Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2023 Model - Slow leak - TESLA service estimate $400+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y 2023 model seems to have a slow tire leak. Drops about 8 to 10 PSI over the course of a month. Opened a TESLA service request and their first option is to replace the tire estimating $400+
Do anyone know if I approve the estimate and take the car to the shop, will they honestly first check to see if the leak can be plugged? Or should I not risk it and just take it to a local tire shop to fix the leak?
Thanks for your suggestions.

Telsa service center probably replaces always instead of patching/plugging.
If your tires have some wear, you may need more than 1 new tire so could get even more expensive.

You can try soapy water at home to see if you can spot any bubbling at the leak source, maybe a nail or screw type problem as that is what commonly is the issue when you have a slow leak. identifying the source of the leak and then the location of such a problem can determine if the tire can be repaired or needs to be replaced. Anything on the sidewall is instant replacement ; something on the tread may be ok to repair.

Some drives 10's of thousands of miles on a plugged or patched tire with never any issues but I imagine there is some level or risk involved ; even if tiny. Would always feel like I would have to watch over my PSI readings more carefully if I knew a tire had been repaired instead of replaced.

If you know you want a repair not a replace.
I think a local mechanic shop / any place would be better for this than a national tire brand company or car dealer. A major brand will be concerned with sending you on your way so I imagine opts for replacement over repair to cover their own liability concerns.

For new tires I am certain Costco or Discount Tire will be less expensive than Telsa and they have changed thousands of Telsa tires at this point.

My Model Y 2023 model seems to have a slow tire leak. Drops about 8 to 10 PSI over the course of a month. Opened a TESLA service request and their first option is to replace the tire estimating $400+
Do anyone know if I approve the estimate and take the car to the shop, will they honestly first check to see if the leak can be plugged? Or should I not risk it and just take it to a local tire shop to fix the leak?
If there is a Discount Tire near by, bring it in for a free tire inspection and flat repair if needed. We would love to get you taken care of.

Reactions: Mwolfe
Telsa service center probably replaces always instead of patching/plugging.
If your tires have some wear, you may need more than 1 new tire so could get even more expensive.

You can try soapy water at home to see if you can spot any bubbling at the leak source, maybe a nail or screw type problem as that is what commonly is the issue when you have a slow leak. identifying the source of the leak and then the location of such a problem can determine if the tire can be repaired or needs to be replaced. Anything on the sidewall is instant replacement ; something on the tread may be ok to repair.

Some drives 10's of thousands of miles on a plugged or patched tire with never any issues but I imagine there is some level or risk involved ; even if tiny. Would always feel like I would have to watch over my PSI readings more carefully if I knew a tire had been repaired instead of replaced.

If you know you want a repair not a replace.
I think a local mechanic shop / any place would be better for this than a national tire brand company or car dealer. A major brand will be concerned with sending you on your way so I imagine opts for replacement over repair to cover their own liability concerns.

For new tires I am certain Costco or Discount Tire will be less expensive than Telsa and they have changed thousands of Telsa tires at this point.
Thank you for suggestions

First, have you looked at it closely to see if you can find a nail, or a tire defect? Even the valve core could be leaking. (Soapy water can help find leaks.)

Long ago (1973) I had a new Opel GT with slow leaks in at least two tires. Found out it was actually leaking through the metal castings, but Opel sure wasn't any help finding the issue.

First, have you looked at it closely to see if you can find a nail, or a tire defect? Even the valve core could be leaking. (Soapy water can help find leaks.)

Long ago (1973) I had a new Opel GT with slow leaks in at least two tires. Found out it was actually leaking through the metal castings, but Opel sure wasn't any help finding the issue.

Spray some soapy water to the tire and the valve stem to see if there is any leak.

I’ve had numerous flats in 8+ years (downside to new home construction in my neighborhood) of owning Teslas and in each case ranger or Tesla Sevice center always checked to see if repairable (and patched to fix).

Reactions: wtlloyd