Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X windshield insulation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked this as a response in some other threads but it seems worth asking in a thread of its own.

I've noticed (and my wife even more so, since I run hot and she runs cold) in cars with a moon roof that when it's cold outside and the moonroof cover is slid open to expose the glass, the loss of insulation is very noticible, cold air drops down from the moon roof continuously and the car is noticeably colder.

Anyone with an X in a cold climate able to speak to their experiences with this?

Peter+

I asked this as a response in some other threads but it seems worth asking in a thread of its own.

I've noticed (and my wife even more so, since I run hot and she runs cold) in cars with a moon roof that when it's cold outside and the moonroof cover is slid open to expose the glass, the loss of insulation is very noticible, cold air drops down from the moon roof continuously and the car is noticeably colder.

Anyone with an X in a cold climate able to speak to their experiences with this?

Peter+

I recall that Bjorn Nyland (he makes a bunch of YouTube videos) used speaker foam to insulate the panoramic roof.

Interesting, as it gets (is today) very cold here. While not addressing the huge window cold sink, I think it's worth mentioning that the heated seats and steering wheel (if she's driving), give us humans the perception that we're warm without the need to heat the cabin air, at least not as much. That's more important in an EV which doesn't turn 85% of its "fuel" into excess wasted heat, like an ice pwrd car does. "Free" Hot cabin air - the only good thing remaining about an ice car (!?)

Interesting, as it gets (is today) very cold here. While not addressing the huge window cold sink, I think it's worth mentioning that the heated seats and steering wheel (if she's driving), give us humans the perception that we're warm without the need to heat the cabin air, at least not as much. That's more important in an EV which doesn't turn 85% of its "fuel" into excess wasted heat, like an ice pwrd car does. "Free" Hot cabin air - the only good thing remaining about an ice car (!?)

My wife is strictly a passenger, so the heated steering wheel does no good (heated seats are a winner though). She lost most of her vision while we were in college and is therefore not able to drive.

Peter+

Peter+

I've only driven my X during two cold, windy and snowy Reno days, but so far it appears to be more cozy than my P85D. The Model X has better seals, so it's less drafty in high winds, and there is no noticeable heat loss through the windshield (I suspect there is a reflective IR block in the windshield like the Model S has). The only weather-related downside that I've noticed is the Model X is taller and thus gets blown around quite a bit more in high winds.

I've only driven my X during two cold, windy and snowy Reno days, but so far it appears to be more cozy than my P85D. The Model X has better seals, so it's less drafty in high winds, and there is no noticeable heat loss through the windshield (I suspect there is a reflective IR block in the windshield like the Model S has). The only weather-related downside that I've noticed is the Model X is taller and thus gets blown around quite a bit more in high winds.

Thanks Jack! That's very helpful and encouraging. My nightmare scenario is that I get this car and my wife hates it.

My secondary nightmare scenario is I die and she sells it for what I told her I paid for it! ;-)

Peter+