Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Trailer Hitch Ratings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He acknowledged that the forces are significantly different, and said he understood my point, but that this is how they advise with all hitches.

I pointed out the difference in moments (both from the downward force and the side to side forces) and he concurred, but again asserted that this is considered by manufacturers. I
Thanks. Interesting. Apparently Draw-Title products operate outside the parameters of the physical universe that I am familiar with. ;)

I had a similar exchange with eTrailer. I asked a question through their official avenue, seen here. I clarified my question in email to the rep and he insisted that Draw-Tite tests their hitch for both uses and the capacity is 750 lbs, or the limit of the vehicle (500 lbs in our case). He acknowledged that the forces are significantly different, and said he understood my point, but that this is how they advise with all hitches.

I pointed out the difference in moments (both from the downward force and the side to side forces) and he concurred, but again asserted that this is considered by manufacturers. I guess Bosal is the exception.
A loaded four bike rack would exceed the 120lb limit on 100s of vehicles across all brands every day. Bikes 25-35 lbs each (ie. times 4) + bike rack 35-50 lbs.

m9we2Or.jpg

A loaded four bike rack would exceed the 120lb limit on 100s of vehicles across all brands every day. Bikes 25-35 lbs each (ie. times 4) + bike rack 35-50 lbs.

m9we2Or.jpg
I understand. It's possible that the Bosal has the restrictions merely because of the removable receiver portion, which deformed on me while towing. It may be more susceptible to the added torque.

Reactions: Felickz and ecarfan
Just bought a used 2017 X.
Would you recommend a different hitch than the one Tesla installs? If so, does that void any warranty?
It depends on what your use case is. This particular thread is about mounting something like a bike rack or wheelchair carrier on the hitch and the discussion has revolved around the factory Bosal hitch rating of 120lbs max for that application, with some posts about how the aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch can support much more weight according to the manufacturer.

What do you plan to connect to the hitch?

Replacing the Bosal with a different hitch should not effect the Tesla vehicle warranty assuming it is mounted properly.

It depends on what your use case is. This particular thread is about mounting something like a bike rack or wheelchair carrier on the hitch and the discussion has revolved around the factory Bosal hitch rating of 120lbs max for that application, with some posts about how the aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch can support much more weight according to the manufacturer.

What do you plan to connect to the hitch?

Replacing the Bosal with a different hitch should not effect the Tesla vehicle warranty assuming it is mounted properly.
There currently isn't a hitch on it yet.
I want the one with the most capacity. Let's put it that way.

Old thead, I know. I’m wondering if anyone has actually overloaded the factory removable hitch, with hitch weight. I just figured all this stuff out, but I have a 4 bike rack, and I have used it many times on my MX, with ebikes and far more than 120#. I’d love to know what it actually takes to overload it. I was hoping to put a motorbike rack on the back and move around a 260# bike. I don’t think I’ll do that now. But maybe the factory limit is very conservative?

Old thead, I know. I’m wondering if anyone has actually overloaded the factory removable hitch, with hitch weight. I just figured all this stuff out, but I have a 4 bike rack, and I have used it many times on my MX, with ebikes and far more than 120#. I’d love to know what it actually takes to overload it. I was hoping to put a motorbike rack on the back and move around a 260# bike. I don’t think I’ll do that now. But maybe the factory limit is very conservative?
Sorry, I'm confused by your post. What are you asking? Has anyone overloaded it and broke it or potentially caused an accident while stuff fell off while driving down the road? I suspect it will bend before it breaks. I actually had an issue on a custom camper hitch once where it bent down some and had to get it reinforced.

I have a 4 bike rack, and I have used it many times on my MX, with ebikes and far more than 120#. I’d love to know what it actually takes to overload it.
I do not think it is as simple as “the hitch will definitely fail with X lbs loaded on it and not fail with X-5lbs”. Think about the force applied on the hitch, with bike rack attached and heavily loaded, as the car is traveling at speed and hits a speed bump or a big pothole as compared to the same speed on a smooth road surface. Very different. So do you want to load it up well past the manufacturers recommendation and hope for the best with thousands of dollars worth of your bikes on it and determine what the failure point is?

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I do not think it is as simple as “the hitch will definitely fail with X lbs loaded on it and not fail with X-5lbs”. Think about the force applied on the hitch, with bike rack attached and heavily loaded, as the car is traveling at speed and hits a speed bump or a big pothole as compared to the same speed on a smooth road surface. Very different. So do you want to load it up well past the manufacturers recommendation and hope for the best with thousands of dollars worth of your bikes on it and determine what the failure point is?
Question to you: looking through this thread, I see you've done your homework and lots of research and investigation. Did you actually end up doing an aftermarket hitch receiver (if so, which one did you go with?)? Are you using it for carrying your e-bikes or are you still wading through to find out whether or not it will work for you? Which rack did you go with?

Question to you: looking through this thread, I see you've done your homework and lots of research and investigation. Did you actually end up doing an aftermarket hitch receiver (if so, which one did you go with?)? Are you using it for carrying your e-bikes or are you still wading through to find out whether or not it will work for you? Which rack did you go with?
I bought the Ecohitch Stealth hitch for my Model 3 and the Thule EasyFold XT bike rack which can hold up to 130 lbs. The rack weighs 45 lbs. I have two ebikes that are about 44 lbs each, so within the limits of the rack and the hitch.

I do not use my Thule bike rack on my Model X with the factory hitch because it is not rated for that kind of vertical load. And I do not tow my 2,200 lb (when fully loaded) Safari Condo Alto trailer with my Model 3 because it is not rated for that weight.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
You will find threads on weight distribution hitches causing problems with the factory removable bosal hitch. Who wants to sacrifice an X with Draw Tite to see how much vertical weight it will take to break the hitch or mounting points on the frame??