Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Auto Dimming Side Mirrors - Backwards compatible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the Side View Auto Dimming Mirrors on the lates Model Y builds are backwards compatible with Model Y's built prior to their introduction?

My Vin is 62XXX and just missed their introduction by less than 500 on the vin count.
I have emailed my local service center, but not getting any response.

So I figured I would ask if anyone on this forum has any info?

Does anyone know if the Side View Auto Dimming Mirrors on the lates Model Y builds are backwards compatible with Model Y's built prior to their introduction?

My Vin is 62XXX and just missed their introduction by less than 500 on the vin count.

yeah I’m curious too. Love to have Tesla offer a retrofit if the wiring is there. How are we to know?

Auto dimming mirrors rolled out at about VIN 72500. I think the Suma Performance mirrors are a pretty cool upgrade for those of use that didn't get auto dim mirrors.

I think there are 2 sets of wires one needs.

1, and the most important I believe, is the extra wire(s) in the door wiring harness. This we can determine by taking our door panels off to look. If it doesn't include the plug(s), then either we would have to get a new door wiring harness that included the plugs, and of course hope the larger wiring harness also includes the wiring.

2. the wiring within the side mirror. I don't consider this as important, as you would most likely need to buy the new auto-dimming side mirror as a complete unit, which would have the wiring, and you would plug into the door wiring harness. I had to have my drivers side mirror replaced due to it having some major distortions in it, and the SC indicated they replace the entire side mirror and not just the glass.

In my initial googling, right when the auto-dim mirrors got released, I founds some pics on ebay of model 3 door wiring harnesses which show the auto-dim plug along side the normal mirror plug. I also watched DAERIKs video when they first got their Silver model Y and they took the door panel of, I did not see the extra plug in that video for auto-dimming.

Reactions: Durzel
Well, a few months passed and that means wrecked Model Y's are appearing post-OCT 2020 builds, hence dimmed mirrors are appearing for parts, Looked around and it appears both the Heated and the Dimming are sharing the same connector harness, per actual part and connector pin #'s, I know on the parts catalog there's a different image diagram, I picked up an assembly with the new part # and mirror. My guess will prob function mechanically, but I gave it a 50/50 the dimming works, especially if they have to tell the computer to do the action. Just like the pedestrian speaker, I have the speaker on and it randomly works when you reboot the computer, but the car doesn't know its there as it's not enabled in its config, so the updates "activate" boom box" Ill post results once the part arrives and II get a chance to install.

Attachments

• New par and its plug.jpg
    New par and its plug.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 332
Reactions: TinkyWinks
Sorry for the delays, had a side project to finish, Gen 2 charger power-sharing install and setup, tomorrow will work on this and or Sunday and record a vid, borrowed a camera as well.

Attachments

• gen 2 power share.jpg
    gen 2 power share.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 202
Really looking forward to the results. It is the number 1 feature I miss, even if it isn't perfect, it is better than being blinded by cars behind me.
Well, the good news is parts fit as expected, connector worked, full opening/closing and mirror controls, etc. The bad news is dimming did not activate when I tested it tonight. I suspect it's the same as when I added the pedestrian speaker, connections are there but the computer is not aware and is not providing the command/signals. Dimming in 3/Y is actually done by the computer, not by light sensors( there's a thread about it around here), etc... :( sigh...

Hmmm...that's a bummer, as I was hoping that between the heated steering wheel and auto-dimming side mirrors, I could retrofit to get what I'm finding are very valuable items that I simply took for granted in my previous cars, and now I'm really finding unacceptable. Of course, not all of my previous vehicles had auto-dimming side mirrors, but for some reason, I'm getting blinded in my MY more than I can remember in my previous cars, and I've tried all kinds of ways to adjust the mirrors and I still get blinded. I'm really hoping Tesla opens up these retrofits.

Well, the good news is parts fit as expected, connector worked, full opening/closing and mirror controls, etc. The bad news is dimming did not activate when I tested it tonight. I suspect it's the same as when I added the pedestrian speaker, connections are there but the computer is not aware and is not providing the command/signals. Dimming in 3/Y is actually done by the computer, not by light sensors( there's a thread about it around here), etc... :( sigh...
That is unfortunate, and I appreciate that you attempted it. I wonder if you contacted Tesla service if they will enable it or if they would basically act as if it can't be done.

Well, the good news is parts fit as expected, connector worked, full opening/closing and mirror controls, etc. The bad news is dimming did not activate when I tested it tonight. I suspect it's the same as when I added the pedestrian speaker, connections are there but the computer is not aware and is not providing the command/signals.

Did you check the wiring harness to see if all the wires in the new mirror assembly continued on the other side into the body harness? (Or are some of the positions empty on the car/body side connector?)

Hmmm...that's a bummer, as I was hoping that between the heated steering wheel and auto-dimming side mirrors, I could retrofit to get what I'm finding are very valuable items that I simply took for granted in my previous cars, and now I'm really finding unacceptable. Of course, not all of my previous vehicles had auto-dimming side mirrors, but for some reason, I'm getting blinded in my MY more than I can remember in my previous cars, and I've tried all kinds of ways to adjust the mirrors and I still get blinded. I'm really hoping Tesla opens up these retrofits.
This appears our only option for now: Tesla Model Y
Fun fact, the heated steering wheel is retrofittable as well...;) but alas same issue, no official way to tell the car it has the part.

Did you check the wiring harness to see if all the wires in the new mirror assembly continued on the other side into the body harness? (Or are some of the positions empty on the car/body side connector?)
The harness car side has the connector fully populated, comparing the old and new mirror connector the new one has the added cable pair for the dimming. Hence the issue is the vehicle side, most likely the computer not knowing it's there, the same issue with the pedestrian speaker, all 3 cars mid-2019 with hw3 from factory and all the y's have the harness, but the computer doesn't know if you added it. The fact that a know youtube got Tesla to activate the speaker after he installed the speaker and get boombox, means it easily done if they wanted to but as of today, at the time of this post, no SC will do this and their software tools, do not have the capability, I plaid with the tool. So the solution is to get a couple hundred thousand followers on YT and wait for a POC to come in... and help. :rolleyes:

The harness car side has the connector fully populated, comparing the old and new mirror connector the new one has the added cable pair for the dimming. Hence the issue is the vehicle side, most likely the computer not knowing it's there, the same issue with the pedestrian speaker, all 3 cars mid-2019 with hw3 from factory and all the y's have the harness, but the computer doesn't know if you added it. The fact that a know youtube got Tesla to activate the speaker after he installed the speaker and get boombox, means it easily done if they wanted to but as of today, at the time of this post, no SC will do this and their software tools, do not have the capability, I plaid with the tool. So the solution is to get a couple hundred thousand followers on YT and wait for a POC to come in... and help. :rolleyes:
Just hopping in this thread as this is something I'm interested in doing at some point.

Sadly I'm not surprised that it is an option that has to be added to the car config. This is the same as with the heated steering wheel, PWS, etc. More recently I read about how someone had a rear windscreen replaced and didn't even have a functional demister until Tesla coded it back to the car! Incredible given Tesla don't even supply a Model 3 with no rear demist.

Getting these options coded to the car seems to be the real problem, particularly if it's not an option that is something you can buy OTA (e.g. rear heated seats). I don't suppose Tesla is particularly motivated to enable out-of-band options for specific cars. You'd probably have to get hold of a senior engineer somewhere who can has access to toolkits to do deep adjustments to configuration of your car OTA.