TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X vs Model S 17" screen

Discussion in 'Model X' started by AnOutsider, Feb 19, 2012.

Tags:
?

Which screen layout do you prefer?

1. Model S (inset)

52.8%
  2. Model X (floating)

31.5%
  3. Don't care/Undecided

15.7%
  1. de704

de704 XP268

#21 de704, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    That would be really nice.

My laptop has that for the screen/back lit keyboard and my laptop is a $1k of the shelf laptop. The model S has automatic windshield wipers, when rain hit the windshield they turn on (http://youtu.be/7TF0gGnBqF0?t=1m14s).

An ambient light sensor is probably a very inexpensive part. I'd be surprised if it wasn't on there.

2. Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz Member

I am a shareholder, fan and hopefully future owner of the model S, but i really have difficulties with the Model-S beta design.

I feel much better with either the old alpha design or the floating Model X design.

Taken the innovative approach of all Tesla cars the model X design would fit and show set the design path for some years to come. So I hope the model X design will make it back into the model S. This excellent Model-S car is worth to have a dash which will not be a burden, the model-X dash can be the timing and logistic wise feasible solution to a big problem, and it offers a common Tesla brand design. I hope TM goes that way.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

@Karl-Heinz: Have you sat in a Model S yet? Pictures are only half-good at conveying the feel. I'm still not an enthusiast about the interior, but after having sat it two different models, I've at least come around to viewing the interior as "not a negative."

4. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

I'm going with the inset model s screen. For some reason I feel like the Model x screen looks like a aftermarket job.

5. heems

heems Member

+1

I sat in the beta and the screen is much more integrated than the pictures convey...

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If they go with the floating X design in my S, I'll likely make a request that my contract has a voucher to get it upgraded for free to sane when they come back to their senses in the 1.5 or 2.0 S. I'll probably also get some documentation from my insurance company related to theft concerns because it would likely be stolen.

7. Local host

Local host Member

Me too. I think I have changed my mind and am starting to prefer it to the S.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Heh, I remember the old black with red highlighted buttons versions. Not at all a fan of the "floating objects" version. I think Tesla got it right in the end.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Regarding the original question of this thread. I prefer an integrated screen like in the Model S, but I don't like the (silver) raised bezel. My understanding is at some point they were using IR for the touch screen (similar to what is used on the Kindle Touch e-reader). That technology pretty much requires a raised bezel. Now that Tesla is using a capacitive touchscreen, they should be able to use a monolithic piece of glass, like on the face of the iPad and as seen in the Model X.

So I'd like a flush, no raised bezel, glass screen as seen in the Model X, but more integrated into the dash like in the Model S.

12. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I am an S reservation holder who is also seriously considering an X. Sorry to say that unless it is a lot better "in person," the current display on the X would probably keep me from buying. In the pix I see, it looks like a (bad, cheap) after-market add-on.