Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y any good for light off roading?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own some land in an abandoned strip mine. There are a lot of good fishing spots out there and the roads not not horrible. It’s more than I would take my 3 on, but I’ve taken an 89 Dodge Caravan out there before. Would be Model Y be able to handle some light off roading or is it really nearly equal with the 3?

Sandy Munro claimed he saw Model Y was setup to add air-shocks, so I'd wait for that option.

Perhaps you could mention to your "local Tesla" store/gallery/service center your interest in air-shocks for the Y. Ask them who you might contact. I'd also consider waiting for CyberTruck (perhaps too big ??)

The below web site keeps a list of suggested add-on/feature suggests look for "Desired Features"
Features | TeslaTap
Also a fine source for details about Tesla Models - worth spending some time looking around the site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorak03
i had a headline in my google news feed a few days ago....somebody made & I think was selling an off roading set up for the Y. I think it was in Europe someplace..maybe Norway? The cover photo had what looked to be a bit more aggressive tires, & I believe it was a lift kit...raised the body something like a couple inches. I'd call it more of a winter kit......Wasn't much to it really, but a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: Zorak03
So to be clear, are we talking about gravel roads with the inevitable washboards and minor potholes or actual off road?

these are the roads, not too bad just mainly rough stone with some deeper potholes/mud holes.
CD4C8351-2CCB-44B6-BA5F-C9261C059E35.jpeg
1EC55276-BA4C-482F-9A95-CE19634F35A6.jpeg

1.75" lift kit so far from Mountain Pass Performance, aggressive oversized tires will possibly get you decent clearance but you will take a range hit if you are doing that as a permanent setup. On stock height...eh, okay for unpaved roads but nothing like raw land.