21.jpg

I have had questions about autopilot and towing. Here is the manual page on that topic the answers the questions pretty clearly.

That first paragraph seems silly. If the car knows you have connected a trailer (or disconnected), why doesn't it automatically enter/exit trailer mode with requiring you to do it? Later on it says the car does just that when detecting a heavy load without an electrical connection.

That first paragraph seems silly. If the car knows you have connected a trailer (or disconnected), why doesn't it automatically enter/exit trailer mode with requiring you to do it? Later on it says the car does just that when detecting a heavy load without an electrical connection.

Sounds like it will detect it two ways: electrical connection, or a heavy load; the latter being a safeguard in case someone doesn't make an electrical connection.

Requiring you to do it on the electrical side is worthwhile as the driver is acknowledging that a variety of features are now disabled.

Sounds like it will detect it two ways: electrical connection, or a heavy load; the latter being a safeguard in case someone doesn't make an electrical connection.

Requiring you to do it on the electrical side is worthwhile as the driver is acknowledging that a variety of features are now disabled.

The car notifies the driver in either case. When it goes into trailer mode it is a notice; when the electrical connection is made the notice asks the driver to enter trailer mode. Silly