Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y heat pump issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have friends in Missoula on the way over and in the Spokane area so I'm OK with the drive over. My heat output has been entirely tolerable, even if a bit below what it was in the past. The heated steering wheel the Bolt had is something I miss though... Based on the numbers in Washington I don't think I'll be doing anything that involves anyone other than the service center and close friends...

Reactions: andaconda
I have friends in Missoula on the way over and in the Spokane area so I'm OK with the drive over. My heat output has been entirely tolerable, even if a bit below what it was in the past. The heated steering wheel the Bolt had is something I miss though... Based on the numbers in Washington I don't think I'll be doing anything that involves anyone other than the service center and close friends...
OT but your Covid exposure risk isn't wildly different between Butte, Missoula, and Spokane.

1642786655747.png

Something is off with the Front Air Vent flap system. It gets into 40s here in Arizona and the grill stays open regardless. I had Tesla look into it when I took it in for Garage opener install, and they said everything checks out. Shouldn't the flap be closed when the car is idle and temp is cool!
Old answer but I’m realizing mine does the same thing. It’s now sleeping in the garage at 5C and it’s open

Reactions: GOVA
The only way I managed to get back from SLC was to turn the defrosters to max. That would at least heat up the cabin. I'd have to cycle it on and off to keep the ride tolerable. A good place to charge up is in Superior - great diner across the street. We always get there near lunch time. I charge nearly to max and that gives us enough time to finish our meal. Good luck on your trip. Maybe they'll give you a loaner while yours is getting fixed.

The only way I managed to get back from SLC was to turn the defrosters to max. That would at least heat up the cabin. I'd have to cycle it on and off to keep the ride tolerable. A good place to charge up is in Superior - great diner across the street. We always get there near lunch time. I charge nearly to max and that gives us enough time to finish our meal. Good luck on your trip. Maybe they'll give you a loaner while yours is getting fixed.
Thanx. I'll keep you posted. Off to Colorado for a bit to ski with friends. Not Tesla-ing down there though...

Reactions: andaconda
I for one am going to cut a piece of cardboard to put in front of the grill, like I did with my old Fords. If it gets below 10 degrees Fahrenheit I'll cover the louvers! Just my thoughts FWIW
I may have to rethink my take on this....
This morning it was 15 F outside when I set the climate control. I immediately went out to look at the intake louvers. To my surprise, they were wide open. When I felt in front of them air was being blown outward. I thought that air would only get sucked in. Now I don't know what to think . . .

• Informative
Reactions: Tokodave and DrGriz
I may have to rethink my take on this....
This morning it was 15 F outside when I set the climate control. I immediately went out to look at the intake louvers. To my surprise, they were wide open. When I felt in front of them air was being blown outward. I thought that air would only get sucked in. Now I don't know what to think . . .
Are you sure it was blowing air? When a lot of air is sucked in, it can feel like it's blowing. Verify with a paper sheet.

I have heard the vent cycle on occasion, it just closes momentarily and opens right back while parked. So I am now familiar with sound and just happen to notice the vent closing while my wife is pulling out of the garage. Who knows if it stays closed or opens back after driving away !!

Thanx. I'll keep you posted. Off to Colorado for a bit to ski with friends. Not Tesla-ing down there though...
As it turns out it would have been fine to take the T down there....just wasn't sure of the charging infrastructure... It turns out there's a Supercharger in Kremmling just 25 miles away from Granby where we were staying with friends. Between that and relatively abundant Level 2 charging it would have been no problem. Off to Spokane Wednesday AM...

Last edited:
As it turns out it would have been fine to take the T down there....just wasn't sure of the charging infrastructure... It turns out there's a Supercharger in Kremmling just 25 miles away from Granby where we were staying with friends. Between that and relatively abundant Level 2 charging it would have been no problem. Off to Spokane Wednesday AM...
Do your side markers bloom orange like this on the display when the blinkers are engaged at night like mine? If yours does, maybe you could ask them if there is a fix while you have it in for service. Hopefully the heating parts are in for you already. I will be going to the Spokane area next week myself.

Last edited:
Do your side markers bloom orange like this on the display when the blinkers are engaged at night like mine? If yours does, maybe you could ask them if there is a fix while you have it in for service. Hopefully the heating parts are in for you already. I will be going to the Spokane area next week myself.
No. Mine seem to be fine, as others have noted, the side markers are partially obscured by your hands since they are the bottom part of the screen. Seems like that would be an easy fix but it hasn't happened yet. In spite of that I do find the helpful. I do have a couple trim/fit issues with the driver door that I'll see if they can fix...

No. Mine seem to be fine, as others have noted, the side markers are partially obscured by your hands since they are the bottom part of the screen. Seems like that would be an easy fix but it hasn't happened yet. In spite of that I do find the helpful. I do have a couple trim/fit issues with the driver door that I'll see if they can fix...
Good luck! Let us know your results.