Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Falcon Wing Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not ignoring it. His comment was presented as evidence who actually said that. So who knows why he deleted it. But at least we know he actually said it at one time. Still baffles me he would even say that less than one year ago. You'd think he would have learned his lesson by now.

Given Elon's penchant for movie and Sci-Fi references we could end up with models named:
Bellerophon, Enterprise, Prometheus, Yamato, Galactica, Serenity, Nostromo, Discovery One, or many others.

I'd totally buy a Tesla Yamato 60D!

Ok, wow, that's still messed up! I can't imagine with all the complexity and cost of the Falcon Wing Doors that he'd even consider doing that again. He's already admitted that he over-did it with the Model X in terms of too much technology.. I really can't see him actually doing it for the lower priced crossover car.

Well, they've figured out most of the production kinks of the Model X by now and with the ramp up for the Model 3 they will surely have the technology and knowledge to put Falcon Wing doors on a Model Y without running into the same old issues..
The problem wasn't the fact that they've put Falcon Wing doors on a Model X in general, but the fact that they were not ready in terms of production at that point.

Ok, wow, that's still messed up! I can't imagine with all the complexity and cost of the Falcon Wing Doors that he'd even consider doing that again. He's already admitted that he over-did it with the Model X in terms of too much technology.. I really can't see him actually doing it for the lower priced crossover car.
He's been quoted as saying that most of the issues are due to software refinement - figuring out how to correctly interpret the sensor information, etc. Assuming that they do manage to sort out those issues on the X to everyone's satisfaction, I could see them reusing the technology on the Y.
So ignore the fact that he deleted that tweet "immediately"?
I believe he deleted it because he gave away more information than intended (regarding the Model Y). Of course, "the horse already left the barn", as they say.

He's been quoted as saying that most of the issues are due to software refinement - figuring out how to correctly interpret the sensor information, etc. Assuming that they do manage to sort out those issues on the X to everyone's satisfaction, I could see them reusing the technology on the Y.

Personal prediction: They'll eventually abandon the falcon wing doors for the Model Y. Even if they have the hardware production issues ironed out, the doors still add a lot of cost and long term reliability issues to the vehicle. This is assuming they target the MY to be like the M3 and hit the lower cost auto/SUV demographic. If it's just a smaller MX for similar pricing, then they might do it.

He seems pretty willing to talk design in terms of other future vehicles without going back and deleting his tweets.

It would have been the same situation if he accidentally tweeted about those platforms last year, way before unveiling the master plan part deux.

I think they will keep the Falcon Wing doors. They are a huge convenience, especially when handling children in baby/child seats. I don't think they will remove fatures that solidify the platform to cut costs. People who don't want to pay for these doors can buy a Model 3 and I'm sure by the time the Model Y makes it to production the process has been optimized and the FW doors won't be as expensive as they currently are.

Is the Model Y going to have a 3rd row? If not, and FWD would only be for the 2nd row of seats, why not install FWD on the S and 3 also?
Model S and 3 are / will be sedans. Model X and Y are / will be SUVs/CUVs.
They have different use cases. You could install FW doors on any car. You could install regular doors on Model Xs. At the end of the day it's up to Tesla. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
It depends on what you call "base".. if by overall design, you are correct. But (1) The Model X is built on the Model S chassis, and (b) from what I've heard, the Model Y will be built on the Model 3 chassis.

You are correct. I got it mixed up in my head. I'll edit my post accordingly.

I still think that they will keep using FW doors or something similar for their SUV/CUV models. Elon would not have deleted the tweet if it was just a mistake. Otherwise he would have simply corrected himself or said that nothing was set in stone. Deleting the tweet completely makes it look like he said something the public should not know about yet.

Reactions: Red Sage
Considering the Model SEXY naming scheme was publicly known before that tweet, I'd say that was the least secret thing in that message.
Yes, but they had to drop the "Model E" name and use the "Model 3" instead. So even if the "SEXY" naming joke was publicly known, it was not confirmed that they would implement it all the way to the "Model Y".

Model S and 3 are / will be sedans. Model X and Y are / will be SUVs/CUVs.
They have different use cases. You could install FW doors on any car. You could install regular doors on Model Xs. At the end of the day it's up to Tesla. We'll see.

Didn't address my question.

If the Model Y is a 2-row, 5-seat CUV, why would it need FWD? You're not getting anyone or anything into/out of the 3rd row in that case. And wouldn't it be easier to get a child into the 2nd row seat of a Model S with FWD? So why not just put them on the Model S?