Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X trunk latch issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to re-calibrate or reset the trunk on the MX? For the past 2 months the trunk will not close all the way when you press the button on the back or use the fob. It will close most of the way and you can hear the motor running to pull the door into the seal but the trunk but it just sits there. If you pull up on the back end it has latched but still has movement and the center screen says it is still open. Kind of like on an ICE car where you can gently close a door to engage the latch but not push in all the way.

Anyway for it to fully close I need to manually pull the trunk down from full open to make sure it closes completely which it doesn't seem to like, kind of resists me as I push it. Each time I go to put in a call to the service center it starts working via the button again. Then a week or so later it stops again. Is there anything I can do/try on my own to remedy this before I do take it in to the service center? The service center is over 100 miles from me so its not the most convenient to take in for a smaller issue like this.

Is there a way to re-calibrate or reset the trunk on the MX? For the past 2 months the trunk will not close all the way when you press the button on the back or use the fob. It will close most of the way and you can hear the motor running to pull the door into the seal but the trunk but it just sits there. If you pull up on the back end it has latched but still has movement and the center screen says it is still open. Kind of like on an ICE car where you can gently close a door to engage the latch but not push in all the way.

Anyway for it to fully close I need to manually pull the trunk down from full open to make sure it closes completely which it doesn't seem to like, kind of resists me as I push it. Each time I go to put in a call to the service center it starts working via the button again. Then a week or so later it stops again. Is there anything I can do/try on my own to remedy this before I do take it in to the service center? The service center is over 100 miles from me so its not the most convenient to take in for a smaller issue like this.
I had a similar problem with my X and Tesla Service told me how to adjust the closing with the two large black "bumpers" on either side of the lift gate. You probably need to turn one or both of them counter-clockwise a turn or so to allow the lift gate to fully close.

Reactions: vandacca
I had a similar problem with my X and Tesla Service told me how to adjust the closing with the two large black "bumpers" on either side of the lift gate. You probably need to turn one or both of them counter-clockwise a turn or so to allow the lift gate to fully close.

Another thing to check is whether the wiring "hose" at the top gets in the way (it, or the gaskets around it might look slightly deformed/bent if it does) and try to adjust/reposition it.

Had this issue for a brief time and adjusting the "bumpers" did not solve it. Worked itself out after a while - service tech confirmed it during a visit after it stopped - he was sure it was the "wiring hose" jamming things up just by eyeballing it. It got permanently deformed/reshaped and now no longer gets in the way. They left it as is.

Reactions: boelkers