Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just get a Model Y LR and add the acceleration boost. Real world #'s has acceleration figures basically the same. You "sacrifice" the lowered suspension, bigger wheels and fancy letters on the screen but that's basically it. You gain range and save thousands of dollars though. If you're old like me these are worthy sacrifices if the ride quality is more supple for longer trips.
Thanks man that's a great idea, I completely forgot about the acceleration boost option. I did order a MYLR, EDD 2-31 Mar. I was really tempted today with the new updated tax cap to upgrade to MYP or just get the bigger rims and white interior but I think I'll keep what I have.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I have a June ‘22 build MYLR, have around 6k miles. The suspension seems perfectly fine to me. I just finished an 800 mile road trip and it was perfectly comfortable.
Same with my 2020 MYLR. It’s not riding on a cloud but it’s also really not a big deal. With the variety of experiences, I feel like tire pressure and people not used to larger wheels is a major part of the issue here, potentially much more significant in a lot of cases.

Also worth remembering there’s a nice little industry going on for companies selling expensive aftermarket suspension, supported by the multiple posters on this site who seem to have received free/discounted gear but don’t mention that until asked. Also some questionable reviews - I just looked at one of the Mountain Pass products and the first review talks of “hours of whining and moaning” because of the suspension whenever they drive their family in their Tesla! Really? Sounds like much more than a problem with the car to me.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
My fear of poor ride quality is the main reason I'm not getting better rims or the MYP. I would love the speed and acceleration, plus the MYP rims are beautiful, but I don't think I want to sacrifice ride comfort for that. I think If I were younger and single yea, but my wife would prefer comfort as well.
Why don’t you schedule a test drive to check out the ride quality for yourself? Maybe it’s just me, but I try to rely on my own personal experiences over the opinions of random internet people whenever possible.

For the record, my wife and kids have never complained about the ride quality in the Y Performance. Considering my life spans six decades at this point, I’m no longer young myself and would prefer a more plush ride when considering a new vehicle. That said, there’s nothing that needs to be changed in the current MYP suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich
Why don’t you schedule a test drive to check out the ride quality for yourself? Maybe it’s just me, but I try to rely on my own personal experiences over the opinions of random internet people whenever possible.

For the record, my wife and kids have never complained about the ride quality in the Y Performance. Considering my life spans six decades at this point, I’m no longer young myself and would prefer a more plush ride when considering a new vehicle. That said, there’s nothing that needs to be changed in the current MYP suspension.
I would if it was convenient, my pick-up location is 4.5 hrs away in Jacksonville, FL and other closest location is 5.5hrs in Atlanta,GA

02/23. Picked it up at the factory.

574D54E6-B231-4F7F-B3FB-9D2FFA02CD37.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I'm waiting for my MYP with delivery estimate some time in March. I test drove a MY LR today in NJ and can tell the suspension were the comfort ones. I purposely ran over bumps to see lol. When I got back I asked the guy in the front if the MYP has the comfort suspension and they weren't sure. The guy when in the back and asked the service department and they said the comfort suspension is on both MY LR and MYP. Made me happy, made me smile.

FWIW, I just took delivery on a 2023 MYP and the updated suspension on this car is NOTICEABLY better than my previous 2020 MYP and 2022 M3P. I'm extremely happy with the ride quality!
Post the part numbers on your front and rear suspension when you get a chance. Trying to build a somewhat reliable knowledge base here for people who might have questions about their ‘23 MYP suspension and to see if it’s consistent with what others are getting. Thanks.

Post the part numbers on your front and rear suspension when you get a chance. Trying to build a somewhat reliable knowledge base here for people who might have questions about their ‘23 MYP suspension and to see if it’s consistent with what others are getting. Thanks.
How does one do that? I’m happy to post the info for my 12/21/2023 delivered MYLR if you tell me how and it’s not too hard (e.g. putting the car on a ramp, etc). Thanks!

