Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could not shift into drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today while in Park, I pressed the brake and pushed the stalk down to Drive. I received an error DI_a189 “Cannot shift gears - Accelerator pedal is pressed.” I looked down and confirmed that my foot was firmly on the brake (and only the brake). Tried again with the same error. Then tried pushing the accelerator in and out a few times in case there was mechanical sticking. Repeated this whole process several times before it finally shifted. Took about 30 seconds.

I initiated a service appointment asking Tesla service to check my car logs (I assume they can do remotely) and let me know what happened. While I wait to hear back, anyone here experience this or know what the issue likely is?

Today while in Park, I pressed the brake and pushed the stalk down to Drive. I received an error DI_a189 “Cannot shift gears - Accelerator pedal is pressed.” I looked down and confirmed that my foot was firmly on the brake (and only the brake). Tried again with the same error. Then tried pushing the accelerator in and out a few times in case there was mechanical sticking. Repeated this whole process several times before it finally shifted. Took about 30 seconds.

I initiated a service appointment asking Tesla service to check my car logs (I assume they can do remotely) and let me know what happened. While I wait to hear back, anyone here experience this or know what the issue likely is?
That is troubling! There has been no proof/log like yours that proves that although you're applying the brake correctly but it still says that you're misapplying on the accelerator pedal instead.

That is troubling! There has been no proof/log like yours that proves that although you're applying the brake correctly but it still says that you're misapplying on the accelerator pedal instead.
Yeah, my understanding is all of the unintended acceleration events have been found to be pedal misapplication. Can happen to the best of us in a panic situation. In this case, my car was in park and didn’t move, obviously. I repeated the shift-out-of-park process multiple times, with plenty of time to trouble-shoot and verify by looking at my foot each time as I pressed the brake.

I went into service mode this morning to see if there are any hidden alerts, nothing shows up. I’ll update if/when Tesla responds.

It just says accelerator pressed.
It would only be a problem if they were trying to put _into_ Park and it refused because it detected accelerator and ignored brake input and speed.

It just says accelerator pressed.
It would only be a problem if they were trying to put _into_ Park and it refused because it detected accelerator and ignored brake input and speed.
The alarming issue is the inaccuracy of the car log/error message/system's record...

"Accelerator pedal is pressed” error message is inaccurate when the accelerator is not pressed.

Humans can lie, but machines cannot lie. It can only faithfully reports what it sees.

I just had this problem today. I tried to put the my model y in drive while pressing the brake. I got the accelerator pressed message. Took my foot off the brake and repeated with the same result. Next, I put the car in reverse briefly and was able to shift into drive from there.

It's disturbing that the car thinks the accelerator was pressed when it was not. Have you received any response?

After I initiated a service appointment, the service center asked me to bring my car in to inspect in person. They were pretty responsive. They wrote “replace accelerator pedal” in the work order, and through messaging they confirmed that was probably not the issue and simply wrote that as a placeholder.

While waiting for the appointment, which was a few weeks out, I got busy and didn’t have much time to bring it in. Also, it had not happened again. So I canceled due to the inconvenience of having to visit and the hope that it was a one-off occurrence. Of course, a few days later it happened again. Both times were the same pattern: I parked, let out a front seat passenger, opened the trunk, closed the trunk, got back in, pressed the brake pedal, and tried to put it in drive. I’ve intentionally recreated the pattern a few times since but could not get the problem to occur on demand. I may initiate another service request, but I suspect it is software and I don’t think the service center will find anything. I may set up another service appt if convenient.

After I initiated a service appointment, the service center asked me to bring my car in to inspect in person. They were pretty responsive. They wrote “replace accelerator pedal” in the work order, and through messaging they confirmed that was probably not the issue and simply wrote that as a placeholder.

While waiting for the appointment, which was a few weeks out, I got busy and didn’t have much time to bring it in. Also, it had not happened again. So I canceled due to the inconvenience of having to visit and the hope that it was a one-off occurrence. Of course, a few days later it happened again. Both times were the same pattern: I parked, let out a front seat passenger, opened the trunk, closed the trunk, got back in, pressed the brake pedal, and tried to put it in drive. I’ve intentionally recreated the pattern a few times since but could not get the problem to occur on demand. I may initiate another service request, but I suspect it is software and I don’t think the service center will find anything. I may set up another service appt if convenient.
These are the worst types of things to diagnose.... It used to be an electrical issue, now it's SW. But the logs should certainly help. And they can review them remotely.