Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model-Y headlights - getting flashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I'm getting flashed at night (a bit)

When I had the M3 that was a common thing, after a software update. My car is parked on the flat; I haven't seen any threads about MY having a problem with headlight alignment after OTA updates, so just wanted opinion on whether its just me (and I need to get them realigned) or a generic problem?

Can I just reset them somehow?

Do they seem out of alignment to you when you look at what they illuminate, I really wouldn't base anything on what some other bozo is flashing. You align them in the same way as the Model 3, under the service menu.

Reactions: boombap
Yep agree with @GRiLLA I would suspect the headlights going out of whack is common for all 3's and Y's post software updates. I have to reset my 3's lights after every update, I'll do the same once my Y arrives.

Let them auto adjust in the service menu

Do they seem out of alignment to you when you look at what they illuminate

No, but I don't think that the M3 ones did either. Definitely not pointing directly upward unless I missed an OTA in the release notes for the "festive tree-uplighter mode" :)

I really wouldn't base anything on what some other bozo is flashing

its several people, but not everyone. Plus I've never had that before in the MY (arrived in Feb, so there would have been plenty of winter nights, similar to now), so I think something is "up" ... sorry about that!

You align them in the same way as the Model 3, under the service menu.
Let them auto adjust in the service menu

Thanks I'll do that.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else in an MY is having this issue (post OTA update), thanks.

The dipped beam on the Model Y is a bugbear of mine, not changed with any update, it's just the wrong shape with a big step up on the near side and should be flatter.
Adjusting the Matrix lights are different to the standard headlights, the level you set them to when calibrating is not where they remain afterwards, they automatically adjust to region specific requirements.
You need a flat area the right distance from a wall and lots of measuring required, bit of a ball ache to be honest. i set mine a bit lower than the service book recommends so the nearside is not dazzling vehicles but the offside is now a bit low but with the beam pattern it can never be right.
Tesla could easily change the pattern with a software update or better still enable the Matrix lights to actually work how they are meant to.
Here is a link to the workshop manual on how to adjust the headlights, the are call Global lights.
Hope the link works.

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
No, but I don't think that the M3 ones did either. Definitely not pointing directly upward unless I missed an OTA in the release notes for the "festive tree-uplighter mode" :)

its several people, but not everyone. Plus I've never had that before in the MY (arrived in Feb, so there would have been plenty of winter nights, similar to now), so I think something is "up" ... sorry about that!

Thanks I'll do that.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else in an MY is having this issue (post OTA update), thanks.
Exactly my experience driving home last night.
The beam cut-off didn’t look any different from the drivers seat - but tbf that was in spray, urban traffic, grime-encrusted car…
Received a few flicks of full beam once on the rolling, faster lanes closer to home.

Reactions: WannabeOwner