Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y blown pyro fuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Associated question, hypothetically if a vehicle was in a small collision, but enough to trigger the pyro fuse, could a prepared person replace the existing pyro fuse for a spare on the spot and be able to move the vehicle to a safe place?

Read/seen several small collisions where people were stranded on the freeway in traffic, and curious if a person had a backup fuse they carried with them, could they at least move their vehicle out of harms way?

Associated question, hypothetically if a vehicle was in a small collision, but enough to trigger the pyro fuse, could a prepared person replace the existing pyro fuse for a spare on the spot and be able to move the vehicle to a safe place?

Read/seen several small collisions where people were stranded on the freeway in traffic, and curious if a person had a backup fuse they carried with them, could they at least move their vehicle out of harms way?
LOL! Here is a video:

Your not serious with this, in this type of scenario, right? I mean, thats like saying "I have seen people with flat tires in freeway traffic, and it should be simple for them to change the tire and then move the car out of harms way" (which if the car is in freeway traffic, they absolutely should not be doing or considering in the slightest).

I could think of other situations where someone might want to change this, and maybe even "on the side of the road" , but "stranded in freeway traffic" is not a place to be working on a car in any way, shape or form other than a towtruck towing you out of the freeway path.

I also did this with mine well i bought it crashed inserted pyro fuse and drove it immediately

Reactions: rotarypower101
I also did this with mine well i bought it crashed inserted pyro fuse and drove it immediately
Interesting to read that.
Its not like we can just run down to any local "EV parts store" and grab a pyro fuse to recover a vehicle if needed.

Its such a fundamental element of the system that can fail on a otherwise safe/sound vehicle and easily be swapped out, I don't think it would be unreasonable to carry a part like that in the current environment.

Having that part and a few specific tools in a small kit could be the difference between a unfortunate bad couple hours and you are on your way, or potentially an entire bad night and Expensive full day of hassles in certain scenarios. Particularly away from help or developed areas.

Admittedly its niche, but for the cost and effort for certain people in certain areas and use cases, it doesn't seem that unreasonable of concept.

Its not like we can just run down to any local "EV parts store" and grab a pyro fuse to recover a vehicle if needed.

Its such a fundamental element of the system that can fail on a otherwise safe/sound vehicle and easily be swapped out, I don't think it would be unreasonable to carry a part like that in the current environment.

Having that part and a few specific tools in a small kit could be the difference between a unfortunate bad couple hours and you are on your way, or potentially an entire bad night and Expensive full day of hassles in certain scenarios. Particularly away from help or developed areas.

Admittedly its niche, but for the cost and effort for certain people in certain areas and use cases, it doesn't seem that unreasonable of concept.
I got mine from ebay for a comparatively cheap price so i bought a second one just in case

in what situation would a pyro fuse blow? How would you diagnose it and be sure you're not causing more damage by installing another one if it is blown?
In my experience, fuses blow to protect components and the system from a fire or short. So the blown fuse is a protective design.

*this is not argumentative. I'm simply asking, this is new to me.

in what situation would a pyro fuse blow? How would you diagnose it and be sure you're not causing more damage by installing another one if it is blown?
In my experience, fuses blow to protect components and the system from a fire or short. So the blown fuse is a protective design.

It blows when you get into an accident.

A "small fender bender" is enough to set off the fuse.

There are a multitude of similar reports of cars completely shutting off from this for little more than a dented trunk/bumper triggering the pyro fuse.

That will cause the vehicle to completely disable the drive, and if not handled correctly will also hold the electric brakes on indefinitely once the LV system depletes requiring even more specialized recovery equipment.

Admittedly it is a niche mode of failure, but one that could avoid a significant hassle and waste of time and resources by knowing a bit about the underlying characteristics and possibly knowing where that part could be sourced quickly if ever needed.

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
I'll give you one more thing.... my model S is a 2016.....ALL the airbags went off and really none of them should have but the deer I hit managed to hit in exactly the right spot....SO..... my main Pyro fuse DID NOT BLOW! What actually blew was the 12v pyro fuse! Nobody..... not the collision centers, nor the tesla service center itself could tell me why the motors would not engage or the car would not allow me to charge the HV battery. Once i figured this out, after months of trying different things, I called back the collision centers that were kind enough to try and help and let them know because they also had been forced to send cars into tesla with no explanation of what they could repair. Didn't call tesla service to tell them because F#*% them.