Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pharaoh83

MYLR MSM - FSD - TOW
Mar 7, 2022
Toronto
Reactions: TrevTremaine
Very interesting. When this tweet first dropped it was assumed Musk was referring to the changes in the suspension that occured late 2021 or early 2022...exact dates seem uncertain as there was no announcement...just people comparing older cars to the latest ones.

Now it seems this is a totally new change. I need to check my car to see if I can see the build date somewhere. My VIN was assigned Oct 14th so my build may or may not have been after the Oct 7th cutoff. There is certainly no setting for "Comfort" suspension on my new car but maybe there isn't supposed to be. Regardless, I find the suspension about right for my tastes...a bit smoother than my CX-5 but still firm enough to feel the road and not floaty like a high end luxury car.

Had to disagree.

It'd be a great comparison and please do so.
The thing is the MY and M3 have much softer suspensions already than they did in 2018 (M3) and 2020/21 (MY). Although no one knows for sure when the changes occurred, if it was one single change, or if it was many smaller changes gradually over time. Ryan Shaw on YT said his new 2022 MYLR was much improved over his early 2020 MYLR. Out of Spec on YT compared 2019 M3P to 2022 M3P and 2022 M3P was much softer (too soft for their tastes for a P version). Many members on this site have noted 2022 MYPs being softer than their 2020/21 MYLRs.

Reactions: Thunder7ga
The thing is the MY and M3 have much softer suspensions already than they did in 2018 (M3) and 2020/21 (MY). Although no one knows for sure when the changes occurred, if it was one single change, or if it was many smaller changes gradually over time. Ryan Shaw on YT said his new 2022 MYLR was much improved over his early 2020 MYLR. Out of Spec on YT compared 2019 M3P to 2022 M3P and 2022 M3P was much softer (too soft for their tastes for a P version). Many members on this site have noted 2022 MYPs being softer than their 2020/21 MYLRs.
I have '21 and '22 MYs. I just want to see how the 'new' version feels. Comparison with 2018 M3 will do.

I have '21 and '22 MYs. I just want to see how the 'new' version feels. Comparison with 2018 M3 will do.
Same with me - 2018 Model 3 and 2021 Model Y. I don't love either of the stock suspensions so I'd be curious as to what the upgrade feels like. I'm sitting on MPP comforts (for the M3) that have yet to be installed, so hopefully that gives me some inkling of what an improvement could be like.

Reactions: GOVA
Does anyone know if the build date is listed on the car somewhere? I will have to check when I go to the car after work. I wondered if it is on the info sticker on the driver door frame? I also have one of those new car info/spec sheets that I just threw in the glovebox at delivery and never looked at it so maybe it is on there?

Same with me - 2018 Model 3 and 2021 Model Y. I don't love either of the stock suspensions so I'd be curious as to what the upgrade feels like. I'm sitting on MPP comforts (for the M3) that have yet to be installed, so hopefully that gives me some inkling of what an improvement could be like.
From my recent readings here, a lot can be achieved by just changing tires. I have gemini/continetal combo now. I'll change to different tire brand for sure once the time comes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Noflash
From my recent readings here, a lot can be achieved by just changing tires. I have gemini/continetal combo now. I'll change to different tire brand for sure once the time comes.
I have Pilot Sport AS4s on my 3. They help with handling stickiness, but they do nothing to fix high speed floatiness nor the jarring over bumps that comes from not having enough suspension travel.

My Model Y LR (19") was delivered on Monday and the suspension seems significantly improved over the Model Y that I test-drove in March 2022. Honestly, I have no complaints about the suspension at all. None whatsoever. When I compare it to my 2016 E350 I really can't feel any difference. The Model Y's suspension is fine, excellent really. I was sort of bracing myself for a rough ride, but it's not rough at all.

Did you guys see this story?

I can't find any details anywhere about what changes were made. Anyone get told anything or notice anything with their recent pickups?
We picked up our MYLR on 10-21-22 in Seattle. The VIN indicates it came out of Fremont. I suspect it does have this comfort suspension as it rides smoother and quieter than my friend’s MYP that’s close to a year older. However her car has the performance wheels and we have the geminis so we have that extra sidewall that equates to a smoother ride as well.

My Model Y LR (19") was delivered on Monday and the suspension seems significantly improved over the Model Y that I test-drove in March 2022. Honestly, I have no complaints about the suspension at all. None whatsoever. When I compare it to my 2016 E350 I really can't feel any difference. The Model Y's suspension is fine, excellent really. I was sort of bracing myself for a rough ride, but it's not rough at all.
Wow, this is real good news... Next we need to find out if we can upgrade/retrofit the older MYs with the new comfort suspension.

Does anyone know if the build date is listed on the car somewhere? I will have to check when I go to the car after work. I wondered if it is on the info sticker on the driver door frame? I also have one of those new car info/spec sheets that I just threw in the glovebox at delivery and never looked at it so maybe it is on there?
Month and year are on the drivers door jam certificate (not the tire pressure/load one)