Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y AWD - request for Cargo Box/Hitch suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally new to cargo tow hitch thing. Have a 7 seater. Trying to figure out ways for additional cargo (travel with 3 kids).

I’m totally new to cargo thing (what this entails on driving habits, safety and Y specific things and benefits). Considering I love to go on all weather conditions esp East Coast - what would be the best way out to get more cargo space. I have opted against roof rack. Have factory original Tesla tow hitch (2024 version).

I’d appreciate those in the know to educate and suggest what to buy. (cargo box? Been reading a bit about “tongue weight”)
I have never used - ever - any tow hitch.

PS - I only have number plate on the back. Hopefully that isn’t an issue

Reactions: mick1027
If you can still find it, you can buy a Thule Combi. It only weighs 55lbs and the self supported tongue weight on a Model Y is 160lbs. So you can load 105 lbs of cargo into it. That's like 2-3 full size suitcases worth of stuff for road trips.

You can also buy a Stowaway2 which has a swingaway frame which is nicer, but weighs about 94lbs by itself. You can only load it with about 66lbs of stuff. I own the standard size box version of this. Bought a used version 1 on facebook marketplace for $250. It works really well with no fear of losing yourself. But I do end up overloading it a little. I mostly try to keep just clothing in it and keep the heavier items in the car. Being so heavy at 94lbs, it's a little awkward to move around and install on your car. I bought a cheap furniture dolly to roll it out of the way in my garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Misterbee and AJ..
I also recently considered various options and think the best is made by X-Rack and they have one specially made for the Tesla Model Y.
Its the lightest cargo carrier and only weighs 17.5 pounds - leaving more "tongue weight" to carry actual cargo. It can be detached and stored in the trunk when at the destination. Im looking forward to using it this summer on a road trip. Here's the link below.

Reactions: AJ..
Stowaway with fixed frame is $779, but has a full polycarbonate box. That one is $600 with a fabric box. A bit pricey for a fixed frame either way.
While true the weight eats up the majority of the tongue weight limit of 160 pounds.

The Stowaway Cargo box weighs 53 pounds, the Swingaway frame weighs 46 pounds totaling and taking 99 pounds of the 160 tongue weight leaving 61 pounds for cargo - not much.

The fixed frame option weighs 23 lbs and comes with a warning that it’s limited and may not allow you to open the trunk without an extender. But also uses 76 pounds of the 160 pound tongue weight.

Here’s the warning from Stowaway page.

• NOTE: Fixed frame clearance is limited and a hitch extender may be needed to allow enough space to mount & open the box.

And Stowaway is 999 with the frame - you can’t just buy the box.
The middle option is with a FIXED frame, is $779 with the box as quoted before. $929 for the swingaway frame with box. The box by itself is $629.

There are 2 box sizes, 1 is taller than the other. The X-rack large bag is smaller than either box, so I chose the standard box which weighs 47lbs, and the fixed frame weighs 18lbs which is 65lbs total. 160-65 = 95lbs total carrying weight.

None of that was my point. My point was the pricing of the X-rack is insane given the materials. It's just boxed aluminium channels a big laser cut plate bent and welded on top. It doesn't look like much machining, maybe the end piece, was involved. Paying mostly for the laser, welding and assembly. It doesn't have a swing away mechanism, so it's still in the way when you want to access the trunk. Then you place a bag on top, which feels very unsecure and easily stolen.

The stowaway is more popular, currently seeing several in my area within 100 mil radius for $400 with the swingaway on facebook marketplace. The price is right for a used one, I got mine for $250. The major downside is the weight. But once on the road, it locks and feels secure. I bring it on every roadtrip.

Last edited:
None of that was my point. My point was the pricing of the X-rack is insane given the materials. It's just boxed aluminium channels a big laser cut plate bent and welded on top.
This is basically my point. Harbor freight sells similar lightweight aluminum options for under a hundred bucks. So many companies out there slapping “made for Model Y” on a commodity accessory and selling it for 5x the going rate…

To each their own I guess.

A pretty good review. With the limited tongue weight I think its importance to keep the cargo carrier weight minimized so you can maximize what you carry. 2 suitcases of about 50 pounds each plus some other stuffis helpful, as is storing the cargo carrier away when you get to the destination.

+1 for the Pakmule
20240528_200117.jpg

Reactions: Misterbee
I also recently considered various options and think the best is made by X-Rack and they have one specially made for the Tesla Model Y.
Its the lightest cargo carrier and only weighs 17.5 pounds - leaving more "tongue weight" to carry actual cargo. It can be detached and stored in the trunk when at the destination. Im looking forward to using it this summer on a road trip. Here's the link below.

It's cool to hear you've found a solution with the X-Rack for your Model Y. That's a nifty feature, being lightweight and easy to stow away when you don't need it. More tongue weight for cargo is always a plus.

For those who might be looking at other options, theTESERY Tesla Model Y roof rack is another one to consider. It's got a good balance of weight and utility, and it's designed to work well with the Tesla's lines. Hope your road trip is filled with great times and fewer worries about gear.