Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y acceleration pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my new Tesla standard model Y on the freeway first time today for a 30 miles trip. I had to press the pedal too hard to maintain the speed 60-65 mph. It was very difficult for me to do so and left me very tired.
Is there any setting I can change to make it comfortable to drive?
How about using cruise control?

Upvote 0
I drove my new Tesla standard model Y on the freeway first time today for a 30 miles trip. I had to press the pedal too hard to maintain the speed 60-65 mph. It was very difficult for me to do so and left me very tired.
With the information provided and without Knowing if you have underlying medical issues that would leave you too weak to do such a simple task, you may want to seek a medical diagnosis as long as there is nothing behind the pedal (floor mat) preventing free movement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

No, there is no setting to make the pedal softer. You can try chill mode, but that will just make the car accelerate less for a given push of the accelerator.

This is probably because you drive regular ICE vehicles by "pulsing" the accelerator pedal (puuuussshhhhh ... .relax and coast.........ppuuuuusssshhhhh...... relax and coast). You may not even realize you do this, but I would bet that this is how you drove your other car. In a vehicle with regen braking, there is no "coast", by removing your foot from the accelerator pedal completely.

When people drive by pulsing the pedal, they get disoriented by driving an EV at first. Most get used to it, a few dont. Give yourself time to get used to it. I suggest you try to get used to it before you start trying to get around it by using cruise control (autopilot) because you are going to need to know how to control the accelerator pedal in the vehicle, and better to learn that now.... or figure out you dont want to / cant, and make other arrangements.

Upvote 0
I think you might actually be in Chill mode, or some other setting that limits acceleration, because it shouldn't require that much on the accelerator to maintain cruising speed on a flat highway. Go in the settings, pedals and steering section (?) and make sure your acceleration is set to normal and not chill.

Upvote 0
Or maybe cruise is on and you've reached your min follow distance from the vehicle in front of you. When I first drove my M3, I couldn't figure out why sometimes stepping on the gas wouldn't do anything. It was tiring flooring the pedal for long periods and not getting any closer to the vehicle in front

Reactions: chobra and Olle
Upvote 0
OP probably a troll

I realize that we do get a lot of new posters here that post things that sometimes look suspicious. I fully see and acknowledge that. With that being said, not every new poster is trying to stir up stuff. I have a pretty good feeling for that type of thing. Im going to single out a post where its fairly obvious that the objective isnt discussion, its "stir stuff up":

I am not pointing this out from a perspective of moderation, but with that being said, I probably shouldnt do it anyway. With that being said, the above thread creation and first post is very obviously (to me at least) someone who was posting to "stir stuff up". Pick a controversial topic, USE CAPS in the thread title and IN THE BODY OF THE POST to DRAW ATTENTION, express extreme INDIGNATION, Insult people who feel differently (bonus points for use of the word "cult").

Contrast that with this first post, where, at least to me, it appears that a person could just be confused about regen braking and why the car slows down when they take their foot off the pedal. That "puuuuusssshhhhh......relax and coast" thing is real. My wife drove that way for her entire driving life.

She only noticed it when she was driving my model 3, which she didnt like driving when I got it in 2018 but didnt understand why. I didnt even realize she drove her BMWs over the years that way except subconsciously. I started paying attention the few times she was driving her X3 and I was riding in it, and realized what was happening. I told her, but she really couldnt do anything about it (nor was she really interested in doing so). That is, until she decided she wanted a model Y instead of the X3. We discussed this very thing, and she said she would get used to it.

It took her about a week or so to be able to drive her model Y smoothly, but she drives it fine now. She never complained about it (probably because we discussed this exact thing before I started the process of selling her X3 and ordering the model Y once she was sure she wanted it), but I know it was an adjustment period.

Just like every post on "Im not getting my range" is "stirring stuff up" (but some of them definitely are), I dont feel this post is that.

TL ; DR -- This doesnt feel like that to me, so I am defending the OP here some, even though I fully acknowledge there are plenty of people who join TMC to do that. This doesnt feel like that to me.

Upvote 0
Just find it an crazy(unless a medical issue), hence the doubt and they never posted again after....
On a sidenote.... new Riverside service center opening soon :)

Im in temecula, and last year they opened a SC about a mile and half from my house. I used to have to drive to Carlsbad. They are pretty nice at this one, too.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Upvote 0
I think you might actually be in Chill mode, or some other setting that limits acceleration, because it shouldn't require that much on the accelerator to maintain cruising speed on a flat highway. Go in the settings, pedals and steering section (?) and make sure your acceleration is set to normal and not chill.
Thanks. I will check. As I recall, it was in normal mode. This is my first ev and I have no problem in the city.
As far as driving, I have no problem driving my other car long distance upto a few hundred miles.

Upvote 0