Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Model S 17" screen

Which screen layout do you prefer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope that there is an ambient light sensor

That would be really nice.

My laptop has that for the screen/back lit keyboard and my laptop is a $1k of the shelf laptop. The model S has automatic windshield wipers, when rain hit the windshield they turn on (http://youtu.be/7TF0gGnBqF0?t=1m14s).

An ambient light sensor is probably a very inexpensive part. I'd be surprised if it wasn't on there.

Last edited:
I am a shareholder, fan and hopefully future owner of the model S, but i really have difficulties with the Model-S beta design.

I feel much better with either the old alpha design or the floating Model X design.

Taken the innovative approach of all Tesla cars the model X design would fit and show set the design path for some years to come. So I hope the model X design will make it back into the model S. This excellent Model-S car is worth to have a dash which will not be a burden, the model-X dash can be the timing and logistic wise feasible solution to a big problem, and it offers a common Tesla brand design. I hope TM goes that way.

If they go with the floating X design in my S, I'll likely make a request that my contract has a voucher to get it upgraded for free to sane when they come back to their senses in the 1.5 or 2.0 S. I'll probably also get some documentation from my insurance company related to theft concerns because it would likely be stolen.

Screen development

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Tesla-Model-S-Touch-Screen-Center-Console-Prototype/733996

ef6cd037c118b91e387174817cd09312.jpg
e4049b45d2eb1eb6950219b02170031e.jpg
d2312e36cc6f08ecc61d3d8adfd68ef8.jpg

Regarding the original question of this thread. I prefer an integrated screen like in the Model S, but I don't like the (silver) raised bezel. My understanding is at some point they were using IR for the touch screen (similar to what is used on the Kindle Touch e-reader). That technology pretty much requires a raised bezel. Now that Tesla is using a capacitive touchscreen, they should be able to use a monolithic piece of glass, like on the face of the iPad and as seen in the Model X.

So I'd like a flush, no raised bezel, glass screen as seen in the Model X, but more integrated into the dash like in the Model S.

I am an S reservation holder who is also seriously considering an X. Sorry to say that unless it is a lot better "in person," the current display on the X would probably keep me from buying. In the pix I see, it looks like a (bad, cheap) after-market add-on.