Hmmm, given that there are MULTIPLE dampers listed in the online catalog - epc.tesla.com - it seems they have changed something. Admittedly, they could have changed numbers for some other reason, but it seems unlikely. As an example, here are the rear damper (aka shock) part #s:

Regular Dual Motor:
1188463-00-D
1188463-00-E <== the 2023 MYLR - 12/2022 build date - I drove had either this or a "-F" version which I don't see in the catalog...my pic is a little blurry...I think it is "E"

Performance:
1188465-00-D
1188465-00-E
1188465-00-F <== the 2023 MYP - 01/2023 build date - I drove had this rear shock (took a picture)

Details for my various test drives are in this thread: Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

Both the LR and Performance were definitely better than their respective predecessors per my reviews in the other thread. Neither are awesome still, but definitely better.

How does one do that? I’m happy to post the info for my 12/21/2023 delivered MYLR if you tell me how and it’s not too hard (e.g. putting the car on a ramp, etc). Thanks!
For the rear, you can probably take a pic of the vertical black shock absorber tube through one of the openings in the hub cab. You are looking specifically for the white square sticker. It will have a few different numbers on it, you are looking for the number that matches the format of what I have in the post above. For the front struts, you may have to turn the wheel all the way right or left to get a good pic of the white sticker on the strut - again the format will be similar. It helps if you have a flashlight to light it up a bit. Crappy pic of example below - the number you want is on the top of the label (far left in example below):
20230208_132635.jpg

Reactions: GoodKarma
Rear: 1188465-00-F
Right Front: 1188376-00-F
Left Front: 1188371-00-F

These are the part numbers I pulled off my ‘23 MYP built in Oct ‘22. Now I don’t know if they are actually the “comfort suspension” (as I was told by someone from Tesla over the phone), or if it’s a revision of a previous suspension that they are referring to as “comfort” (currently revision F). I’m so confused. 😕 However, what I’m not confused about is the ride quality, which I find perfectly acceptable to me, and I really have no complaints about it.

Additionally, what I found on the Tesla parts catalog page is that the description for those part numbers include “Dual Motor”, which doesn’t appear in the previous revisions as far as I can tell. Not sure if that’s an indicator or not. Parts Catalog
^ What I shared earlier in this thread.

For the rear, you can probably take a pic of the vertical black shock absorber tube through one of the openings in the hub cab. You are looking specifically for the white square sticker. It will have a few different numbers on it, you are looking for the number that matches the format of what I have in the post above. For the front struts, you may have to turn the wheel all the way right or left to get a good pic of the white sticker on the strut - again the format will be similar. It helps if you have a flashlight to light it up a bit. Crappy pic of example below - the number you want is on the top of the label (far left in example below):
View attachment 908426

@cab - Thanks for the pointers. I took pictures of the Right Front and the Rear from my 12/2022 build 2023 MYLR. The numbers are:
1188463-00-E Rear (the pic is from the rear right - I'm assuming it's the same for the rear left)
1188368-00-H Front Right

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Hmmm, given that there are MULTIPLE dampers listed in the online catalog - epc.tesla.com - it seems they have changed something. Admittedly, they could have changed numbers for some other reason, but it seems unlikely. As an example, here are the rear damper (aka shock) part #s:

Regular Dual Motor:
1188463-00-D
1188463-00-E <== the 2023 MYLR - 12/2022 build date - I drove had either this or a "-F" version which I don't see in the catalog...my pic is a little blurry...I think it is "E"

Performance:
1188465-00-D
1188465-00-E
1188465-00-F <== the 2023 MYP - 01/2023 build date - I drove had this rear shock (took a picture)

Details for my various test drives are in this thread: Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

Both the LR and Performance were definitely better than their respective predecessors per my reviews in the other thread. Neither are awesome still, but definitely better.
They said this comfort suspension was implemented in 2023 YLR model coming from Fremont and Shangai Gigafactories.
Do you know when they implement it in Berlin Gigafactory?