Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y "Expected Delivery Date" Craziness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I have to admit my lack of humor sense about your response. I'm lack of the united states culture background as a foreigner to understand how elementary school kids talk here. If it's a joke, I'll take back my strong words as a response to your joke.
Understood that's okay. But I must admit I'm a bit surprised that little kids don't interact substantially the same way everywhere in the world.

In any case I got a kick out of it.

I have the similar experience. This is the worst (very very very bad) online ordering experience I ever have.
I called the Tesla local shop sales people and was told that just don't trust those dates.
Tesla has a really long way to go in the car industry and business. So amateur.
Starting week 11 of my original 2-11 week delivery timeframe. Date changes daily always pushed further away. I ordered on 6/5 MYLR. SA won’t respond at all!

I feel everyone's pain all to well. This is the part of the Tesla ordering process that sucks. Compared to my refresh Model S in progress, my MY order was a dream. My original date was Aug/Sep for it. Then it was solidly in Sept. Then for an entire month, literally an entire month, there was no estimated delivery date (EDD).

A few days ago an EDD showed up along with the "sorry letter" and now I am at end of Oct to early Nov. Who knows where it will be in a month. The MY timeframe seems a lot more solid.

Switched my order from a MYLR to a MYP and have noticed that the expected delivery dates have been all over the place, same as they were when I was under the long-range order. Initially projected 6-8 weeks, then Tesla was showing a range of August 20 - September 4, went back to 6-8 weeks, then back to a range of August 22 - September 10. Anyone having a similar experience with their MYP order? My original MR order was 7/27 and was changed to the performance model on 8/5. Order is for a MYP white/black interior going to Knoxville, TN.
My advice to anyone ordering a car - don't change anything. It will totally mess with the delivery date.

My advice to anyone ordering a car - don't change anything. It will totally mess with the delivery date.
Generally yes in the current backordered situation, but it's not necessarily a wrong move to switch a fairly recent MYLR order to an MYP. The latter has much shorter lead time.

Of course it's even better to decide all that before ordering, but it's a bit like picking the right checkout line at a busy store, a lot of second guessing. Should I stay in my slow-moving line, jump to that other line, abandon a few desired items in my cart so I can use the express line? Multiply the waiting times into months, and the shopping dollars into tens of thousands, welcome to Teslamart.

If this article is anything to go by, hold out hope that Tesla is dissuading Model 3 SR/SR+ buyers with a 2022 delivery date at the earliest in the hopes they can work through their other queues (mainly the Model Y). Again, it's a stretch, but this topic is basically the epitome of optimism.

Normally that's true, however last year when I was waiting on my MY (ended up waiting 6 months) white interiors weren't being produced - info I picked up on here. When I switched to black I had a delivery date within a few days. And yes that date held - just at the start of this COVID mess so supply chain issues weren't quite the factor they are now.

I would love a buying experience somewhere between Tesla and a traditional car maker dealership. Online ordering, transparent pricing, quick easy physical delivery from Tesla with available inventory, reliable delivery dates on orders, and better initial fit and finish quality of traditional brands. I give kudos to Tesla for bucking the industry's requirements for independent dealerships but I also think that they get a too much of a pass when it comes to dropping the ball on the smaller details simply because they are Tesla.

Every manufacturer is having issues building cars to sell at the moment. I've gone to a few Chevy dealers recently working through my Bolt buyback and lots are near empty. When I went to the dealership where I bought two Bolts (who is actually terrific with their sales and service), my salesperson said "We're basically a used car dealership now" because they can't get any new car into sell with any regularity. With the demand for Teslas being at an all time high in the middle of a worldwide supply chain crunch, I can understand why my MY has a 4 month lead time...well, I have no EDD ATM so who knows. I can wait. The excitement of my new M3 will keep me occupied until then.

I'd never choose to order a car in person. Today is three years with my M3 and 13 months with my MY. I don't think that the Tesla Shopping Experience is for everyone but it is certainly right for me.

In other news, my mother-in-law's Mercedes-Benz GLC which she ordered in-person from a dealership in June with a promised August delivery date has still not been delivered. It's not just a Tesla thing.

Reactions: Dennisis
Yup. So simple and easy. None of the dealer BS. We used Costco auto program (fixed price, no negotiations) for an Audi and it still took ~2 hours to get through all of the usual dealer BS. That's never happening again.

I'd never choose to order a car in person. Today is three years with my M3 and 13 months with my MY. I don't think that the Tesla Shopping Experience is for everyone but it is certainly right for me.

In other news, my mother-in-law's Mercedes-Benz GLC which she ordered in-person from a dealership in June with a promised August delivery date has still not been delivered. It's not just a Tesla thing.

Yup. So simple and easy. None of the dealer BS. We used Costco auto program (fixed price, no negotiations) for an Audi and it still took ~2 hours to get through all of the usual dealer BS. That's never happening again.
And not sit through another extended warranty and wheel and tire insurance sit down with the finance manager before you can leave? That's the American Way for God's sake!

Switched my order from a MYLR to a MYP and have noticed that the expected delivery dates have been all over the place, same as they were when I was under the long-range order. Initially projected 6-8 weeks, then Tesla was showing a range of August 20 - September 4, went back to 6-8 weeks, then back to a range of August 22 - September 10. Anyone having a similar experience with their MYP order? My original MR order was 7/27 and was changed to the performance model on 8/5. Order is for a MYP white/black interior going to Knoxville, TN.
I was about to ask a similar question, our went from September to October to December then back to September and now October?? Of course I haven’t been able to locate a phone number to actually speak to a Tesla Rep, little disappointed. Hopefully, once we actually get the car the follow up service will improve. For now - we are questioning the decision….

I was about to ask a similar question, our went from September to October to December then back to September and now October?? Of course I haven’t been able to locate a phone number to actually speak to a Tesla Rep, little disappointed. Hopefully, once we actually get the car the follow up service will improve. For now - we are questioning the decision….
There are many satisfied owners out there. If certainty in the ordering process or white glove service after the sale are must haves don’t buy a Tesla. Read all the available info here first and decide if you can go a bit outside your comfort zone. If so press on, if not buy a Lexus/BMW/? then see what EVs are available in 3 - 5 years.