Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Towing Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any real experience towing something substantial with the Model X? I am considering purchasing one and before I do I want to better understand the towing situation. I have been trying to get information but not very successfully. I talked to someone at Tesla who actually said he heard that going uphill towing 5,000 lbs you would only have an 80 mile range. I would like to hear from those with any real experience. Thank you.

Does anyone have any real experience towing something substantial with the Model X? I am considering purchasing one and before I do I want to better understand the towing situation. I have been trying to get information but not very successfully. I talked to someone at Tesla who actually said he heard that going uphill towing 5,000 lbs you would only have an 80 mile range. I would like to hear from those with any real experience. Thank you.

Great video on towing from a trailer company here:

Reactions: ecrsail
To summarize the message of the video that @EV-lutioin linked to above, when towing a Bowlus Road Chief with an X90D, @jackbowers got 70% of the EPA range at 50 to 55 mph. He did not specify the types of roads used for his testing. Note that the Bowlus is probably the most aerodynamically sleek camper trailer available: fully rounded front end, long tapered rear, nothing protruding from the trailer except rivets, fairings over the wheels. It’s really quite an amazing trailer.

There is a longer thread about energy use while towing at Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis