Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y free upgrade performance 05/10/20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it was always like this, same for the 3. only people with too much money will go with the smaller wheels for "comfort"

hahha that’s true. Rich ppl like “yeah I don’t need any of that free stuff”

Those 21s are nice looking tho, I get a lot of compliments. I’ll swap them out for some forged 19s with beefy tires eventually though. Save money in tires that way

• Disagree
Reactions: bpobill
Not rich person here. I am not adding the pup to save money actually. Sure those upgrades are free now, but 21 inch tires cost more, those wheels will break easier on potholes and will cost more to replace, larger brakes will have more expensive pads, less range due to heavier wheels/tires means more expensive to charge over time. Plus I don't want less ground clearance on a CUV which already has pretty weak ground clearance compared to other vehicles in its segment.

Not rich person here. I am not adding the pup to save money actually. Sure those upgrades are free now, but 21 inch tires cost more, those wheels will break easier on potholes and will cost more to replace, larger brakes will have more expensive pads, less range due to heavier wheels/tires means more expensive to charge over time. Plus I don't want less ground clearance on a CUV which already has pretty weak ground clearance compared to other vehicles in its segment.

This. The 'free' Performance upgrade will cost more than the jump from AWD to P over the usable life of the car.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I know the Performance 3+ gets upgraded brakes but the Performance Y+ doesn’t get big Performance 3 brakes, The Performance Y+ just gets regular Y brakes painted red, the look good that way but likely the same pads.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
The biggest costs by far are the bigger / performance tires and the impact on range for the life of the car.
Right, but someone said the brakes cost more but they don’t, I didn’t say anything about the tires. The particular 21" size tires they use on the Performance Y+ has very limited availability options and is significantly more expensive. The PY+ tires are so close to the optional Model S 21’s it’s a shame they didn’t match the size and in that process make inventory of tires much simpler and cheaper. Front 245/35’s vs 255/35’s and rears 265/35’s vs 275/35’s

Last edited:

I have been thinking the same thing. If I got a Model Y ( I am waiting on the CT) I would just get the Performance model and replace the wheels with aftermarket which are much better than Tesla's whether i would get the PUP or not

I know the Performance 3+ gets upgraded brakes but the Performance Y+ doesn’t get big Performance 3 brakes, The Performance Y+ just gets regular Y brakes painted red, the look good that way but likely the same pads.
Source? Both ordering pages describe the Performance Upgrade including "Performance brakes." The Y page doesn't say "Red brakes" and it would be really anomalous for there to be a discrepancy between the Performance Upgrades for 3 and Y.

Source? Both ordering pages describe the Performance Upgrade including "Performance brakes." The Y page doesn't say "Red brakes" and it would be really anomalous for there to be a discrepancy between the Performance Upgrades for 3 and Y.
Yeah just red paint, the Performance 3 red brakes are visibly different from the standard range and long range RWD/AWD. The regular S and X had used the same brakes as the Performance S and X, till the Raven cars, just with high performance red paint. You can look at the Performance 3 and see the huge difference in size between the AWD and the Performance 3 brakes. The actual Performance 3 also uses some different suspension components for a slightly lower ride. The PY uses lower ride height too but same calipers, just painted red. The rotors are the same diameter on both Model Y’s but .008 thicker on the Performance Y, presumably to dissipate a little bit of heat or at least be a bigger heat sink. It’s not really like many EV’s brakes get worked that hard to actually make a difference.
E3A0FB27-10DD-4C07-8212-09A6841161B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude